[comp.sys.atari.st] Keyboard lockup?

bane@arisia.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) (11/01/88)

Every so often when I've been in WordWriter for about an hour, the keyboard
will start slowly repeating the last 10 or so keys I've typed.  After filling
about a line and a half with this stuff, the machine will crash, twice:
two or three bombs the first time, and ten the second.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this?  It's very intermittent, and I'm not
sure what the problem could be; my first guess would be the keyboard chip
running away with itself.  I've never seen it happen anywhere but in
WordWriter, but I spend 90% of my time there.  The only thing I've ever
done to the keyboard chip is remove it from its socket when I had a battery
backup from MicroTime on it; that's no longer there.
--
	Rene P.S. Bane
	ReneBane.pa@xerox.ARPA

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (11/02/88)

In article <439@arisia.Xerox.COM> bane@arisia.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:
>Every so often when I've been in WordWriter for about an hour, the keyboard
>will start slowly repeating the last 10 or so keys I've typed.  After filling
>about a line and a half with this stuff, the machine will crash, twice:
>two or three bombs the first time, and ten the second.

A similar bug I got using 1st Word Plus, though very seldom.
The last few typed keys are repeated several times on the
monitor, then the system crashes (two or three bombs, I don't
remember). I you notice the bug you have the chance to hurry
with the mouse into the menu bar and save the file to disk -
sometimes.

Rainer Klute

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663