[comp.sys.atari.st] Sozobon C and dLibs v1.2 -- RELEASE

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (11/06/88)

From: dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher)

[Fiacha of Glencar@hjuxa.UUCP (Fiacha of Glencar) writes...]
> From article <643@stag.UUCP>, by to_stdnet@stag.UUCP:
>> From: dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher)
>>
>>> Why use Sobozon C when Mark Williams C is available is and such a fine
>>> product at a great price?? You can buy MWC for as low as $125.
>>
>> Well, for one thing, Sozobon is FREE.  Secondly, it comes with SOURCE CODE
>> for EVERYTHING.
>
> OK So where can I get a copy?

The following is the "announcement" that came on the distribution disk.
There are further comments at the end, and it's short, so please read
it all (especially archive moderators!).

				Announcing

			  The Sozobon C Compiler

A new freeware C compiler has been developed by Sozobon, Limited and is
being distributed through bulletin board systems, networks of various
kinds, and by direct mail. The package was written by Johann Ruegg, Tony
Andrews, and Joe Treat and includes the following features:

  * Full K&R compiler supporting: bit fields, structure assignment,
    structure parameters and return values, enumerations, and floating
    point.

  * Full source code available at no additional cost.

  * Compiler includes: front-end, optimizer, assembler, and linker.

  * Code generation averages 5% to 15% better than Alcyon.

  * Uses Dale Schumacher's dLibs runtime library (version 1.2) for
    runtime support.

  * Generates Alcyon-compatible object modules and libraries.

  * A complete package, including utilities like: cc, ar, size, nm, and
    an enhanced version of a PD make program.

  * Includes a utility that removes local symbols from Alcyon libraries,
    reducing their size by around 30%.

The entire system is being distributed as freeware. If you receive this
announcement, but are unable to find the compiler, you can order it from
us directly by sending $10 (checks payable to Tony Andrews) to:

		Tony Andrews
		5902E Gunbarrel Ave.
		Boulder, CO 80301

You'll receive one double-sided or two single-sided disks containing the
compiler (source code and executables), documentation, and version 1.2
of dLibs (includes source). Be sure to specify single or double-sided
disks and include your full return address. The $10 charge covers shipping
and handling only. The product itself is free.  You're encouraged to make
copies for friends, upload it to bulletin boards, or put it in the disk
library of your local user's group. Help us get the compiler distributed,
so fewer people have to pay $10 for it, and we don't spend the rest of our
lives copying floppies.

					Tony Andrews
					10/22/88
					Sozobon, Limited

The package, which comes as three .ARC files (compiler binaries,
compiler sources, and dLibs), has been posted to (at least) Compu$erve,
GEnie and BIX.  Tony has been having trouble getting news out from
his site, so I'm posting this information.  ARCHIVE MODERATORS: please
send me uucp addresses that Tony and/or I could use to try to reach you.
Include land-mail addresses also, since that may end up working better.
So far, Tony hasn't heard back from any messages sent to various archive
sites.  The file sizes on the distibution disk are:

     2027   ANNOUNCE
   185522   DLIBS12.ARC
   194571   SC_BIN.ARC
   246884   SC_SRC.ARC
      751   README
     5 files  (629755 bytes).

As an aside, the release of Sozobon C also means that dLibs v1.2 has
been released and is available either from me, or through Sozobon.  I'm
holding off on sending dLibs to the archivers since it will arrive as
part of Sozobon's package.

--
      Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.
      (alias: Dalnefre')                      St. Paul, MN  55104