[comp.sys.atari.st] Computer algebra

ivan@rzsin.sin.ch ("Ivan D. Reid") (10/26/88)

	Does anyone know of computer algebra programmes for the Atari ST?  I
have just sent off to an address in England about REDUCE, and am trying to
get a line on another programme called SCHOONSHIP which was apparently devel-
oped at CERN.  Is there anything else available?  Approximate prices and the
names of distributors (preferably in the vicinity of Zuerich (:-) would be
appreciated.
	Thanx in advance,
			idr

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (10/28/88)

In article <33*ivan@rzsin.sin.ch> ivan@rzsin.sin.ch ("Ivan D. Reid") writes:

>	Does anyone know of computer algebra programmes for the Atari ST?

		I think that Maple is being ported to the Atari ST.
		No further details available.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

javoskamp@watmum.waterloo.edu (Jeff Voskamp) (10/28/88)

In article <1915@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <33*ivan@rzsin.sin.ch> ivan@rzsin.sin.ch ("Ivan D. Reid") writes:
>>
>>	Does anyone know of computer algebra programmes for the Atari ST?
>
>		I think that Maple is being ported to the Atari ST.
>		No further details available.

Maple is being ported (I should know - I'm doing it).  Almost ready for
BETA testing - any volunteers?  If you are interested contact me by email.

Warning:  Maple will take up about 4 megabytes of disk space if you
want the full distribution and isn't terribly comfortable with less
than about 1 meg of RAM.  It does quite well on a MegaST2.

As for final price - should be the same as for the Amiga or Mac: somewhere
around $400.00 .  I'm not sure - I just develop it, I'm not in sales.

Jeff Voskamp
--
Views expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of the
Symbolic Computation Group or those of the University.

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (10/28/88)

In article <33*ivan@rzsin.sin.ch> ivan@rzsin.sin.ch ("Ivan D. Reid") writes:
>	Does anyone know of computer algebra programmes for the Atari ST?

We use Schoonschip here, it costs approx $400,-, comes in a blue cartridge
and can be ordered from the author:
	Topsoft, Inc.
	2300 Woodside
	Ann Arbor, Mi 48104
Schoonschip is a simple but powerful language to handle big (<100000 terms)
expressions, do not expect factorization, diiferentiation etc built-in.

I have seen a PD version of Reduce form Germany, but also heard that this
version is illegal, so I do not know what the verdict is.

Being tested here but not yet available is Form, a program of the Schoonschip
type which can handle larger expressions and is faster still.

Hope this helps,
						G. J. van Oldenborgh

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (11/01/88)

In article <560@nikhefh.hep.nl>, t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) writes:
> I have seen a PD version of Reduce form Germany, but also heard that this
> version is illegal, so I do not know what the verdict is.

Thereis no PD version of Reduce.
Only bootleg - illegal.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (11/08/88)

I recently ran across a brief mention of REDUCE in a book on computer algebra/
simulation. Apparently, this product is a available in Germany for around
$500.00 (US).

I do not have the name of the company, nor do I have a copy of REDUCE. I
should be able to dig up  the name of the book if anyone is interested.

--Patrick Simon                mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu
11-7-88