[comp.sys.atari.st] tt tt/x rumours

DAVEA%VXCERN.decnet.cern@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/07/88)

  I dont wish to defend Atari but I think a lot of vague ghostly
rumours are being drawn to create a lot of thin air. Just because
this machine has been rumoured and because Atari has a big stand
at Comdex does no automatically produce a Link (would that I was wrong!)

  I think Atari have every write to come down on people who relase data
clearly marked for internal circulation ... ideas floating round
a lab dont become products all the time. It is clear that Atari
must continue to go up market with a 68030 product to cover the
market between the Megas and the Abaq (I prefer the old name) and
that the old Tos 1.3 wont be good enough to match the things the
030 is capable off. This development will take time and what
is there that forces to release a hasty product now. Surely theu
should wait for the state of the market to clarify itself
 I would expect a product in 6 months time and I hope that
all the rumour mongering doesnt taint the public into
expecting and demanding things that dont exist.

 Freedom in information is all and good in a perfect world but
I think a bit of respect for other peoples rights to retain
privacy of information is also called for

stephen@plx.UUCP (Stephen Heath ) (11/08/88)

In article <8811071442.AA20872@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DAVEA%VXCERN.decnet.cern@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>   I dont wish to defend Atari but I think a lot of vague ghostly
> rumours are being drawn to create a lot of thin air. Just because
> this machine has been rumoured and because Atari has a big stand
> at Comdex does no automatically produce a Link (would that I was wrong!)

There have been comments on this net from atari net addresses which
address weither the TT system would have SYS V vers berkely 4.X
features among other comments.   If there is no such system planned
for introduction then atari itself is guilty of the thin air you speak of.

>   I think Atari have every write to come down on people who relase data
> clearly marked for internal circulation ... ideas floating round

I believe you are refering to an individual who reported what he
saw in a german magazine.  He was well with in his rights to post
what information he was in possession of.  In fact if they were
just rumors then he was within his rights to pass them on.  This
is called free speech sinces intensions were not the libel atari.

Atari can, if its desire, deny that any development is taking
place and that no such product is being readied for introduction.
That have had ample opportunity to do so but have not.  They
have their reasons and we can only hope that honesty is playing
a part in not wanting to deny such.

Honesty from atari?   What a concept.
[ Replace atari with your favorite company. :) :) :) ]

> a lab dont become products all the time. It is clear that Atari
> must continue to go up market with a 68030 product to cover the
> market between the Megas and the Abaq (I prefer the old name) and

They don't have to cover any market.  The goal here is profit.  Companys
who have tried to be all things to all people have failed!!!!

> that the old Tos 1.3 wont be good enough to match the things the
> 030 is capable off. This development will take time and what

What TOS 1.3.  According the atari sources on this net there have been
two releases of TOS.  That is 1.0 and 1.2.  A much rumered 1.4 is
to be released in the future..............................not yet..

> is there that forces to release a hasty product now. Surely theu
> should wait for the state of the market to clarify itself

By the time the market has clarified itself, the front runners in
that market place are already established, usually.

>  I would expect a product in 6 months time and I hope that
> all the rumour mongering doesnt taint the public into
> expecting and demanding things that dont exist.
>
>  Freedom in information is all and good in a perfect world but
> I think a bit of respect for other peoples rights to retain
> privacy of information is also called for

Note the comment above concerning atari's information spreading.
Otherwise I agree completely.  Information that was released by
non atari sources in violation of confidentiality agreements should
have its sources sought out and taken to court under the agreement
in force.

My faith in atari's ability to deliver new products has sunk to new lows.
That is no faith.  I won't believe it until I see it at their fed. stores.

C'est la vie.

Stephen Heath                                                  sun!plx!stephen
              My employer may or may not (dis)agree, or both.