[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM for Sozobon C

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (11/01/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

I've had a beta copy of the (free!) Sozobon C compiler for a month or so.
I'm quite pleased with it, but it has one glaring deficiency: no GEM.

After drinking a mondo quantity of coffee, and with the help and
encouragement of Dale Schumacher and John Stanley, I managed to get an AES
library put together. I have not tested most of it, and have not yet
implemented a couple of minor functions, but I do have dialog boxes
working, the file selector popping up, resource files loading*, the menu
bar displayed, etc.

I have not yet started coding a VDI library, although I have been doing
some groundwork for it.

Since I am not a registered Atari developer, I don't have easy access to
the information I need to complete this project. I've had to dig it out of
the backs of various books and from a few public-domain source code and
doc files that I've found.

I would like to appeal for some assistance. I don't want to reinvent the
wheel more often than is necessary. If you know of any public-domain
header files, documentation or other resources that would help me with
this project, I would appreciate receiving them. I am particularly
interested in anything on Line A.

Please do not send me anything that is proprietary, copyright, secret or
otherwise improper for distribution.

When they (seem to) work, the libraries will be released as to the public
domain, with sources -- none of this copyright stuff you see nowadays.

I already have Mark Johnson's libraries. I've been VERY careful not to
copy any of Mark's code; my AES stuff works quite differently (and was
derived from different published data). However, Mark deserves a hand for
having published his work. Without his GEM library, I'd have assumed this
project to be impossible, and without his C compiler, I'd have not learned
the language in the first place.

 -----------
 *I'm using the DRI Resource Construction Set, which I purchased from
Merlin-Computer GMBH in W. Germany. The blasted thing is buggy but usable.

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (11/04/88)

From: dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher)

> Why use Sobozon C when Mark Williams C is available is and such a fine
> product at a great price?? You can buy MWC for as low as $125.

Well, for one thing, Sozobon is FREE.  Secondly, it comes with SOURCE CODE
for EVERYTHING.  This may not be important to many people, but I feel a lot
better about something if I have the source code, since that means I can
FIX it if I find a bug, and I can understand it and learn from it otherwise.
Thirdly, it generates better code than Mark Williams C.  And finally, it
doesn't create problems with the environment.  These problems are not
immediately obvious to the casual user, but Mark Williams C uses some very
sloppy methods of passing long argument lines and information about the
'isatty()' status of file handles.

Mark Williams C is a very fine product in many ways, and is probably better
supported (by the users, I've never liked the support I've gotten from the
Company) than any other C for the ST.  It is currently a better choice for
projects that use GEM or floating point.  I don't write many programs that
use either GEM or fp, so I doesn't matter to me.  Also, I got Alcyon C as
part of the ST developer's kit (a LLOOOONNNNGGG time ago), and Sozobon has
the final advantage of being upwardly compatible with all my old code.

--
      Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.
      (alias: Dalnefre')                      St. Paul, MN  55104

Fiacha of Glencar@hjuxa.UUCP (Fiacha of Glencar) (11/05/88)

From article <643@stag.UUCP>, by to_stdnet@stag.UUCP:
> From: dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher)
>
>> Why use Sobozon C when Mark Williams C is available is and such a fine
>> product at a great price?? You can buy MWC for as low as $125.
>
> Well, for one thing, Sozobon is FREE.  Secondly, it comes with SOURCE CODE
> for EVERYTHING.

OK So where can I get a copy?

		Nigel Haslock
		..!rutgers!hjuxa!nrh

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (11/06/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

> From: Fiacha of Glencar@hjuxa.UUCP (Fiacha of Glencar)
>
> From article <643@stag.UUCP>, by to_stdnet@stag.UUCP:
> > From: dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher)
> >
> >> Why use Sobozon C when Mark Williams C is available is and such a fine
> >> product at a great price?? You can buy MWC for as low as $125.
> >
> > Well, for one thing, Sozobon is FREE.  Secondly, it comes with SOURCE CODE
> > for EVERYTHING.
>
> OK So where can I get a copy?
>
> 		Nigel Haslock
> 		..!rutgers!hjuxa!nrh

Send a check for $10 to Tony Andrews, 5902E Gunbarrel Ave., Boulder, CO
80301 and he'll mail you the whole package including sources with a
printout of the documentation. Sozobon C also should be appearing on file
servers and I believe it's already on the national pay $ervices.

(If you are outside the United States, you should check with your post
office about international mail rates and add that amount with your
request.)

Note: It does NOT include the AES library I've been working on (at least I
don't think it does); I'm not affiliated with Sozobon. I plan to make the
library available in the next couple of days. I've found a guy in Denver
who says he's got a VDI library working with Sozobon. If it works out, we
may distribute them together.

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (11/07/88)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

A set of GEM bindings written in assembler and compatible with Sozobon C
showed up the other day at BRASS*BBS in Buffalo, N.Y. The package,
GEMQ.ARC, includes AES, VDI and a utility library (handy functions for GEM
programmers that aren't built into GEM).

The readme file in the archive includes a note from the author, Don E.
Farmer, 16810 Deer Creek Drive, Spring, Texas 77379 to the effect that he
wrote the libraries for Alcyon C users as a shareware project, but found
no takers, so he was releasing them as "public domain" but retaining the
copyright. (That's a contradiction, but I suppose he means "you can pass
this around and use it as you see fit.")

The AES library is a little bit smaller than the one I wrote in C. I
suspect that the VDI library is better than the one I haven't written yet.
So I probably won't finish the job.

If someone will advise me where to send GEMQ for net distribution, I will
do so.

  | thelake!steve@stag.UUCP or steve@pnet51.cts.com
  |
  |                    rosevax!\
  | ...rutgers!umn-cs!mmm!pwcs!stag!thelake!steve
  |         ...amdahl!ems!/     /
  |                           eta!

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (11/08/88)

How much memory does Sobozon C requires?  Can it run in a 520ST?
Any info is appreciated.

acm@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Association for Computing Machinery) (11/08/88)

In article <651@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
>From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

[...]
>no takers, so he was releasing them as "public domain" but retaining the
>copyright. (That's a contradiction, but I suppose he means "you can pass
>this around and use it as you see fit.")
>

>  | thelake!steve@stag.UUCP or steve@pnet51.cts.com
>  |                    rosevax!\
>  | ...rutgers!umn-cs!mmm!pwcs!stag!thelake!steve
>  |         ...amdahl!ems!/     /
>  |                           eta!
Unless I'm mistaken, your holding a copyright to a program simply means you
are the only person who has the right to make money from it.  The purpose
for many public domain copyright notices is to keep certain people from selling
your product while claiming that they developed it.  This is in contrast to
having the sole right to copy it, despite how it sounds.

(you think this is confusing, you ought to see the California ballot!)
Plinio Barbeito

---
UUCP:  ...!{...}!ucla-cs!acm
ARPA:  acm@cs.ucla.edu
VOICE: (213) 825-5879, 825-7597

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (11/09/88)

In article <17608@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> acm@cs.ucla.edu (Association for Computing Machinery) writes:
>In article <651@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
>Unless I'm mistaken, your holding a copyright to a program simply means you
>are the only person who has the right to make money from it.  The purpose
>for many public domain copyright notices is to keep certain people from selling
>your product while claiming that they developed it.  This is in contrast to
>having the sole right to copy it, despite how it sounds.

	I think you're mistaken.  Copyright means having the sole right
to copy something.  The principle behind this is that the copyright holder
should be paid for each copy in use.  If copyright only meant you can't sell
something for a profit, there would be nothing illegal in passing out free
copies of Word Perfect to your friends or in posting it to free bulletin boards.

>Plinio Barbeito

					Matt Seitz
					seitz@cory.berkeley.edu

Then The Association for Computing Machinery (:-)) writes:
> Unless I'm mistaken, your holding a copyright to a program simply means
> you are the only person who has the right to make money from it.
> Plinio Barbeito

[This comes up a lot in computer circles so note this please.]

Plinio is mistaken. Copyright means just that, the right to control the
copies. Generally authors allow copies to be made if you send them
some money for each one. They may also make other provisions such as
"You may copy this work if you do not profit by making that copy."
Or the all encompassing "No copy of this work may be made without express
written permission of the author." (sometimes folks just say "All rights
reserved.").

And now for the scary part. If you, the author, put the words "public
domain" on the work they _supercede_ the copyright notice and the
work becomes public domain. And anyone can do anything with public
domain programs with out so much as a nod in the author's direction.
The worst problem is when someone collects some public domain programs
and sells them as "their" tools package for $59.95 or what ever. The
author has no recourse in this case, period. So the bottom line is
never, never, never, never, call something you wrote public domain
unless you really mean public domain. You can call it freely redistributable
which is what you probably meant anyway. And of course be sure to
put a legal copyright on all works, follow up with a registration
if you are going to market it. A legal copyright notice consists of
the word "Copyright", the year, and the name of the copyright holder.
Following the copyright should be a statement of rights indicating
your wishes, if you don't have a statement then add on that says "All
rights reserved." If you don't do this then you will be taken advantage
of by unscrupulous people in the computer business and you will not
be able to sue them.

--Chuck McManis

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (11/09/88)

>The readme file in the archive includes a note from the author, Don E.
>Farmer, 16810 Deer Creek Drive, Spring, Texas 77379 to the effect that he
>wrote the libraries for Alcyon C users as a shareware project, but found
>no takers, so he was releasing them as "public domain" but retaining the
>copyright. (That's a contradiction, but I suppose he means "you can pass
>this around and use it as you see fit.")

I've heard a term called "FREEWARE" that refers to zero cost - copyrighted
programs. I infers the no-cost status of the software, without the author
lossing the ownership of it that "public domain" implies.
--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"