[comp.sys.atari.st] CircuitMaker 2.01

soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Soohoo) (11/06/88)

I just purchased CircuitMaker 2.01 by Iliad Software, Inc.
The premise is simply to be able to put together and simulate TTL
devices. I'd give you a review of the product, but it's simply
not cooperating, and I'd like some help:

I followed the directions for installing on a hard drive, and it
booted up just fine.  Then, when I tried File...Load... XXXX Circuit
the circuit got loaded from disk, and displayed on the screen (for
a brief moment) and then TWO BOMBS!

So fine, I'm using the monochrome version, with a monochrome monitor,
on a 1040ST (minimum RAM satisfied), and all my silly accessories
stripped out, and still no luck (same symptoms).

Since I've also got a color monitor, I decided to try the color version
of the program (Iliad ships two disks, for separate resolutions).

It worked FINE in color.
So I can use it on color, but I'd RATHER monochrome!

I tried calling Iliad's BBS # in the back of the package, but I got
a # disconnected voice, no fowarding #.  This worries me.

Does anyone have CircuitMaker 2.01 and NOT have this happen to them?

Thanks in advance, please e-mail.

--Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
  Atari 400/800/600xl/800xl/1200/130xe/65xe, 1040ST hacker
  Sometime Berkeley Student, othertimes...
  My opinions are my OWN, not necessarily Atari's

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (11/08/88)

in article <7119@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Soohoo) says:
> I followed the directions for installing on a hard drive, and it
> booted up just fine.  Then, when I tried File...Load... XXXX Circuit
> the circuit got loaded from disk, and displayed on the screen (for
> a brief moment) and then TWO BOMBS!

Sounds like you simply have a bad copy of that program.  Did you try
running it on any other ST?

The number I have for Iliad Software is (801) 226-3270, is that the number
you have been calling?

Dan @ Atari

<The opnions expressed are not usually that of Atari Corp. and were rented by
me for use in this message>

soohoo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ken Soohoo) (11/09/88)

In article <1220@atari.UUCP> danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:

>Sounds like you simply have a bad copy of that program.  Did you try
>running it on any other ST?
>
>The number I have for Iliad Software is (801) 226-3270, is that the number
>you have been calling?
>

>Dan @ Atari
>
><The opnions expressed are not usually that of Atari Corp. and were rented by
>me for use in this message>

Dan,
I talked to Iliad Software yesterday (11/7), by calling the (801)226-3270
number, and essentially listed bugs at them.
They were quite polite about the whole thing, and said that they were
having problems with their duplication proceedures, and switched about
a month and a half ago.  My copy also had a serial # of the 1st copy
from a batch about 9 weeks ago, so it was suspect.
I told them the registration card was in the mail, and they told me
a  new copy was in the mail. Remarkable nice of them.

The bottom line is this:
If you have problems with this piece of software, write Iliad with the
bugs you've encountered, include your serial #, and suggest improvements.
They should a) write back and tell you to send money, or b) send you a
new copy, depending on the severity / blame of the problems. (I would
like to think they would supply a replacement for bad duplicates).

Thanks for the concern Dan, glad to hear you listening!
--Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)
  Atari 400/800/600xl/800xl/1200/130xe/65xe, 1040ST hacker
  Sometime Berkeley Student, othertimes...
  My opinions are my OWN, not necessarily Atari's

keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) (11/09/88)

Did you guys get an upgrade notice from Illiad for your Circuitmaker
2.01?  I sent in my card from the very beginning with version 1 and
the only way I found out about version 2.01 was through usenet and the
latest edition of the ST Informer.  What's the point of sending in a
registration card if you aren't going to be kept up to date on upgrades.
By the way, does anyone know the price for an upgrade to version 2?

                          Keith

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (11/10/88)

From article <1238@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, by keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves):
> Did you guys get an upgrade notice from Illiad for your Circuitmaker
> 2.01?  I sent in my card from the very beginning with version 1 and
> the only way I found out about version 2.01 was through usenet and the
> latest edition of the ST Informer.  What's the point of sending in a
> registration card if you aren't going to be kept up to date on upgrades.
> By the way, does anyone know the price for an upgrade to version 2?
>
>                           Keith

I did exactly the same thing. I have had no notification of an upgrade,
and see no reference to there even being an upgrade from v1.0.

Did they improve the button response in v2.0?? I hope so it is almost
useless in v1.0.

If Iliad are out there how about supporting the people who supported you
with the first version??

--
Jim Morris.         			 morris@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!morris
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.