[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disk limitations

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (11/04/88)

Someone recently mentioned a 300MB hard disk was available for the ST,
but I was told that an ST could only access 195MB on a hard disk.

Can anyone comment?

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

In article Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>Someone recently mentioned a 300MB hard disk was available for the ST,
>but I was told that an ST could only access 195MB on a hard disk.
>
>Can anyone comment?

Well not really. The original 68K GEM inherited the 32Mb hard disk partition
limit from MS-DOS, there was also a sixteen partition limit once but I
believe that it is now 26 (A-Z). So leaving A,B,C for the floppies and
the cartridge a simple 32 * 23 calculation yields 736Mb, if it is 16
then you would only get 416Mb. Both numbers being larger than the 195
you mention.

--Chuck McManis

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (11/08/88)

in article <76253@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) says:
> In article Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>>Someone recently mentioned a 300MB hard disk was available for the ST,
>>but I was told that an ST could only access 195MB on a hard disk.
>
> Well not really. The original 68K GEM inherited the 32Mb hard disk partition
> limit from MS-DOS, there was also a sixteen partition limit once but I
> believe that it is now 26 (A-Z). So leaving A,B,C for the floppies and
> the cartridge a simple 32 * 23 calculation yields 736Mb, if it is 16
> then you would only get 416Mb. Both numbers being larger than the 195
> you mention.

	GemDos is still limited to 16 Meg partitions.  Several of
the hard disk systems do allow you to create partitions larger than
16 Meg as long as the partition is *NOT* used for GemDos (ie. Spectre,
Minix, OS9, etc.).  Atari has not said anything about increasing the
16 Meg limit in the newer TOS releases.

	GemDos is also limited to 16 drives, A to P.  (NOTE: The
original doc said there was a 32 drive limit.)  Drives A and B
are used for floppies, leaving 14 drives for hard disk partitions.
Atari's hard disk software only supports 4 partitions per physical
drive giving a 48 Meg limit.  Supra, ICD and BMS all allow up to 14
partitions per drive, giving a 224 Meg limit.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM

grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (11/10/88)

In article <881104030315.414923@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>Someone recently mentioned a 300MB hard disk was available for the ST,
>but I was told that an ST could only access 195MB on a hard disk.

16 Mb per partition * 12 partitions = 192 Mb

If anyone knows a not-too-illegal way around this limit, I would like
to hear about it.  I know of no way to effectively use a 300 Mb unit
on an ST at this time.

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465

In article <3713@druhi.ATT.COM> dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
[All about the partition limits under GEM, which were much smaller than
 mine, boy am I embarassed. Seems that Atari's version of TOS predates
 my 68K-GEM data from DRI.]

So I apologize for spewing out such massive misinformation.

--Chuck McManis

brenes@skywest.UUCP (Erasmo Brenes) (11/10/88)

In article <3713@druhi.ATT.COM> dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>original doc said there was a 32 drive limit.)  Drives A and B
>are used for floppies, leaving 14 drives for hard disk partitions.
>Atari's hard disk software only supports 4 partitions per physical
>drive giving a 48 Meg limit.  Supra, ICD and BMS all allow up to 14
               ^^^^
Actually, it is 64MB (ie. 4 partitions x 16MB each = 64MB). I have such
system.

Erasmo.

toivanen@tukki.jyu.fi (Jari Toivanen) (11/11/88)

In article <3713@druhi.ATT.COM> dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>	GemDos is still limited to 16 Meg partitions.
>
>Atari's hard disk software only supports 4 partitions per physical
>drive giving a 48 Meg limit.

I think in that arcticle is a little calculation error. Should it be
4 partitions each 16 Meg per physical drive giving a 64 Meg limit.

Jari Toivanen                           Segments are for worms ;-)
Math student at                         Internet: toivanen@tukki.jyu.fi
University of Jyvaskyla, Finland        Bitnet: toivanen_jar@finjyu.bitnet

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (11/11/88)

in article <575@skywest.UUCP>, brenes@skywest.UUCP (Erasmo Brenes) says:

> In article <3713@druhi.ATT.COM> dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>>original doc said there was a 32 drive limit.)  Drives A and B
>>are used for floppies, leaving 14 drives for hard disk partitions.
>>Atari's hard disk software only supports 4 partitions per physical
>>drive giving a 48 Meg limit.  Supra, ICD and BMS all allow up to 14
>                ^^^^
> Actually, it is 64MB (ie. 4 partitions x 16MB each = 64MB). I have such
> system.

True, Atari system software will only allow for four partitions, but other
software (Supra, ICD, Berkeley Microsystems) will allow for up to 12
different drives icons.

Dan

In article <3482@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) writes:
>In article <881104030315.414923@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>>Someone recently mentioned a 300MB hard disk was available for the ST,
>>but I was told that an ST could only access 195MB on a hard disk.
>
>16 Mb per partition * 12 partitions = 192 Mb
>
>If anyone knows a not-too-illegal way around this limit, I would like
>to hear about it.  I know of no way to effectively use a 300 Mb unit
>on an ST at this time.

Depends on your meaning when you say "effective use." I use Minix on my ST.
Minix has no partition size limits. As such, having 300MB of disk available
to me would be effective for me. If you restrict yourself to TOS, you have
a problem...

If you're willing to sacrifice some storage efficiency, you might consider
using larger disk block sizes. You only have 21 bits for addressing disk
blocks, but if you double the size of a block from 512 bytes to 1K, you've
just doubled your maximum from 192M to 384M.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (11/12/88)

In article <3713@druhi.ATT.COM> dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:
>	GemDos is still limited to 16 Meg partitions.  Several of
 the hard disk systems do allow you to create partitions larger than
 16 Meg as long as the partition is *NOT* used for GemDos (ie. Spectre,
 Minix, OS9, etc.).  Atari has not said anything about increasing the
>16 Meg limit in the newer TOS releases.

The 16 Meg limit is because of a TOS bug.  Ye olde 16 bit INT
truncation problem strikes again...  Rumor has it that this bug
will be fixed in the new TOS, thus allowing for larger partitions.

>	GemDos is also limited to 16 drives, A to P.  (NOTE: The
 original doc said there was a 32 drive limit.)  Drives A and B
 are used for floppies, leaving 14 drives for hard disk partitions.
 Atari's hard disk software only supports 4 partitions per physical
 drive giving a 48 Meg limit.  Supra, ICD and BMS all allow up to 14
>partitions per drive, giving a 224 Meg limit.

Um, almost right.  Only 12 are supported within a single physical unit,
due to a space limitation in sector 0.  Only 4 are in legal space, the
other 8 are stuck in where nothing should be, but it doesn't seem to
hurt anything...  Thus, a single physical drive can contain up to 192 Mb
of useful space, and an additional 2 partitions are possible elsewhere
at 16 Mb each.  Total for system is 224, for one unit is 192.

_john (Astra, for this post)

--

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/15/88)

In article <76253@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> The original 68K GEM inherited the 32Mb hard disk partition
> limit from MS-DOS, there was also a sixteen partition limit once but I
> believe that it is now 26 (A-Z).

The question that this bring to mind is what is the limit on the
number of GEM desktop icons for partitions/drives?  Can one have 26
drive/partition icons up on the screen at the same time?

dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (11/15/88)

From article <3482@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, by grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs):
> 16 Mb per partition * 12 partitions = 192 Mb
>
> If anyone knows a not-too-illegal way around this limit, I would like
> to hear about it.  I know of no way to effectively use a 300 Mb unit
> on an ST at this time.

There has been some pressure from developers on Compuserve to get
Atari to "fix" the bug that limits partitions to 16 megabytes,
instead of the 32 megabytes that the present FAT could presently
address.  They've been resisting it, based on the scenario:

    "naive" person A with a "fixed" OS builds a hard disk with big
    partitions and then fills that partion so that more than 16
    megabytes is used.  Then that hard disk is taken to a machine
    that doesn't have a "fixed" OS and tries to use it; that
    machine proceeds to scramble the disk

(or other similar situations).  One suggestion (made by somebody
at Atari Canada?) was a different partition type, so that "old"
machines would ignore big hard disk partitions.

(And of course if the GEM filesystem was made compatible to MSDOS/PCDOS 4.0,
then more than 32 megabytes could be addressed...).

Currently there is no way to address more than 192 megabytes as
a GEM filesystem.  However you can use any amount of space as a raw disk
(supposedly you just give the appropriate flags to the Rwabs call...)

dgc

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (11/16/88)

in article <119@laas.laas.fr>, ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) says:

> The question that this bring to mind is what is the limit on the
> number of GEM desktop icons for partitions/drives?  Can one have 26
> drive/partition icons up on the screen at the same time?

You can have drive icons from A-P....16 in all....

Dan