[comp.sys.atari.st] IB Drive Warning

FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET (Peter Hiscocks) (11/14/88)

I.B.Computers of Portland are selling a 5 1/4 floppy drive for the ST. I bought
 one of these, and couldn't get it to work. Sent it back to them to fix, and it
 still didn't work when I got it back. Then I saw a network note to the effect
that the side select signals and drive select signals must be buffered.(Thanks
to Myron Drapal.) I installed a 74LS241 and the drive started to work properly.
 IB Computers don't seem inclined to notify their customers of this problem, e
en though I wrote them a detailled letter, so anyone considering a purchase of
this drive should bear this in mind. Be prepared to modify the drive.
If you need a detailled description of the mod, send me mail.
Peter: (416)465-3007
        55 Grandview Ave, Toronto, M4K 1J1, Canada

russ@percival.UUCP (Russ Schwartz) (11/16/88)

In article <8811140255.AA23156@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> FCTY7284@RYERSON.BITNET (Peter Hiscocks) writes:

>I.B.Computers of Portland are selling a 5 1/4 floppy drive for the ST. I bought
> one of these, and couldn't get it to work. Sent it back to them to fix, and it
> still didn't work when I got it back. Then I saw a network note to the effect
>that the side select signals and drive select signals must be buffered.(Thanks
>to Myron Drapal.) I installed a 74LS241 and the drive started to work properly.
> IB Computers don't seem inclined to notify their customers of this problem, e
>en though I wrote them a detailled letter, so anyone considering a purchase of
>this drive should bear this in mind. Be prepared to modify the drive.
>If you need a detailled description of the mod, send me mail.
>Peter: (416)465-3007
>        55 Grandview Ave, Toronto, M4K 1J1, Canada

Whoa! I work at IB Computers and them check their repair records and even
though they keep records of all IB Drive repairs, they have no record of
recieving or repairing your drive. Did you send the drive back through the
dealer you bought the drive from or did you send it back under a different
name?

Even though I don't have anything to do with the manufacturing of the IB Drive
(other than working for the same company) I'm interested in getting the mod
info you describe. If this fix really works, I'd like to see them add the info
with the drives. Or if it's a mod to the drive itself, to implement it in all
future production.

The strange thing is that for the number of computers I've seen the IB Drives
hooked up to, I haven't seen one that needed a mod to the hardware. But I
guess there are a rare few.

Peter- If you can Snail Mail me a copy of the mods, I'd appreciate it! Just
       mark it Attn: Russ.

Russell Schwartz
..!reed!percival!russ

I.B. Computers                "My opinions are my own and not that of
1519 SW Marlow Ave.            IB Computers. And if they found out,
Portland, OR 97225             I'm a dead man!"
(503) 297-6542 (voice)
(503) 292-1321 (BBS)
---
Russell Schwartz - Sysop @ IBBS - Node #4 - 3/12/2400 - 503-292-1321 (PCP)