[comp.sys.atari.st] European mags/ST Clone ->Was Mega ST pinout

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) (11/12/88)

In article <11140@cup.portal.com>, BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
> Federico Heinz says:
> >information" stuff about the Mega bus.  Here in Germany, a magazine has
> >published the pinouts of the bus (I think it was c't), and another one
> >even published the schematics for adding a Mega bus to any other model.
>
> Could you give us more information on the magazine which published the
> information for adding a Mega buss to other STs, the name and issue date
> of the magazine, and an address for the publisher, if you have it...?
>
> Perhaps we could arrange for reprint rights in the U.S.   I'm sure
> a LOT of people would be interested..!

This sounds like a great idea. I know of a few people in this small area
who would like to have access to this information. I have heard bits and
pieces about this magazine c't. It sounds like an excellent magazine.
I have a few friends who can speak/read German so getting it would be
relatively easy for me to get it translated.

On another subject, I have heard a few months back, something about a
clone of the ST possibly coming into the North American market. This was
mentioned on another net, but since the system was supposedly imported
from the European area, I thought I would find out about it here.
Any help?

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (11/14/88)

> On another subject, I have heard a few months back, something about a
> clone of the ST possibly coming into the North American market. This was
> mentioned on another net, but since the system was supposedly imported
> from the European area, I thought I would find out about it here.
> Any help?

The ST Report a couple of issues ago mentioned that there were some
clones of the Atari 2600 found in New York, but not clones of the
ST computers.  Apparently, someone was mistaken.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (11/15/88)

In article <183@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) writes:
>In article <11140@cup.portal.com>, BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>I have heard bits and
>pieces about this magazine c't. It sounds like an excellent magazine.
>I have a few friends who can speak/read German so getting it would be
>relatively easy for me to get it translated.

I suggest You to talk to the publishing company. They'll send a copy to
the states, I think.
adress is: Heise Verlag
	Helstorfer Strasse 7
	3000 Hannover 61
or send email to "sch8@cosmo.UUCP" (thats ...!unido!cosmo!sch8) and ask
him to forward the message to Mister Persson (the c't Editor in Chief).

>On another subject, I have heard a few months back, something about a
>clone of the ST possibly coming into the North American market. This was
>mentioned on another net, but since the system was supposedly imported
>from the European area, I thought I would find out about it here.

There is an ST clone out here in Germany: it is build of three board of
100 by 160 millimeters (Euro card size) as a "sandwich". The case is an
19 inch casette (3 HE/14TE). Very cute thing.

It is made from Atari parts ("OEM"-ST boards) and very exspensive (The
computer witout monitor, keyboard, mouse, disk, powe supply, 19" rack
and so on is about $1000).

Maybem this "190 ST" is, what You heard about.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
In a space in the forest, on an empty patch of wet ground between a

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/15/88)

Glenn Euloth writes:
>On another subject, I have heard a few months back, something about a
>clone of the ST possibly coming into the North American market. This was
>mentioned on another net, but since the system was supposedly imported
>from the European area, I thought I would find out about it here.
>Any help?

I noticed a mention of this in the "ST-Inquirer".. er.. Reports.. issues
a few weeks back, and tried to get some independant confirmation about it..

Supposedly one or two French companies were about to introduce clones of
the Atari ST into the U.S. marketplace, since the Atari Corp. didn't seem
to be interested in selling the "real thing" here...  the word I'd heard
was that the "clones" were in for FCC testing...

We checked with a representative of one of the big French software companies
which is importing games for the ST from France, and he'd never even heard
of anything like this...

So...  I dunno...

BobR

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/16/88)

Welllll...!   I'm happy to report that I was wrong about the European ST
Clones..!

Apparently the ST Clones are being shown at COMDEX right in the Atari
room...  I don't have any further details on them yet, but this is one time
I don't mind being proven wrong, at all..!

(Unfortunately, that's one of the few things worth getting enthused over
at this COMDEX, sigh...)

BobR

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (11/16/88)

In article <11346@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
  [...]
>Supposedly one or two French companies were about to introduce clones of
>the Atari ST into the U.S. marketplace, since the Atari Corp. didn't seem
>to be interested in selling the "real thing" here...  the word I'd heard
>was that the "clones" were in for FCC testing...

 [...]
>BobR

Here, in France, a company has added to a 1040 ST a Gespac G96 interface bus.
This new product is called ATHENA ST.
In fact, they have broken in two the 1040 cpu+keyboard board, the keyboard
part being with the now-detachable keyboard, the other part being in a
separate box with an additional G96 interface board mounted in place of
68000 chip. Two G96 connectors are available. Memory addresses 400000 to
F7ffff are available to G96 in async mode, F80000 to f9ffff in sync mode.

This new packaging has been developped here at Rennes, in IUT (technology
institute), for educational purposes. Price is around 15000FFr which is
2.5 times a 1040 price. I have not now the adress of the distributor but
if you are interested, I can look for.

(I am not affiliated with IUT nor with the reseller)

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (11/20/88)

In article <11370@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Welllll...!   I'm happy to report that I was wrong about the European ST
>Clones..!
>
>Apparently the ST Clones are being shown at COMDEX right in the Atari
>room...  I don't have any further details on them yet, but this is one time
>I don't mind being proven wrong, at all..!
>
>(Unfortunately, that's one of the few things worth getting enthused over
>at this COMDEX, sigh...)
>
>BobR

Welllll...!  Having just come from COMDEX, I can difinitely say that *NO*
Atari clones were present at all!  I did however see the ATW running Helios
and X11 (x-windows) and was *somewhat* impressed.

Overall, I can't say that I saw anything very impressive at Atari's room, but
a friend did say that he saw the laptop running, but it was taken away because
the power supply wasn't working right.

Dave Small was there, and "I met Sandy Small!"  Fleetwood Mac played a short
set Wednesday, but alas, that was 1 hour after I had to leave to fly home.

And, of course, thAtari PC clones were there...

- mike

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as: