[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega ST pinouts

ds@olivej.olivetti.com (10/21/88)

I'm looking for some documentation, or even just the pinouts, on the
Mega ST's internal connectors.  These are the CPU buss and the internal
DMA port.  If you could point me to some documentation, or just give me
the pinouts, I'd be most grateful!  Thanks.

mail to: {ucbvax,sun}!pixar!r2d2!dragon

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/22/88)

Responding to a question about the Mega CPU buss connector:
>I'm looking for some documentation, or even just the pinouts, on the
>Mega ST's internal connectors.

According to Neil Harris, these are NOT available to anyone other than
registered developers.  (Send in your $300)

BobR

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (10/25/88)

In article <10338@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Responding to a question about the Mega CPU buss connector:
>>I'm looking for some documentation, or even just the pinouts, on the
>>Mega ST's internal connectors.
>
>According to Neil Harris, these are NOT available to anyone other than
>registered developers.  (Send in your $300)

That's not quite true.  For $120 U.S. (and change) you can purchase
just the developer's documentation, which contains the pinouts you
seek.  Of course, for this amount of money, you don't get a compiler,
a newsletter, or phone support  (I know, I have the docs).

Call Atari Corp. at (415) 745-2000, and ask for Cindy Claveran.  Tell
her you want the documentation only, and she will give you the
details.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	BIX:   gwage
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:   74016,352
San Jose, CA 95110		GEnie: GWAGEMAN
(408) 437-5198			UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/02/88)

Greg Wageman says:
>...   For $120 U.S. (and change) you can purchase
>just the developer's documentation, which contains the pinouts ...

Yes, that's true...  but if all you need is that one connector pinout
diagram,  $120  is an awfully steep price to have to pay for just one
page...

Especially in light of the equivalent information being published by
Apple and Commodore/Amiga in $19.95-$29.95 books, available at just
about any B.Dalton Bookseller.

I imagine too, the page with that Mega expansion buss pinout is stamped
"Proprietary Information", so that it can't be uploaded on UseNet (or
anywhere else)...

BobR

frandsen@iesd.uucp (Peter Frandsen) (11/03/88)

The Atari Mega st internal connector.

The signals provided on the 64 pin connector are essentially the
pins of the 68000 processor. The diagram below shows a top view
of the connector with its associated pin numbers and signal
names. Active low signal are followed by: (L)

              Top view of
              Motherboard
              Connector

                      _
		    _| |
       D4     (1)  |   | (2)  D5
       D3     (3)  |   | (4)  D6
       D2     (5)  |   | (6)  D7
       D1     (7)  |   | (8)  D8
       D0     (9)  |   | (10) D9
       AS (L) (11) |   | (12) D10
      UDS (L) (13) |   | (14) D11
      LDS (L) (15) |   | (16) D12
    R / W (L) (17) |   | (18) D13
    DTACK (L) (19) |   | (20) D14
       BG (L) (21) |   | (22) D15
    BGACK (L) (23) |   | (24) GROUND
       BR (L) (25) |   | (26) A23
   GROUND     (27) |   | (28) A22
      CLK     (29) |   | (30) A21
   GROUND     (31) |   | (32) GROUND
     HALT (L) (33) |   | (34) A20
    RESET (L) (35) |   | (36) A19
      VMA (L) (37) |   | (38) A18
        E     (39) |   | (40) A17
      VPA (L) (41) |   | (42) A16
     BERR (L) (43) |   | (44) A15
      NMI (L) (45) |   | (46) A14
     INT5 (L) (47) |   | (48) A13
     INT3 (L) (49) |   | (50) A12
      FC2     (51) |   | (52) A11
      FC1     (53) |   | (54) A10
      FC0     (55) |   | (56) A9
       A1     (57) |   | (58) A8
       A2     (59) |   | (60) A7
       A3     (61) |   | (62) A6
       A4     (63) |_  | (64) A5
                     |_|

    <- Front of ST

The connector is a TRW no. 009-00005-6, JAE no. ME03-R64P-D4T2-A1
or equivalent.

This information was taken from PRELIMINARY describtion of the Mega ST
internal bus documentation (September 7. 1987) so it may have changed.

FROM
  Peter Frandsen
  Aalborg University Center
  Denmark

rfpfeifle@violet.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) (11/04/88)

In article <10771@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Greg Wageman says:
>>...   For $120 U.S. (and change) you can purchase
>>just the developer's documentation, which contains the pinouts ...
>
>Yes, that's true...  but if all you need is that one connector pinout
>diagram,  $120  is an awfully steep price to have to pay for just one
>page...
>
>Especially in light of the equivalent information being published by
>Apple and Commodore/Amiga in $19.95-$29.95 books, available at just
>about any B.Dalton Bookseller.
>
>I imagine too, the page with that Mega expansion buss pinout is stamped
>"Proprietary Information", so that it can't be uploaded on UseNet (or
>anywhere else)...
>
>BobR

In Canada, Atari charges $125 for documentation, and $150 for docs with
support.   I suppose that this means that they feel support is only worth
$25... (from the way developers talk about the quality of the documentation
on the net, you'd figure that it should be $25 for docs and $125 for support).

ron

dragon@lfl.uucp (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (11/05/88)

> Especially in light of the equivalent information being published by
> Apple and Commodore/Amiga in $19.95-$29.95 books, available at just
> about any B.Dalton Bookseller.

> I imagine too, the page with that Mega expansion buss pinout is stamped
> "Proprietary Information", so that it can't be uploaded on UseNet (or
> anywhere else)...

> BobR

My Amiga came with all the pinouts and schematics in the owners manual.
And on my Mega I can't even hack together hobby projects since the cost
of the schematics is prohibitive.  So much for public domain add-ons for
the ST.  No wonder hardly anyone has done anything with the slot.

I guess I can always work on the PD 68020 board for the Amiga...

--Dean

----
sun!pixar!r2d2!dragon		Dragon Technologies!
ds@oliveb.olivetti.com

dragon@lfl.ucp (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (11/05/88)

Referene
: <10771@cup.portal.como

@ucb@I imagine too, the page with that Mega e@ucb@"Proprietary Information", so that it can't be uploaded on UseNet (or
@ucb@anywhere else)...

> BobR

My Amiga came with all the pinouts and schematics in the owners manual.
And on my Mega I can't even hack together hobby projects since the cost
of the schematics is prohibitive.  So much for public domain add-ons for
the ST.  No wonder hardly anyone has done anything with the slot.

I guess I can always work on the PD 68020 board for the Amiga...

--Dean

----
sun!pixar!r2d2!dragon		Dragon Technologies!
ds@olive

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (11/07/88)

Frankly, I don't know what to think about all this "proprietary
information" stuff about the Mega bus.  Here in Germany, a magazine has
published the pinouts of the bus (I think it was c't), and another one
even published the schematics for adding a Mega bus to any other model.
Would I commit copyright infringment if I posted the pinouts on the
net? I payed for the info anyway.. although not to Atari

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
From USA:              ...!pyramid!\	        	| Beusselstr. 21

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (11/08/88)

In article <522@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>, greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) writes:
> [...]  For $120 U.S. (and change) you can purchase
> just the developer's documentation, which contains the pinouts you
> seek.  Of course, for this amount of money, you don't get a compiler,
> a newsletter, or phone support  (I know, I have the docs).
> Call Atari Corp. at (415) 745-2000, and ask for Cindy Claveran.  Tell
> her you want the documentation only, and she will give you the
> details.

Yah, right.  I called Cindy and left a message on her answering machine;
she does not seem to answer the phone herself at all.  I said I was
interested in registering, but I already have the MWC compiler (in fact
I am a beta-tester for them).  I got back the standard package (with my
name misspelled :-) requesting $300 and my first-born child.  Ho hum.
Repeated calls back to Cindy to straighten out what I really wanted
result in the answering machine (and me hanging up).

I also don't understand why the $120 package doesn't include the
newsletter, all they are doing is subtracting the retail price of MWC
from the $300.  Curious, ain't it?

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/10/88)

Federico Heinz says:
>Frankly, I don't know what to think about all this "proprietary
>information" stuff about the Mega bus.  Here in Germany, a magazine has
>published the pinouts of the bus (I think it was c't), and another one
>even published the schematics for adding a Mega bus to any other model.

Could you give us more information on the magazine which published the
information for adding a Mega buss to other STs, the name and issue date
of the magazine, and an address for the publisher, if you have it...?

Perhaps we could arrange for reprint rights in the U.S.   I'm sure
a LOT of people would be interested..!

BobR

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (11/17/88)

In article <11140@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Could you give us more information on the magazine which published the
>information for adding a Mega buss to other STs, the name and issue date
>of the magazine, and an address for the publisher, if you have it...?

  Sorry for the late answer, I've been out of town for a while. In the
meantime, somebody posted the bus pinouts, so that problem has been
solved (at least apparently).  On the Mega bus expansion for smaller
models, I'll check the magazine at home and post the info.

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
From USA:              ...!pyramid!\	        	| Beusselstr. 21

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (11/20/88)

In article <11140@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>Federico Heinz says:
>>Frankly, I don't know what to think about all this "proprietary
>>information" stuff about the Mega bus.  Here in Germany, a magazine has
>>published the pinouts of the bus (I think it was c't), and another one
>>even published the schematics for adding a Mega bus to any other model.

I  would  definitely  not assume that  if something  is published by a
German computer magazine, it is not proprietary or  not copyrighted by
a third party.   German magazines have a  disregard for copyright laws
that  is second to none in  the whole world (a  example: the otherwise
excellent "c't" actually published a complete disassembly  of AHDI.PRG
and the author of  the  article put his own  copyright notice on it!!!
(not to mention the various patched TOS ROM's that you can buy)).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A