[comp.sys.atari.st] More SLM804 annoyances

"Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM (11/14/88)

John,

I might as well add a few grievances of my own to the ongoing SLM804
knocking session.

1)	The Alt-Help screen dump.  If the SLM804 is not on-line and warmed up
(ie. if the back door is open), the screen dump will just wedge.  It
doesn't come back when the printer does come on line, the only fix is a
reboot.  This is a monumental pain in the ass.  Why oh why can't there be
just one little line of code that checks printer status and gives the user
some useful, informative feedback if the printer is off line?  This is the
kind of behaviour that drives me up the wall and makes me want to junk the
whole @$%*! system and go buy a Mac.  OK, I'm joking, but you take my
point?

2)	The last-page syndrome.  If you double click on a document and select
the print option, it prints fine except that the last page does not get
printed - instead, it lurks about ready to leap out and attach itself to
the front of the next document you print.  This wouldn't be so bad, only as
there is no FF at the end of the errant last page (which is presumably the
problem), the second document gets run straight onto the end of it, thereby
screwing up any page oriented formatting.  Sounds trivial, but another in a
long line of 'minor' annoyances with this printer.  (Having siad this, it
occurs to me that there may be a configurable option one can set via the
control panel.  If there is, I'll humbly retract this particular gripe).

3)	This isn't really a grump, more of a puzzle.  Occasionally in the past I
have booted my machine with hard disk and laser turned off - I just want to
copy some floppies or some such simple minded operation.  If I do this, it
is then impossible to format or copy floppies.  Why so?  How come just
having something plugged in to the dma port affects floppy formatting, fer
cryin' out loud?

   -- Hugh

In article <881114-093413-1227@Xerox> "Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM writes:
>3)	This isn't really a grump, more of a puzzle.  Occasionally in the past I
>have booted my machine with hard disk and laser turned off - I just want to
>copy some floppies or some such simple minded operation.  If I do this, it
>is then impossible to format or copy floppies.  Why so?  How come just
>having something plugged in to the dma port affects floppy formatting, fer
>cryin' out loud?
>
>   -- Hugh

I noticed this on my Mega. The funny thing is, this didn't happen on my 1040.
(At least, I don't remember it happening...) I used to run the system just
fine with my hard drive plugged in but turned off (too noisy, and I suspect
that iot overheated easily...). Now, if I want to access the floppy drive at
all, I have to remember to power up the hard drive as well. (I still keep it
turned off most of the time, 'cause it's still noisy, though the new case has
a fan...) It would seem that some type of signals are getting lost out the
DMA port, and they were probably sufficiently buffered in the 1040 to not be
a problem...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/19/88)

In article <881114-093413-1227@Xerox>
"Hugh_Messenger.EuroPARC"@XEROX.COM writes:
> 2)	The last-page syndrome.  If you double click on a document and select
> the print option, it prints fine except that the last page does not get
> printed [...]

The control panel for the Diablo driver has a "Form Feed" button which
turns grey if there's data "lurking" in the buffer.  Click this button
to get the last page.

You forget that the driver can't tell what the "last page" is, and
the Desktop, as you notice, doesn't send a formfeed after the file it prints.

> 3) This isn't really a grump, more of a puzzle.  Occasionally in the past I
> have booted my machine with hard disk and laser turned off [...]

This is a known problem.  You should never have an SLM804 connected to
your system but not turned on.  If you don't want it, disconnect it from
the chain of DMA devices before turning on your ST.

bms@bdt.UUCP (Vance Chin) (11/22/88)

(Howard Chu) writes:
>Hugh writes:
>>3)	This isn't really a grump, more of a puzzle.  Occasionally in the past I
>>have booted my machine with hard disk and laser turned off - I just want to
>>copy some floppies or some such simple minded operation.  If I do this, it
>>is then impossible to format or copy floppies.  Why so? .....
>>   -- Hugh
>
>I noticed this on my Mega. The funny thing is, this didn't happen on my 1040.
>(At least, I don't remember it happening...) I used to run the system just
>fine with my hard drive plugged in but turned off (too noisy, and I suspect
>that iot overheated easily...). Now, if I want to access the floppy drive at
>all, I have to remember to power up the hard drive as well. (I still keep it
>turned off most of the time, 'cause it's still noisy, though the new case has
>a fan...) It would seem that some type of signals are getting lost out the
>DMA port, and they were probably sufficiently buffered in the 1040 to not be
>a problem...

	Howard you were almost right in your last comment about this problem.
The problem is not in the buffering because there is NO buffering at all.  This
is true for all of the ST's.  The DMA chip is used to drive both the floppy
drive controller and the DMA port connector in the back.  So if one were to
ground any of the signals on the DMA port the floppy drives would also cease
to work.
	When you have the power turned off on the Hard drive it leaves the
buffer chips unpowered.  This can create a load on the signals coming from
the ST.  There is no easy way to get around the problem,  unless you what to
disconnect the Hard drive.  You could add a switch to dissable the host
adapter,  we did this on our new host adapter.  If there is some interest I
can look into finding out how to do this on the SH204.
	By the way you might be interested in why the DMA cable is so short.
Since the DMA port has no buffers this also means it has no termination.
Without termination there is crosstalk between the signals in the DMA cable.
The crosstalk is caused by stray capacitance between wires in the cable.  With
longer cables the capacitance increases to an unacceptable level.

	Hope this helps.....

Vance Chin  @ Berkeley Microsystems

UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax}!unisoft!bdt!bms
Mail(new address):  PO Box 20119, Oakland, CA  94620
Phone: (415) 547-2191

c60a-2bn@web-2g.berkeley.edu (Lawrence Chiu) (11/23/88)

Vance, are there any updates available to current owners of the BMS software?

Lawrence Y. Chiu; University of California, Berkeley.