[comp.sys.atari.st] Looking for Word Processor

frg@jfcl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (11/12/88)

I am looking for a good word processing program for the ST.  It
must be reasonably easy for a non-technical person to use it, and
it has to support the usual features:
	Text attributes (underscore, italics, bold)
	Footnotes
	Automatic pagination with manual hard-page override
	Adjustable page numbering (for long documents)
	Mixed single and double spacing within documents
	Support for Draft and NLQ modes of printing
	WYSIWYG or at least no Runoff-style coding

I don't know whether or not 1ST_Word Plus does it all:  THe 1ST_WORD
V1.06 that came with my 1040STf two years ago had lots of bugs, didn't
know from footnotes, and screwed up double spacing (but at least had
it, unlike 1.03).

Now I found one program which SEEMED to have it all.  Word Perfect For
the Atari ST, V4.1.  This is a very impressive package, with LOTS of
slick features.  Sadly, the implementation is not up to the quality
of WordPerfect's PC products.

The nastiest part of WP-Atari is that it has an undocument file size
limit in the 60k range.  If the file gets much longer, it might not
save, and it pretends to, so it loses your work!  They're working on
it, maybe, but recommend only doing small files.  Great.  It once
even deleted my original pre-session file:  If it weren't for DLII,
we'd have been serious goners (doing a thesis-class paper).  THANKS,
SIMON, FOR SAVING OUR LIVES!  (Simon Poole is the Peter Norton of
the ST world, and for free no less!)

Besides that, the overall implementation on the Atari is sloppy.
It occasionally goes nuts and gets stuck in a 1%-speed mode with
block stuck on; if you can save/exit you're okay after restarting.
The printer table for the April 15 version (which they mailed me
in Sept. from the factory) is wrong for the Panasonic 1080i, and
fixed in the 8/1 edition which they sent me last week, but the
font table which was good is now wrong, and I failed trying to make a
working printer file using elements of each... Weird.)  And the
spell check did a nasty 10-bomb on me once, using the new (8/1)
version.  The tech support guys asked me to figure out the pattern
of why it happens.  Great.

I suppose the AtariST market is too small for WordPerfect Corp.
to devote the effort to needed to support it right.  So I'm
thinking of trying yet another word proc. program.  They do at least
answer the phone (if you wait long enough); they just don't seem to
understand the ST well enough to make it play.  Sad -- we're so close
yet so far away.  Any suggestions?
--
These views are strictly the author's, and don't represent those of
DEC, NaC, CIA, FBI, KGB, AT&T, MCI, SOS, CBS, JFK or anyone else.

jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (11/14/88)

	Speaking of Word Perfect, what happened to the Canadian phone
number?  Last time I called the 1-800 number, I got an operator giving
me a new number to call, which turned out to be someone else entirely.
Can someone give me a number to call to get the latest version?
--
					-Jonathan Fischer
					Mr. Walkman

Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com (11/14/88)

I almost hate to say it, since I have seen so many people knock it, but I have
used almost everything from ST Writer, thru' Regent Word, First Word, Hippo
xxxx, Word Up, Tempus, Word Perfect, and Microsoft Write, and when I want to
do a fast letter or memo I use First Word Plus, for professional stuff where
I want excellent proportionally spaced type, with the use of the glossary to
built text from boilerplate components, i.e. legal stuff with special formats,
I use Microsoft Write. The more I use it and get really intimate with it's
features, the more I like it. With G+Plus instead of GDOS and an SLM804 it
produces truly professional copy, and quickly too. The only lasting beef I
have with it is the fact that every once in a while it boots up with a one
column page width and I have to reset the margin definitions when I start up.
It does multiple columnns with right justification and all that kind of bells
and whistles stuff. A very underrated program in my mind. The lack of an
integrated spell checker may bother some, but I've stopped relying on those
since I discovered how often typos aren't caught by them, since they constitute
a real word (i.e. thin, then, than, this, his, hen, etc.) When I have a real
long doc to proof I save it as ASCII run it thru word perfect's spell check,
by far the best spell checker I ever saw and then print it thru. MSW.

rjung@sal15.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (11/15/88)

In article <11286@cup.portal.com> Dave_Ninjajr_Flory@cup.portal.com writes:
>... for professional stuff where
>I want excellent proportionally spaced type, with the use of the glossary to
>built text from boilerplate components, i.e. legal stuff with special formats,
>I use Microsoft Write. The more I use it and get really intimate with it's
>features, the more I like it. With G+Plus instead of GDOS and an SLM804 it
>produces truly professional copy, and quickly too. ...
>... an underrated program in my mind.

  Not to start any wars or anything, but I think a major part of people's
grief with Microsoft Write for the ST is that it was _way_ below all of our
expectations.  It's an okay bare-bones (not too many bells and whistles)
WP, but for $140, it's preposterous.

  It does have (in my opinion) one advantage over all the other WP's out
there, and that is the use of GDOS' multiple fonts. In fact, it was my utter
disgust with M.Write that led me to WORDUP, by NeoCept. Contains almost
everything M.Write has, with even MORE features (graphics merging, glossary,
true WYSIWYG, etc.) -- and the stunning price of $80. You really should
try it sometime; The potential equvalent of MacWrite on the ST.

  Does anyone know when the next upgrade for WordUp is coming out? The guys at
NeoCept told me (at the Glendale Atari Faire, in September) that it would be
out "in two weeks". But now it's November, and nothing. Does anybody have
any news?

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) (11/16/88)

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've
been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a really
good word processor for a long time.  I'm an
occasional writer and I really like the ease of
use of First Word.  In fact, with just a few more
features, First Word would probably fill the bill
for someone like me.  The additional features I could
use are:

  1. A good spell checker.
  2. Dual column printing.
  3. Readability index function.

Does First Word Plus have any of these features?

Are there secondary spell checkers that can also
measure the readability index?

Is Word Perfect debugged enough to be worth the
money and effort?

frg@jfcl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (11/16/88)

I haven't used Microsoft Write.  If its main features are right
justification, proportional spacing and laser support, then it's
not for me, as I HATE right justified type except if it's serious
laser typeset quality, and I use a cheap Panasonic printer at home
(where this is for).  But does it have the word processing features?
Footnotes?  Italics (on a matrix printer that supports them)?
Maybe I should try to get a demo at the local computer store...
         fred

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) (11/17/88)

	Does WordUp have automatic headers, footers, page-numbering,
	auto-indent and a spell checker?  Is there a utility to convert
	my First Word files to WordUp format?

	Is it missing anything that you would like to see?

	It sounds like an excellent product for $80, thanks for the
	tip.

							Ron Abramson

rjung@nunki.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (11/18/88)

In article <480003@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) writes:
>	Does WordUp have automatic headers, footers, page-numbering,
>	auto-indent and a spell checker?  Is there a utility to convert
>	my First Word files to WordUp format?

  I don't know what an "automatic" header/footnote is, but there are nice
provisions for both, as well as page-numbering. There's also master pages,
which are pages of text/graphics you can have printed on every odd/even/all
pages, which is something no other WP I've seen so far offer.

  No auto-indent, but I don't find the tab key to be a menace. No spelling
checker either (though their ads hint at a possible future upgrade?), but
I can use it in conjunction with Thunder! (accessory) with no ill effects.
You can also merge in ASCII text files, and cut-n-paste between windows.

>	Is it missing anything that you would like to see?

  Not a whole lot. The current incarnation is about 90% perfection (I'm
still waiting for the next upgrade, which looks to be a REAL blockbuster),
but the current setup suits my (somewhat light) needs just fine.

>	It sounds like an excellent product for $80, thanks for the
>	tip.

  Just a fair tip: You really ought to have at least a megabyte to use this
program effectively, especially if you want to use more GDOS fonts than
it comes standard with (WordUp! comes with Epson 9-pin GDOS fonts for
Serif, Sans serif, and "typewriter" fonts; You'll have to send in your font
disk with a note to get appropros fonts for other printers). With a
megabyte or more, you can easily fit in the included fonts, and the
Thunder spelling checker, and several more goodies without straining things
too much.

  Despite how much I praise this program, it will *not* conquer a $300
WordPerfect with no effort. I am not a professional writer by any means; What
may be fine for me might be totally inappropriate for you. However, for only
$80, and with those beautiful GDOS fonts and the ability to load in
DEGAS/Neo/.IMG pictures into your documents, and the speed (100% 68000
assembly, no compiled code), and the documentation/design, it's _beautiful_...

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. I have no affiliation with NeoCept except as an extremely happy
customer (now where is the next upgrade??? B-)

P.P.S. As a demonstration of the program's ability, look at its
instruction manual. All 200-so pages written with WordUp and an Atari Laser
printer.

sl148033@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Kevin_Clendenien) (11/21/88)

[In article <480002@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) writes:]
=>In fact, with just a few more
=>features, First Word would probably fill the bill
=>for someone like me.  The additional features I could
=>use are:

=>  1. A good spell checker.
=>  2. Dual column printing.
=>  3. Readability index function.

=>Are there secondary spell checkers that can also
=>measure the readability index?

Yes, Thunder! (originally by Batteries Included, but I think they were
bought out.)  You not only get a spelling checker that you can set up
as a desk accessory, or a stand alone spelling checker, but you also
get two readability indexes.  And yes, I do use Thunder! with 1st Word.
It does make 1st Word a much nicer word processor.

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) (11/24/88)

	Thank you Robert and Kevin!  I've ordered Thunder! and the
	latest version of WordUp.  In case anyone else is interested
	WordUp costs $49 at a couple of mail order houses.  I figured
	that I couldn't go wrong at that price.

	Anyway, thanks again for your advice!

					Ron Abramson