[comp.sys.atari.st] illegal instructions

Cothrell@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (11/16/88)

Well, I just tried to get cute and replace the 68000 in my 1040 with a
68010.  Didn't work.  Near as I can tell the Rom has a Move SR,D0 in it,
which is a privilged instruction on anything besides the 68000.  Can
anyone confirm that The Atari ROMS (mega version) execute the above
instruction while in USER mode?

SAC Cothrell -at Dockmaster.Arpa

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/18/88)

In article <881116021045.085584@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> Cothrell@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
> Well, I just tried to get cute and replace the 68000 in my 1040 with a
> 68010.  Didn't work.

No kidding.  The 68010's stack frame format for all exceptions is
different from the 68000's.  This means there is an extra word between
the stack pointer and the arguments to a GEMDOS, BIOS, or XBIOS call
made from Super mode.  It is possible to write code which deals with
this situation, and in fact it's been done here by way of prototyping,
but at this point it isn't planned for TOS 1.4.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (11/26/88)

In article <1236@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>In article <881116021045.085584@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> Cothrell@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>> Well, I just tried to get cute and replace the 68000 in my 1040 with a
>> 68010.  Didn't work.
>
>No kidding.  The 68010's stack frame format for all exceptions is
>different from the 68000's.  This means there is an extra word between
>the stack pointer and the arguments to a GEMDOS, BIOS, or XBIOS call
>made from Super mode.  It is possible to write code which deals with
>this situation

A hacker in Germany did it.

He hacked TOS to run with the PAK68 processor replacement board (020
plus 881). He removed alle Line-A calls (replaced them with Line-F) and
dealed with the stack frame.

This version runs with the 010, too. The 010 will give just about 2.5
per cent more performance... I think, it is not worth the effort (the
hacked TOS is incompatible with a lot of programs...).

Pathed versions of a piece of software, you already have a lincence to,
are LEAGAL in Germany. If you payed for a software licence, you are free
to use the software at will; you must not give away your patched
version, but are free to sell the patches.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
In a space in the forest, on an empty patch of wet ground between a