[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari 3Q88

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (11/17/88)

As I promised, here are Atari's results for 3rd. quarter, released 11/14/88:

Figures for 3Q88 [3Q87]
		Net sales	Operating income	Net income
Computers/Video	97.0  [80.4]	11.9   [15.0]
Federated 	56.9		<6.7>
Consolidated	153.9 [80.4]	5.2    [15.0]		0.9 [9.0]
Net income per share: 0.02 [0.17]

Figures for 1-3Q88 [1-3Q87]
		Net sales	Operating income	Net income
Computers/Video	296.3 [216.2]	44.3   [40.7]
Federated 	191.5		<20.1>
Consolidated	487.8 [216.2]	24.2   [40.7]		12.1 [38.7]
Net income per share: 0.21 [0.67]

Extracting from Sam Tramiel's statement:

Growth continues to be constrained by high prices and shortage of DRAMs
Margins negatively impacted by adverse exchange rates and high component
costs.
A recently signed contract with a major DRAM supplier will assure expanded
stable supply of components which will enable us to expand our computer
business in 1989.
Overall results of Federated are disappointing. Margins have improved,
overheads reduced by 40% since 1/88. Tradeoff has been sales erosion, which
was anticipated but not to this extent. Aggressive marketing campaign for
4Q88 to be launched. Look forward to much improved 4th quarter.

[I have paraphrased some remarks to reduce typing!]

A PERSONAL (ie non-Atari) note to add: 4th quarter is always strong in
both markets - and overheads will remain pretty much fixed except for
advertising. So I expect/hope for pick up. And then there'll be all the
new products for early '89!

Roy Good/Atari

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (11/18/88)

> A PERSONAL (ie non-Atari) note to add: 4th quarter is always strong in
> both markets - and overheads will remain pretty much fixed except for
> advertising. So I expect/hope for pick up. And then there'll be all the
> new products for early '89!

First, thanks Roy for reporting the sales results.  I do not own Atari stock,
so I don't get the quarterly report.  This really doesn't answer the question
of how many of the various machines were sold, but that is a very questionable
number anyway since the only thing Atari could possibly report is how many
machines were shipped to distributors, not how many were actually sold.

My real question is in response to your last statement.  What was shown at
Comdex?  What new products are promised in early '89?  What is the timetable
for their release?  Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

FACT: Your cat has more muscles in its tail than you do in your head.

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (ron abramson) (11/19/88)

Thanks for the info Roy!

I hope that you can find time to make these postings on a somewhat
regular basis.  Perhaps once a quarter.

BTW it might be helpful to say that the units were in millions of
dollars (I assume its millions, anyway).

Its great to see Atari people answering questions on the net!

				Ron Abramson

P.S. I like to think that my opinions are my own.

In article <1234@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
>As I promised, here are Atari's results for 3rd. quarter, released 11/14/88:

Thanks a lot Roy, the numbers look great however a teensy bit more
detail would really be appreciated. For instance :

>Figures for 1-3Q88 [1-3Q87]
>		Net sales	Operating income	Net income
>Computers/Video	296.3 [216.2]	44.3   [40.7]

Can you break this into two items, Computers and Video rather than
combined?

The other missing numbers would be ASP or average selling price
of the 520ST, 1040ST, Mega2, and Mega4 followed by the breakdown
of percentages for the computer sales. This would allow one to
calculate "units sold" for the first three quarters of 1988.

If you know the "installed base" number for 1987 we would be
completely happy. Thanks,

--Chuck McManis

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (11/24/88)

in article <78875@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) says:

> In article <1234@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
>>As I promised, here are Atari's results for 3rd. quarter, released 11/14/88:
> Thanks a lot Roy, the numbers look great however a teensy bit more
> detail would really be appreciated. For instance :
> [deleted]
> Can you break this into two items, Computers and Video rather than
> combined?
>
> The other missing numbers would be ASP or average selling price
> of the 520ST, 1040ST, Mega2, and Mega4 followed by the breakdown
> of percentages for the computer sales. This would allow one to
> calculate "units sold" for the first three quarters of 1988.
> If you know the "installed base" number for 1987 we would be
> completely happy. Thanks,

I only posted the 3Q results as I knew they were public. I don't think we
publish the computers versus videogames split, similarly the split by
subsidiary etc etc.
If such data is available, and is considered publishable by those who
must be obeyed (Rumpole RIP), I'll post it.
Roy Good/Atari

sfr@praxis.co.uk (Stephen Rickaby) (11/29/88)

In article <1243@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:

> If such data is available, and is considered publishable by those who
> must be obeyed (Rumpole RIP), I'll post it.

Roy, and others, will be pleased to hear that there is a new series of
Rumpole going out in the UK at the moment.  No doubt it will cross the
Atlantic in due course.

Apologies for the irrelevence of this to the newsgroup ...:-)

Steve Rickaby                                     |    ,,,
Praxis Systems plc                                |  < O_O >
20 Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1PX, UK              | ==( . )==
Tel: +44 225 444700 Tx: 445848 PRAXIS G           |         Prrrouwf, Wackwacka
sfr%praxis.uuc@ukc.ac.uk                          |
!mcvax!ukc!praxis!sfr                             |