[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Magazines from Germany

gr89@jungfrau.UUCP (Mathlab-gr89) (11/22/88)

In article <11140@cup.portal.com> BobR writes :
>Federico Heinz says:
>>Frankly, I don't know what to think about all this "proprietary
>>information" stuff about the Mega bus.  Here in Germany, a magazine has
>>published the pinouts of the bus (I think it was c't), and another one
>>even published the schematics for adding a Mega bus to any other model.
>
>Could you give us more information on the magazine which published the
>information for adding a Mega buss to other STs, the name and issue date
>of the magazine, and an address for the publisher, if you have it...?
>
>Perhaps we could arrange for reprint rights in the U.S.   I'm sure
>a LOT of people would be interested..!
>
>BobR

Here is a brief discussion about the most common and interesting
magazines for ST Owners. Actually it is my VERY own oppinion, so don't
start flaming.
The first magazin relying only on the ST was/is ST COMPUTER, first issue
January 1986. Published by
   Heim Verlag
   ST Computer
   Heidelberger Landstr. 194
   6100 Darmstadt 13

This Paper was the first in introducing a PD Collection, now (November
1988) they collected app. 150 Disks.
The Magazin is somewhat a "standart" here in Germany/Switzerland, you
have good Software and Hardware Reviews, both from Atari and other,
to Atari dedicated, Companies. But this Paper understands itself more
as a User Magazin than for Hardware Freaks. They published some
peripheral Hardware, such as an Eprom Burner and an EPROM Bank for
the Rom Port.

The next big Magazin is called 68000 ST MAGAZIN (don't mess up with
another Paper called ST MAGAZIN which i will not discuss). Formerly this
Magazin was for all Computers with 68000 CPU, but since app. April 88
they changed and are ST private now! Published by
   Markt & Technik Verlag
   ST-Magazin
   Hans-Pinsel Strasse 2
   8013 Haar

This Paper brought the last few month very exciting new Hardware
Projects:
   - Mega Bus for the 520 ST issue 10 (October) , bug report and new
                   version issue 12 December.
   - 16 MHZ 68000 CPU-Board in issue 11
   - MF Keyboard connectid through Midi or Rom-Port issue 12

This Magazins seems to think very strong about good Hardware Projects.

The next two Magazines are very Hardware oriented too, but do not only
rely on Atari.
The first Magazin,which i really enjoy reading is called c't (stands for
computer technic, i suppose). Published by
   Verlag Heinz Heise GmbH & Co KG
   Helstorferstr. 7
   Postfach 61 04 07
   3000 Hannover 61

Projects :
   - Eprom Bank 			Issue 3/86
   - I/o Karte (User Port)		Issue 3/86
   - Eprom Burner			Issue 7/86
   - Universal Interface : ECB Bus
			   IBM Slotkarten
			   Eprom Bank 512K
     for the ROM Port !!!		Issue 7/87
   - cheap Interface for an OMTI PC Controller Issue 2/88
   - Rom Port Expander			Issue 5/88
   - PC Harddisk with Universalinterface Issue 4/88
   - 12 Bit AD/DA Card			Issue 9/88
   - PC AT MF Keyboards : low cost	Issue 10/88
			  Midi Port	Issue 11/88
   - Transputer 4/8 for IBM (TEK 4/8)	Issue 11/87
   - Server TEK 4/8 to Universal Interface Issue 8/88
   - CPU Exchange Card 68020/68881 <--> 68000 Issue 8/87
     called PAK 68
   - Swtiching Card PAK 68 <--> 68000   Issue 11/87
   - 32 Bit SRam for PAK 68		Issue 12/88
   - Tos & Gem for PAK 68		Issue 3/88

At last i like to mention another Magazin, which i do not read
frequently but which is quite big:
MC (stands for Mikro Computer) is a lot like C't, perhaps a bit less
Hardware oriented. Publisher:
   Franzis Verlag GmbH
   Karlstrasse 37-41
   8000 Muenchen 2

 Should be available in USA:

   International Media Marketing
   7310 Adam St. Suite C
   Paramount
   CA 90723

The last Project :
   - MC Interface (DMA) for any Harddisks

This list is surely not complete, may include some Errors and
expresses my oppinion. Addresses are taken from the "Impressum"
of the mentioned Magazines.

Juerg Eckner

eMail Address : gr89@ethz.ch
                ethz : Federal Technical University of Zurich,
                       Switzerland

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (11/30/88)

In article <680@jungfrau.UUCP> gr89@jungfrau.UUCP (Mathlab-gr89) writes:
..
>Here is a brief discussion about the most common and interesting
>magazines for ST Owners. Actually it is my VERY own oppinion, so don't
>start flaming.

No flame, just my opinion...

>The first magazin relying only on the ST was/is ST COMPUTER, first issue

Is probably the best ST-specific German magazin.

>The next big Magazin is called 68000 ST MAGAZIN (don't mess up with
>another Paper called ST MAGAZIN which i will not discuss). Formerly this
>Magazin was for all Computers with 68000 CPU, but since app. April 88
>they changed and are ST private now! Published by

Was usable (barely) as long as they covered a range of machines, has gone
real bad since it started covering only the ST.

>The first Magazin,which i really enjoy reading is called c't (stands for
>computer technic, i suppose). Published by

Could be the best technical computer magazin available (in German and English).

>MC (stands for Mikro Computer) is a lot like C't, perhaps a bit less

Still love BASIC.......

One major problem all the above mags have, is that they rely on Atari
Germany for ST specific infomation, which in the past (and probably in
the future too...) has lead to widespread false information and a lot
of bad PR for Atari.

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

rnss@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Ron Schreiner) (12/02/88)

In article <533@forty2.UUCP> poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) writes:

>Is probably the best ST-specific German magazin.

Speaking of good ST mags, I saw a new one from Canada

reSeT

RESET Magazine
88C Jamie Avenue
Ottawa,Ontario
Canada K2C 6T6

Tel  613-723-0264
BBS  613-723-8838  ( on mag subscription )

From a pure productions standpoint it is very impresive, lots of color.
The content was good to.

--
Ron Schreiner   AT&T Bell Labs  ...att!ihuxy!rnss

kirkenda@psu-cs.UUCP (Steve Kirkendall) (12/08/88)

In article <2733@ihuxy.ATT.COM> rnss@ihuxy.UUCP (Ron Schreiner) writes:
>Speaking of good ST mags, I saw a new one from Canada
>reSeT

I agree.  They have written articles which clearly discuss moderately
technical subjects, which seem quite relevent to what I want my Atari
to do.  For example, I was trying to hook up a bare third-party drive
and I couldn't find a pin-out of the drive, so I go to the bookstore,
and BOOM there it is in reSeT!  Truly a great magazine,  even if they
do misspell "color" a lot. :-)
--
"If I seem insensitive to what you're going through,
	keep in mind that's the way I am." -- Mr. Spock