[comp.sys.atari.st] A CLI for the ST

susher@uk.ac.ucl.cs (11/29/88)

Does anyone out there in the big wide world know where I can get a good,
intelligent, public domain command line interpreter for a 520STM as I
am rapidly losing patience with GEM. I have come to the conclusion, after
using both GEM and MacDOS that GEM need replacing.

	Thanking you inanticipation,

		Stephen Usher

		susher@cs.ucl.ac.uk
or 		ucacmsu@euclid.ucl.ac.uk

		Janet addresses:	susher@uk.ac.ucl.cs
					ucacmsu@uk.ac.ucl.euclid

Don't forget! Every silver lining has its cloud!

frandsen@iesd.uucp (Peter Frandsen) (12/06/88)

In his article Stephen Usher writes:

|* Does anyone out there in the big wide world know where I can get a good,
|* intelligent, public domain command line interpreter for a 520STM as I
|* am rapidly losing patience with GEM. I have come to the conclusion, after
|* using both GEM and MacDOS that GEM need replacing.

I`ll recommend a shell called Gulam (Gulaam).

In use Gulam 'looks' like csh of UNIX 4.xBSD. It provides:

- more than 60 built-in commands
- file name completion
- history
- alias
- integrated editor (small is beautiful microEmacs)
- file transfer

The Gulam source is not public domain, it is copyrighted.

BUT it is a free program.

FROM
  Peter Frandsen
  Aalborg University Center
  Denmark

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (12/08/88)

In article <93@ucl-cs.UUCP> susher@uk.ac.ucl.cs writes:

>Does anyone out there in the big wide world know where I can get a good,
>intelligent, public domain command line interpreter for a 520STM as I
>am rapidly losing patience with GEM. I have come to the conclusion, after
>using both GEM and MacDOS that GEM need replacing.

I recommend Gulam.  It is not PD, because the author holds the
copyright on the source code, but it is free, and may be shared
with others.

I think it is great.  I set the prompt to look something like the
prompt that I use on the un*x box at the office.  It has tenex-style
name completion and accepts wild cards in file names.  I can have
little command shells that I can execute from Gulam, it has aliasing,
and allows me to set variables.
When I
boot my system, I autocopy gulam to the ramdisk and then autostart
gulam from the ram.  Occasionally, I use the desktop and the mouse, but
mostly it is gulam or APL.

Gulam has xmodem built in.  It also has ue, (a version of micro-emacs)
built in, and it has te, a terminal emulator, like a VT52.  This latter
does not come up to the standards set by Uniterm, but, since it is
there, (and since Uniterm does not have APL characters yet -- soon,
Simon ?  :-)  ), I sometimes use te, or the closely related TOM,
an APL terminal emulator.

Gulam has 62 built-in commands, and un*x users will recognize many:

alias    dm       endwhile help     more     printenv set      ue
cat      dirc     exit     history  mson     pushd    setenv   unalias
cd       dirs     fg       if       msoff    pwd      source   unset
chmod    echo     fgrep    kb       mv       rehash   sx       unsetenv
copy     egrep    foreach  lpr      peekw    ren      te       which
cp       ef       format   ls       pokew    rm       teexit   while
date     endfor   gem      mem      popd     rmdir    time
df       endif    grep     mkdir    print    rx       touch

I love Gulam.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

pdusek@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Peter Dusek) (12/09/88)

In article <93@ucl-cs.UUCP> susher@uk.ac.ucl.cs writes:

>Does anyone out there in the big wide world know where I can get a good,
>intelligent, public domain command line interpreter for a 520STM as I
>am rapidly losing patience with GEM. I have come to the conclusion, after
>using both GEM and MacDOS that GEM need replacing.

In addition to Gulam, I would recommend MINIX for the ST.

Minix is a complete V7 Un*x operating system for the ST.  It has most of the
Un*x utilities and tools included and comes with an assembler and C compiler.

Minix uses the Bourne shell for the user-interface.  One possible quirk is that
the Minix operating system is different from TOS, so you cannot run normal ST
programs with it. However, it is a very good replacement for TOS.

Minix sells for about $80 US and comes with complete sources.

An additional bonus is that Minix is fully multitasking.

Peter.
------
--
<<<               Fire, fire, burning bright
                  In the jungles of the night

Just seconding that recommendation there. It was kind of daunting to get
into, since I'd been using Mark Williams' msh for so long. But msh was
too limiting, and Gulam is just terrific. I wish I had a shell on my Unix
box that had all these features. (Mebbe I do, I've got the tcsh sources,
but haven't tried 'em yet...)

There are a few problems with it and Mark Williams make, though, so I can't
get rid of msh just yet.... I think John Dunning's Minimal Shell may fill
the bill there, though...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu