[comp.sys.atari.st] SC1224 Monitor Buzz . . .

UNCSPL@UNC.BITNET ("Scott P Leslie") (12/03/88)

Hello,
   Does anyone happen to know why my SC1224 monitor would have
an irritating little hum/buzz/high-pitch noise to its operation?
Its not a real big problem, but if someone would happen to know it
woul make my long sessions at the terminal more pleasant.
.
Thanks,
Scott P. Leslie (UNCSPL@UNC)                                 Jax
NEWD Software : Nothing Else Will Do!

c60a-2bn@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Lawrence Chiu) (12/04/88)

It's driving me crazy too.  Please summarize any replies you get about a cure.

Lawrence Y. Chiu; University of California, Berkeley.

mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/05/88)

My SC1224 also has a high pitched buzz (not just the usual one). Do they all
do this (it is a Mega-styled one)?
Is there a cure?

                                             Mike Stepniczka
                                             mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) (12/07/88)

In article <111500011@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>My SC1224 also has a high pitched buzz (not just the usual one). Do they all
>do this (it is a Mega-styled one)?
>Is there a cure?
>

>                                             Mike Stepniczka
>                                             mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

In article <111500011@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>My SC1224 also has a high pitched buzz (not just the usual one). Do they all
>do this (it is a Mega-styled one)?
>Is there a cure?

	The high pitched buzz that many have been experiencing is most
likely the High Voltage transformer (aka: Flyback). As the monitor is
made by GoldStar, and I have run into this many times before, it is not
too unlikely.

	It also may be perhaps the power supply, as is I am not mistaken,
they are utilizine a switching type power supply. At least thay do in the
SC1224 (color) monitors.

	I have seen reference to turning off the mono monitor for it may
case a breakdown. Perhaps, but I doubt it. The snap that was described
sounded like the high voltage dropping then back up because the video
had disappeared for a moment.

	The pattern described sounds like what is known as Keystone,
which usually indicates a bad yoke.

	In refernce to the fadded white Horiz line at first, that seem to
disappear after the monitor warms, sounds like yuo are seeing retrace lines,
which could indicate a CRT as being soft, or the screen driver being set too
high.

	I personally have both monitors, and since 1985 have yet to have a
problem with either.

	rich.....
	UUCP: {uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich

easterb@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (61811000) (12/07/88)

In article <174@lakesys.UUCP> rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) writes:
>	The high pitched buzz that many have been experiencing is most
>likely the High Voltage transformer (aka: Flyback). As the monitor is
>made by GoldStar, and I have run into this many times before, it is not
>too unlikely. rich.....  UUCP: {uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich

If Mike's monitor is made by Gold Star, I wish him luck in
getting it fixed.  My SC1224 went out in June, and my local
repair shop couldn't get the power supply parts they ordered
from Gold Star (they ordered a voltage regulator and later
a flyback transformer).  When I finally called Gold Star
directly, they DENIED they had ever made Atari monitors at all.
After being presented with evidence that they did, they
admitted it, but refused to offer any support (that is, parts).

My impression (which may be false) is that they don't have the
contract to make monitors for Atari any more, and they aren't
interested in supporting them.

Meanwhile, my color monitor is still not working.  Whine gripe moan.
William K. Karwin                 ARPA  : easterb@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
"Any nitwit can understand        UUCP  : ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!easterb
computers.  Many do." -T. Nelson  BITNET: easterb@ucscb.BITNET

kirkenda@psu-cs.UUCP (Steve Kirkendall) (12/09/88)

Monitor noise usually comes from the flyback transformer.  Flyback transformers
usually operate at about 15000 Hz.  If the coils of the flyback transformer are
loose, they may vibrate at this frequency, producing a high-pitched whine.

I don't have a SC1224 monitor, so I can't describe the innards with any
authority, BUT...

	1) unplug the monitor, and let it sit overnight so any residual high
	   voltage drains off.
	2) open the monitor's case.
	3) look for a "suction cup" stuck onto the back of the CRT.  This
	   should have a single thick wire coming from it, leading to a
	   big fat disk-shaped thing, wrapped around a metal core.  This is
	   the flyback transformer.
	4) if you can shove a toothpick or something between the big fat disk
	   and the metal core, you *might* get rid of the whine.

No guarantees of any kind, of course; I am not a responsible person.
--
"If I seem insensitive to what you're going through,
	keep in mind that's the way I am." -- Mr. Spock

kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Kevin Jackson) (12/10/88)

In article <5653@saturn.ucsc.edu> easterb@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wm. Karwin) writes:
>If Mike's monitor is made by Gold Star, I wish him luck in ....
> ...  When I finally called Gold Star
>directly, they DENIED they had ever made Atari monitors at all.
>After being presented with evidence that they did, they
>admitted it, but refused to offer any support (that is, parts).
>
>My impression (which may be false) is that they don't have the
>contract to make monitors for Atari any more, and they aren't
>interested in supporting them.

Actually, from what I understand, they never were very interested in supporting
the atari monitors they made.

I, too, had problems with my Goldstar monitor (which I consider to be the
worst of the three types of sc1224's).  I called Goldstar, only to have them
tell me: a) they didn't make atari monitors, b) the monitor serial number I
had was not a US destination monitor, c) even though the monitor was built by
them, because it was one of the atari monitors they would not provide any sort
of support (including parts).

Well, I ended up trading in my defective monitor to atari for one of the new
(so called) Mega sc1224 monitors (which are made by Samsung, incidentally). I
have had much better luck with this monitor, although to date, almost everyone
I've talked to agrees that the original sc1224's (made by JVC) are the
nicest (sharpest screen, etc).

kevinj
kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU		ncar!boulder!kevinj

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) (12/11/88)

In article <5653@saturn.ucsc.edu> easterb@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wm. Karwin) writes:
>In article <174@lakesys.UUCP> rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) writes:
>> STUFF Deleted 				As the monitor is
>>made by GoldStar, and I have run into this many times before, it is not
>>too unlikely. rich.....  UUCP: {uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
>
>If Mike's monitor is made by Gold Star, I wish him luck in
>getting it fixed.  My SC1224 went out in June, and my local
>repair shop couldn't get the power supply parts they ordered
>from Gold Star (they ordered a voltage regulator and later
>a flyback transformer).  When I finally called Gold Star
>directly, they DENIED they had ever made Atari monitors at all.
>After being presented with evidence that they did, they
>admitted it, but refused to offer any support (that is, parts).
>
>My impression (which may be false) is that they don't have the
>contract to make monitors for Atari any more, and they aren't
>interested in supporting them.

	From what I have seen, Atari has (for about the past year at least)
Hitachi monitors with the Atari name on them. Personally, I wish they would
have stayed with JVC as that was their first monitor.

	The GoldStars (All controls on side) suffer from inherrent design
problems in the High Voltage circuit as well as the Low voltage Ckts.

	The Hitachi made monitors, (controls mounted on front with slashed
type power switch) suffer from both High voltage design flaws as well as
pincussion problems. The picture blooms (larger/smaller) with the varience
of either the Brightness or contrast controls, as well as lacking the
sharp focus really desired. The Pincussion comes into view, especially in
the corners, as the convergence of the three scan lines (red/green/blue)
simply put suck!

	I personally have the JVC model and would not swith/change for the
world. Had mine since 85, still sharp, clear, and no glare!

	rich.....
	UUCP:{ihnp4~uunet~marque~uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich