[comp.sys.atari.st] GIF -> Spectrum converter???

es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) (12/10/88)

Greetings, Atarians...

     I am looking for a couple of things having to do with conversion of
GIF format pictures to Spectrum pics, and about GIF in general...

     Does anyone out there have a decent GIF -> Spectrum converter?  By
decent, I mean a converter that does at least as well as Spectrum converts
IFF to Spectrum.

     How about C source code (or just about anything, for that matter) to
load GIF pictures into a blittable array in memory?
     Thirdly, does anyone have a GIF viewer that is faster, better, and/or
better-featured than GIFSHOW, by Zaphodyne?

     Fourth, if none of these exist, would anyone else out there be
interested in one?  (i.e. is there any interest in my writing one?)

Thanks in advance...

Eric Stuyvesant
es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu
I'll not be at this arpa node from Dec. 15 to ~ Jan. 15.

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (12/13/88)

In article <4Xc7rgh98k-043BlIJ@andrew.cmu.edu> es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) writes:

>     Does anyone out there have a decent GIF -> Spectrum converter?  By
>decent, I mean a converter that does at least as well as Spectrum converts
>IFF to Spectrum.

Digispec (a commercial product from Trio Engineering and available
from your local dealer) can read GIF files, and display them (and save
them) as Spectrum files.  I now use it to convert all of my GIF files
to Spectrum, since they display so much better this way.

Its main purpose is to convert Computereyes video digitizer data to
Spectrum format, however, so if you don't have Computereyes you may
not want to pay for this feature.  Or you may want to get Computereyes.

>     How about C source code (or just about anything, for that matter) to
>load GIF pictures into a blittable array in memory?

I don't have anything, but of course this is feasible.  If you can
display it, you can blit it (essentially).

>     Thirdly, does anyone have a GIF viewer that is faster, better, and/or
>better-featured than GIFSHOW, by Zaphodyne?

GIFSHOW is what I have.  While it works reasonably well, it has bugs
(don't try to use it if GDOS is installed, for example!) and
limitations (I never really saw some of my GIF pictures until I used
Digispec to display them).  Of course some of the limitations are
directly related to displaying 256-color pictures with a 16-color
palette.

Greg Wageman			ARPA:  greg%sentry@spar.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP: ...!decwrl!spar!sentry!greg
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.