[comp.sys.atari.st] DA Text Editor Wanted

iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) (12/09/88)

       I want an easy to use desk accessory text editor.  Something that
    uses arrows to move the cursor around and has page forward and back-
    ward, go to top and bottom, insert/delete/backspace/overtype and (if
    at all possible) the ability to enter Ctrl-key values.  Can anyone
    point me in the direction of such a beast.  I'm using a Mega2 if that
    makes any difference.  Please note that I am not looking for a word
    processor or desk-top publishing type of program.  I got a copy of
    one called Word Window that does most everything I want, but when I
    bring up its window the screen drops in intensity by 50% or more.
    This, quite frankly, scares the blue funk outta me every time it happens.
    If anyone is using this program and that is not normal behavior for it
    please let me know.  I plan to summarize any resulting information back
    to this newsgroup so just mail to me rather than post.
                                      Thanks,
                                         Terry Banks

    P.S.   Any leads on a monochrome monitor at a reasonable price?
--
T. Terrell Banks  uucp:                      {backbone}!gatech!gitpyr!iadt3tb
Georgia Insitute of Technology - I.S.A.      Internet: iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.edu

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (12/12/88)

In article <6923@pyr.gatech.EDU> iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) writes:

|       I want an easy to use desk accessory text editor.  Something that
|    uses arrows to move the cursor around and has page forward and back-
|    ward, go to top and bottom, insert/delete/backspace/overtype and (if
|    at all possible) the ability to enter Ctrl-key values.  Can anyone
|    point me in the direction of such a beast.  I'm using a Mega2 if that
[...]

Here in France, such a tool is included into "quickmind" accessory, an acc
written (i believe) by Dominique Laurent, author of Turbodos.

Quickmind includes several features:
	- file manager, ram disk, print spooler, keyboard edit, file viewer
	- agenda
	- calculator (texas or HP)
	- address directory
	- a game (hanoi towers)
	- and a notepad, consisting of a mini-wordprocessing, 1st word
	compatible, 12 pages long. You can save/import/print these pages.

It is a commercial product, sold by a french company named MIND SOFT.
(I do not know if they still exist!)

Hope this help. (but look also at gnome.acc, an emacs-like D.A.)

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) (12/13/88)

From article <874@irisa.UUCP>, by decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty):
> In article <6923@pyr.gatech.EDU> iadt3tb@pyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks ) writes:
> |
> |       I want an easy to use desk accessory text editor.  Something that
> Here in France, such a tool is included into "quickmind" accessory, an acc

NEVER USE QUICKMIND!

I bought it with my 1040ST and I discovered to my horror that it happily
trashed the FAT of a disk if you changed the current directory from the main
application beetween two calls to the notepad. It seemed (like other
programs from the same author) to be full of extremly nasty bugs.

Use a "shell" accessory with gulam (my favorite way) or gnome.acc.

However, I can GIVE my quickmind original to anyone wanting it... :-)

Colas NAHABOO       -- BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project
                            (Kit d'Outils pour Atelier de Logiciels Avances)
    Internet:       colas@mirsa.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Colas NAHABOO, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.77.71