[comp.sys.atari.st] Is there a faster ST in the works?

close@cacilj.UUCP (Diane Barlow Close) (12/14/88)

In article <511@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>In article <10338@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jafischer@spurge.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
>>
>>	As a related question,  I'm really curious  whether _anyone_ has
>>seen the 'Turbo' 16MHz upgrade  that was first  advertised almost a year
>>Last I heard, it was going into production,  and this was quite some time
>>ago.    What's the current status?  Anyone out there know?
>
>When I called Megabyte in September, they said they were being forced to
>redesign the board because one of the parts they used was no longer
>available on the market. They mentioned that they might have the new design
>ready by October. Also, they were accepting orders for the board, but only
>
>I called again last week, but I guess it was a little too early Texas time,
>however, the board was not yet available. I was going to call ...

When I called them late last week, the woman who answered the phone said that
the board was working on the mono ST, but not on the colour ST.  She said it
had something to do with the video refresh rate (or some such thing), and that
they wouldn't be releasing the board until it worked on both machines.  She
also said that they had/were in the process of testing software with the board
so that they could publish a compatibilty and speed-up list.

Now, she could have been just pulling my leg, but she did sound sincere.  When
I called back the next day for prices, they wouldn't tell me *anything* other
than send a SASE for more information.  The day after that, they told me the
board will sell for around $300 U.S.

You figure it out...

--
Diane Barlow Close