[comp.sys.atari.st] Moria

sreeb@pnet01.cts.com (Ed Beers) (11/04/88)

I recently aquired the game Moria from lakesys.  My question is, what did
I get and how do I use it.  After uud and unark, both apparently successfull,
I now have one file name MORIA.  There are no docs and attempts to execute
it by naming it moria.ttp and moria.prg failed from both gulam and the desk-
top.  Any help would be most appreciated.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!sreeb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sreeb@nosc.mil
INET: sreeb@pnet01.cts.com

bradon@lifia.imag.fr (bradon) (12/14/88)

I have got Moria on my ST but there seems to be a bug because I walk four steps
and the game is blocked the only thing I can do is to reset my computer.

Can somebody help me please ?

Thanks for all.

Olivier BOURDON 	| FFFFFFFF  L       AAAAAAA  SSSSSSS  H      H
LIFIA. 46 av. F.Viallet | F         L       A     A  S        H      H
38031 Grenoble. France. | FFFF      L       AAAAAAA  SSSSSSS  HHHHHHHH
bradon@lifia.imag.fr    | F         L       A     A        S  H      H
"I'm an ST Maniac"      | F         LLLLLL  A     A  SSSSSSS  H      H

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/15/88)

In article <5083@lifia.imag.fr>, bradon@lifia.imag.fr (bradon) writes:
> I have got Moria on my ST but there seems to be a bug because I walk four steps
> and the game is blocked the only thing I can do is to reset my computer.
>
> Can somebody help me please ?

I would like to apologise to everyone who has been annoyed by this bug.  It is
due to the way the random number generator is initialized.  It can be avoided
by setting the correct time and date before starting the game (every time).
Thanks to Jim Wilson, keeper of umoria, for finding the problem.

The random number generator used in ST moria constructs an unsigned long from
the middle bits of the output of 3 multiplicative congruential generators
(Lehmer grammars).  Unfortunately, I didn't check to avoid the seeds being
chosen as zero before starting (there's also an error in updating, but that
causes no obvious problems in this application).  I have a time setter in my
auto folder, so when the random number initialization routine reads the clock,
it gets lots of non-zero bits.  If the clock isn't set, 2 or 3 of the Lehmer
grammars will be initialized with 0 and stay that way.  I think this gets used
as an index in looking in a table that starts with 1, but I'm not sure.

Anyone who has the source code should fix the random number generator in
specials.c to avoid initialization with 0-s.  I will fix this along with some
other stuff in a couple of months, and at least get new versions to some
servers.~r