[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS Replacement Project

cs64fba@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (TAI) (12/02/88)

Has anyone read the newest issue of ST-log?  In an article
concerning the X-former II (8-bit Atari Emulator) the author states
that the TOS uses non-optimizing 68000 codes "everywhere".  This
must be one reason for GEM's slowness.  Perhaps one approach
currently for improving the ST is to write faster, more optimizing
routines for components of GEM/TOS (such as AES, VDI, and Line-A
routines) and interface these routines to the OS so that programs
which call these TOS routines often can use our faster routines
instead, like what the program "Turbo ST" is
trying to do.   This way current programs can remain compitable, and
their performance can be improved.  This approach also encourages
the writing of well-behaved program since they can call our faster
routines instead of finding someway to cheat in order to get the
performance they need.  This method can also serve as a starting
point of writing a more complete TOS substitution.  Any comments?

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (12/03/88)

in article <359@sdcc14.ucsd.edu>, cs64fba@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (TAI) says:
> Sender:pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu via sdcc14.ucsd.edu
> Keywords:TOS, STOS, ST-LOG, 68000
>
> Has anyone read the newest issue of ST-log?  In an article
> concerning the X-former II (8-bit Atari Emulator) the author states
> that the TOS uses non-optimizing 68000 codes "everywhere".  This
> must be one reason for GEM's slowness.  Perhaps one approach
> currently for improving the ST is to write faster, more optimizing
> routines for components of GEM/TOS (such as AES, VDI, and Line-A
> routines) and interface these routines to the OS so that programs
> which call these TOS routines often can use our faster routines
> instead, like what the program "Turbo ST" is
> trying to do.

That is not exactly true.  TOS is a combination of both 68000 assembly AND
C code.  True it is mostly C, but more and more is being replaced w/
assembler (TOS 1.4 is a good example).

Dan

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (12/05/88)

In article <1252@atari.UUCP> danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:

>That is not exactly true.  TOS is a combination of both 68000 assembly AND
>C code.  True it is mostly C, but more and more is being replaced w/
>assembler (TOS 1.4 is a good example).
>

>Dan

ya, but how many people have TOS 1.4????	:-)
(paraphrased from the author of the article who started this whole issue)

i think that the author was referring to the TOS that most of us are
stuck with!!

did you read his TOS/2 article in Current Notes and pick up on any of his
suggestions?? such as: code compatibility with the 68010/20, etc.

--
Ignac A. Kolenko                   "Squeeze my lemon, let the juice run
watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac        down my leg!" - Led Zep (Lemon Song)

stephen@plx.UUCP (Stephen Heath ) (12/06/88)

In article <1252@atari.UUCP}, danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:
} in article <359@sdcc14.ucsd.edu>, cs64fba@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (TAI) says:
} > Sender:pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu via sdcc14.ucsd.edu
} > Keywords:TOS, STOS, ST-LOG, 68000
} >
}
} That is not exactly true.  TOS is a combination of both 68000 assembly AND
} C code.  True it is mostly C, but more and more is being replaced w/
} assembler (TOS 1.4 is a good example).
} Dan

And we all have a legal copy or any copy at all, don't we?  :-) :-)

Where can I get this fast bug free version?

|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|
| |Stephen Heath                                    sun!plx!stephen | |
| |My employer may choose or may not choose to (dis)agree, or both. | |
|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|=|

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/16/88)

In article <1252@atari.UUCP>, danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:
| That is not exactly true.  TOS is a combination of both 68000 assembly AND
| C code.  True it is mostly C, but more and more is being replaced w/
| assembler (TOS 1.4 is a good example).

What a shame!  They ain't got no real good C compilers in these here parts?
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@lasso.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!lasso!ralph	If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU