[comp.sys.atari.st] atari mouse chip?

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (12/17/88)

does anyone know the details of the chip in a ST mouse? Abacus "internals"
says it's a quad op amp. is it? who makes it?
--
All of the above is not be construed as anything other than opinions,
approximations, hearsay, rumor, and utterly baseless slander.

	Mike Nemeth  HCR Corporation  {utzoo,utcsri}!hcr!miken

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (12/20/88)

In article <4349@hcr.UUCP> miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) writes:
>does anyone know the details of the chip in a ST mouse? Abacus "internals"
>says it's a quad op amp. is it? who makes it?

Quad op-amps aren't exactly spectacular chips.  In the case of the st mouse,
such a thing would be used as a comparator to produce crisp, sharp pulses.

Now, if you want to find out what chips might be inside the mouse (I have no
idea since it's been a while since I opened one up), you can take a look for
yourself.  Comercial chips have a part number and manufacturer printed on
the top of the chip.  Quad Op-amps are fairly standard chips so part numbers
would be standard and replacements easy to find.

However, if you have the notion of mouse construction, then it's not nearly as
simple.
Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder|| printf("Say please:] \n");
              walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu=======|| if (say_please(user))
{ncar,nbires,sunybcs}!boulder!tramp!walkerb====||     be_nice(random());