[comp.sys.atari.st] PageStream?

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) (12/13/88)

I just got my second update to Publishing Partner (formerly PP Pro) --
what is going on here?  It seems to be still another buggy demo.  I
can't be expected to use it, since they don't provide all the printer
drivers they claim they have (I have a C. Itoh 8510), and even the
tutorials don't work as described.

Do we just get an endless series of demos, or is there any indication
that at some time they may provide a working package?

I asked my dealer about this -- he said that he received PageStream a
week earlier, had some DTP experts who were used to PP give it a workout
over the weekend, and on Monday at their recommendation he returned it.
So I'm not the only one at a loss to figure out what this is all about.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (12/17/88)

Our store returned PageStream also.  Although we have one friend who
says he has figured it out enough to avoid the bugs, we didn't feel
that it was nearly a solid enough product to be able to sell with
a clear conscience.

We got Calamus in on Monday.  It seems to be absolutely amazing.
It's $100 more than PageStream, however.  Personally, from our
first uses, it appears to be worth the price difference.  I would
like to see more fonts.  They are coming, we hear.

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/20/88)

In article <2871@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) writes:

> We got Calamus in on Monday.  It seems to be absolutely amazing.
> It's $100 more than PageStream, however.  Personally, from our
> first uses, it appears to be worth the price difference.  I would
> like to see more fonts.  They are coming, we hear.

Ok, I'll bite, what is Calamus.  We are really a UNIX shop but use
the Atari and Publishing Partner (the old one with well defined bugs)
to produce PostScript for inclusion in our flyers and stuff.  We have
also used it to produce some other flyers.

But, I had one version of PageStream which I sent back.  I would be
happy with old PP with the bugs fixed but that doesn't seem like what
they have planned.  So, what is Calamus?  Or, the real question for
us is, will it produce PostScript?

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (12/20/88)

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) writes:
>We got Calamus in on Monday.  It seems to be absolutely amazing.
>It's $100 more than PageStream, however.  Personally, from our
>first uses, it appears to be worth the price difference.  I would
>like to see more fonts.  They are coming, we hear.

What I have read suggests that Calamus uses vector-scaled fonts. The key
question is: Whose fonts? Real fonts, or some amateur crud? (I regard the GEM
fonts that I've seen so far as thoroughly hideous.)

How about DeskSet? I understand that it uses Compugraphic fonts (which were
crud 10 years ago, but have been greatly improved). What about speed of screen
redraws?

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (12/21/88)

(Mostly in response to Phil's question about what Calamus is...)

I've got some info on Calamus, but it's at the store, not here.  I'll
upload it tonight (tying string around my finger) for folks.

In a nutshell, Calamus is a German DTP program, done by Ditek and
marketed by ISD.  (Note:  ISD is keeping a keen eye on illegal
copies, and has made no bones about dropping marketing if a lot of
unauthorized copies start floating around.  PLEASE don't.  It's too
good to screw it up for the rest of us.)  It involved 3 years of
programming by 14 programmers, and is pretty darn solid.  It has
crashed, but only when Ralph has kept on beating it after it captured
an error.  (It captures its own...)  It's icon based, and does nifty
things like rotations.  The extended version will have approximately
100 fonts available, and will be fairly modular.  If I remember right
from the article, the coming modules WILL do Postscript, but as I said,
I will have to u/l it.  The first part, now available from a dealer near
you, lists at $299.95.  I think it will blow PageMaker (and PageStream,
which we, too, returned) out of the water.

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly) (12/21/88)

Steve (Hi Steve!!)...

I believe the article I read said the fonts will be Linotype.

Not too terribly shabby... :-)

I think they're really going all out on this one.