[comp.sys.atari.st] Strange TOS Problems

parsons@engr.uky.edu (Greg Parsons) (12/25/88)

Hello,

 I have a question for you, has anyone else had the problem that there
can only be 112 files on a disk ? yes 188288 bytes in 112 files. that
is not a full disk by a long run... but what i need to know is there a
way to get around this? i have tryed to make folders... no dice...

                        oh well,
                            Greg

--
He's Where ?  Oh thats what i thought you said.
lost in space.. and the net too!!        now where did i put that?

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (12/26/88)

In article <2759@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> parsons@engr.uky.edu (Greg Parsons) writes:
>Hello,
>
> I have a question for you, has anyone else had the problem that there
>can only be 112 files on a disk ? yes 188288 bytes in 112 files. that
>is not a full disk by a long run... but what i need to know is there a
>way to get around this? i have tryed to make folders... no dice...
>
>                        oh well,
>                            Greg

the root directory IS limited to how many files/subdirectories you can place
in it. if you check the boot sector of your disk, word at location $11 contains
the number of possible directory entries, at least according to the Abacus book
"ST Disk Drives: Inside and Out". it doesn't say if this number is for the
root directory, or for the entire disk. If you need more entries, try creating
a new boot sector (using xbios function 18 - Protobt), and formatting the
disk yourself. i haven't done this myself, so this may all be wrong  :-)

but i *think* there is no limit to how many files you place in a
subdirectory.

--
Ignac A. Kolenko          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac
"I could sit through any insurance seminar, for days on end, and people would

In article <2759@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> parsons@engr.uky.edu (Greg Parsons) writes:
>Hello,
>
> I have a question for you, has anyone else had the problem that there
>can only be 112 files on a disk ? yes 188288 bytes in 112 files. that
>is not a full disk by a long run... but what i need to know is there a
>way to get around this? i have tryed to make folders... no dice...

There is only a 112 file limit on the root directory of a floppy disk.
If you create subdirectories (folders) they can dynamically increase
to accomodate any number of files. You must remember though, that any
folder you create at the root level needs one of those 112 slots, so
if you aleady have 112 files on the disk you must move or delete one
of them before you can create and use a subfolder.

As a general rule, I never create plain files in the root directory of
any disk, only folders. With hard disks, the size of the root directory
can be larger than 112 file slots, but it's still a fixed limit, and I
prefer not to have to worry about it. (Kind of a hassle that desk
accessories must go into the root directory of the boot disk. Really
wreaks havoc on my disk organization... And some of my applications
refuse to run if I use ACC.PRG in my AUTO folder. Weird stuff. And of
course, even with ACC.PRG, the silly accessories try to find their
resource files in the root directory as well. What a pain...)
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

ftw@masscomp.UUCP (Farrell Woods) (12/30/88)

In article <2759@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> parsons@engr.uky.edu (Greg Parsons) writes:
>Hello,
>
> I have a question for you, has anyone else had the problem that there
>can only be 112 files on a disk ? yes 188288 bytes in 112 files. that
>is not a full disk by a long run... but what i need to know is there a
>way to get around this? i have tryed to make folders... no dice...
>
>                        oh well,
>                            Greg

Disk?  Maybe you mean "diskette" as in floppy.  It also sounds as though
you've stuck all 112 files in your root directory.  The answer is that you
can have only 112 files in the root directory of a floppy, but you may have
as many files as you can fit on the diskette if they live in one or more
subdirectories.  This is true for MS-DOS as well as TOS, since they share
the same filesystem.

The number of root directory entries will vary with the format of the
disk.  The maximum number of root directory entries can be found
by looking at the word beginning at byte 17 of sector zero on your disk.
Note that this word will be in the "little-endian" format.

--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice: (508) 692-6200 x2471
MASSCOMP Operating Systems Group		Internet: ftw@masscomp.com