[comp.sys.atari.st] pc7 anonymous ftp?

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (01/01/89)

In <2227@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kibo@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu (James Parry) writes:
>In <909@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> cs110@handel.ColoState.EDU writes:
>>In a message about a month ago a user posted that the clio system (since
>>changed to MAN1 I belive) had an anonymous ftp login that could be used
>>to download from their atari database.  I used this once or twice after seeing
>>the message, but the login has since disappeared.  Does anybody know what
>>became of it?  They had a massive amount of Atari files that I would like
>>to use again.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Same here.  I haven't been able to get through to clio, him1 (35.1.1.43),
>or euterpe ((35.195.16.2) lately.  Clio and HIM1 won't let me login...

OK, the first item of business is that the pc7 and clio archives are separate
and exist on separate machine half way across the nation from each other.
There no longer is an archive at clio.

The second item of business is that him1 (pc7 archive site) probably still
accepts logins.  The problem appears to be worse because the machine I reach
at ftp 35.1.1.43 is um.cc.umich.edu.  A quick look at a local hosts file
indicates that um.cc.umich.edu is another hosts in the same domain which should
have the address 35.1.1.81.  Furthermore, ftp 35.1.1.81 gets me to yet another
host (umix.cc.umich.edu).  So, either the umich.edu domain has been scrambled
or part of the connection between here and there has been scrambled.

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
Q: What do you have when you have a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand?
A: Not enough sand.

In article <5560@boulder.Colorado.EDU> walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) writes:
>OK, the first item of business is that the pc7 and clio archives are separate
>and exist on separate machine half way across the nation from each other.
>There no longer is an archive at clio.

Sorry to disagree... You *are* correct that there no longer is an archive site
at clio. The two archives were on separate machines, but they are separated by
about two miles, not half a continent. I am system/network administrator of
the network clio resides on, and a systems programmer/mail guru for the machine
the PC7 archives are stored on.

>The second item of business is that him1 (pc7 archive site) probably still
>accepts logins.  The problem appears to be worse because the machine I reach
>at ftp 35.1.1.43 is um.cc.umich.edu.  A quick look at a local hosts file
>indicates that um.cc.umich.edu is another hosts in the same domain which should
>have the address 35.1.1.81.  Furthermore, ftp 35.1.1.81 gets me to yet another
>host (umix.cc.umich.edu).  So, either the umich.edu domain has been scrambled
>or part of the connection between here and there has been scrambled.

There is a mixup, yes, but it shouldn't affect FTP users. If you want all the
gory details, keep reading. Otherwise, just hit 'n', safe in the knowledge
that the PC7 archive is accessible at him1.cc.umich.edu...

Here's the scoop: him1.cc.umich.edu is a network interface for an IBM 3090,
running MTS (the Michigan Terminal System). The particular host him1 talks to
is um.cc.umich.edu, also known as umichum.bitnet, or by local users, just "UM"
(as opposed to "UB," another MTS host in another partition of the 3090). MTS
really doesn't support TCP/IP very well, so it relies on front ends like the
HIM (Host Interface Machine, a PDP-11/70 with custom software & hardware) to
talk on the networks for it. The HIM is a relatively new machine; the TCP/FTP
service on MTS has only been usable for a few months.

The MTS hosts are used by literally thousands of people, for quite a large
variety of applications. Probably the most significant being electronic mail.
Of course, since MTS doesn't deal with TCP/IP very well, it can't deal with
Internet SMTP mail either. So, a long time ago, (two years, at least) our
resident Unix expert kludged up a way for a Vax running BSD 4.3 Unix to "mooch"
for the MTS host. That is, the vax answers any incoming connections headed to
um and ub.cc.umich.edu. While the primary reason was to intercept SMTPs, it
catches everything, which means incoming telnets, ftps, etc... (This was in
the days before everyone ran mailers that used name servers, i.e., before the
age of the MX record...) But, none of this is relevant to accessing the PC7
archives.

So - the PC7 archives physically reside on the um.cc.umich.edu machine, but
must be accessed through its internet network interface, at him1.cc.umich.edu.
Perhaps sometime in the future, when this HIM stuff evolves past the
experimental stage, the um.cc.umich.edu address will point to the correct
machine. But for now, it doesn't, and that's about it.

Are you sorry you asked?  }-)

--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu