[comp.sys.atari.st] Software that Spectra 128 will not run

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (12/16/88)

Does anyone know if Spectra (or is it spectrum) 128 will run Hypercard?
And speaking of this, could some kind soul please post a list of
software that the program will not run.  I am sure there are many
Atarians out there who would like to know this, and I am one of them!

Thanks in advance

  * *  *  *** *** * *   * * *** *   *** **   *  * *  **
  *** *** *** ***  *    *** * * *    *  * * ***  *   *
  * * * * *   *    *    * * *** *** *** **  * *  *  **

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

rjung@sal47.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (12/16/88)

In article <881215234741.494601@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>Does anyone know if Spectra (or is it spectrum) 128 will run Hypercard?
>And speaking of this, could some kind soul please post a list of
>software that the program will not run.  I am sure there are many
>Atarians out there who would like to know this, and I am one of them!

  Spectre 128 does run Hype-card -- I saw it myself, and so did 1000+ rabid
Atari fanatics in September.

  Emulating the 128K ROMs in the Mac is the whole reason for creating Spectre
128 in the first place. As such, any Mac program that runs under the 128K ROMs
(and that's 99.8% of them  B-) will run under the Spectre.

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (12/17/88)

What I'm interested in is a new equivalent to the Translator One, since I
can't stand the concept of working with Magic format disks.  The Translator
was pretty slow, but considering the speedup that the SPectre supposedly has,
it seems reasonable to assume that such a beast could be done by David Small,
Wizard at Large.  I also would prefer to avoid Data Pacific after the various
complaints I've heard about their business practices.  So what's the deal? Is
it really possible to get a Spectre with 128K ROMS and some sort of
translator to read Mac disks, and if so, how expensive is such a combo?  And
can it be obtained through mail order since there isn't an Atari dealer within
a couple hundred miles of Ithaca any more?  (Except maybe in Syracuse, where
I never go because mail order is easier).

Thanks for any information!

Adam

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (12/18/88)

I know for a fact that HyperCard *does* work with Spectre.  There is
a full list of what works and what has problems in the Gadgets by
Small base on GEnie - if I remember I'll scan through the listings
and post here.

Pete

p.s. The list of what doesn't work is much shorter than what does <grin>
     And most of the problems are traced to using differnet combos of
     System/Finder.  Also, any program that doesn't work Dave Small
     gets to work and fixes ASAP.  Spectre started with 1.51 software
     and its already up to 1.75!  And upgrades are mailed free.

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (12/20/88)

in article <881215234741.494601@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM>, Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM says:
> Does anyone know if Spectra (or is it spectrum) 128 will run Hypercard?
> And speaking of this, could some kind soul please post a list of
> software that the program will not run.  I am sure there are many
> Atarians out there who would like to know this, and I am one of them!

	The Spectre 128 will run Hypercard just fine.

	I don't think Dave has a current list of what doesn't run on the
Spectre 128.  (Considering the number of Mac programs it's almost
impossible to generate the list.  No one has all the programs to test.)
A short list is: no midi software, no music software (sound isn't
supported yet), anything that requires AppleTalk will fail, a most copy
protected programs won't run.

	If you are interested in specific programs you should ask
Dave Small.  He has an account on Genie and Compuserve.  He can also be
reached at hplabs!well!dsmall or boulder.Colorado.EDU!tcr!gadgets!dsmall.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM
					or
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (12/21/88)

Dave Small is currently feverishly working on Spectre GCR.  This is
a hardware/software package that will allow *direct* read/writes
of Mac disks ala Translator only much faster and much more reliably.
Dave says the hardware is finished and he is currently putting the
software together, then all it needs is FCC approval (unlike the
Translator which was marketed without - one reason why Data Pacific
doesn't make it anymore :-]) - estimated release date is April/May 89
and a price of under $250 (!!!) is rumored for the whole thing!

Pete

p.s.  Just to clarify, GCR is Spectre 128 only upgraded and with the
      hardware necessary to do the read/writes.  Dave promises a
      liberal trade-in for curreny buyers of 128 towards GCR.

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (01/02/89)

In article <12764@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
|Dave Small is currently feverishly working on Spectre GCR.  This is
|a hardware/software package that will allow *direct* read/writes
|of Mac disks ala Translator only much faster and much more reliably.
|Dave says the hardware is finished and he is currently putting the
|software together, then all it needs is FCC approval (unlike the
|Translator which was marketed without - one reason why Data Pacific
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|doesn't make it anymore :-]) - estimated release date is April/May 89
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it really true? I have received the last Data Pacific newsletter and
the translator one is mentionned. And they have confirmed its availability,
by a personnal letter (4 weeks).
By the way, no reseller can obtain one here in France, so....

    ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| IRISA - INRIA                |  EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr                    |
| Campus de Beaulieu           |  					      |
| F-35042 Rennes Cedex         |  UUCP  : {uunet,mcvax,inria}!irisa!decouty   |
| FRANCE                       |          decouty@irisa.UUCP                  |
+--------------------------+---+--------------------+-------------------------+
| PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00 | TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA | FAX  : +33  99 38 38 32 |
+--------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------+

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (01/05/89)

in article <912@irisa.UUCP>, decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) says:
> In article <12764@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> |software together, then all it needs is FCC approval (unlike the
> |Translator which was marketed without - one reason why Data Pacific
> 					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |doesn't make it anymore :-]) - estimated release date is April/May 89
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is it really true? I have received the last Data Pacific newsletter and
> the translator one is mentionned. And they have confirmed its availability,
> by a personnal letter (4 weeks).
> By the way, no reseller can obtain one here in France, so....

	Data Pacific was selling the Translator One without a valid FCC
id number.  The FCC made them stop production until they had a valid ID.
Data Pacific now has a valid FCC id and will probably resume sales of
the Translator One in the near future.

	Data Pacific has a history of problems selling product in
Europe.  Part of this was due to a bad choice for their distributor,
part is due to lack of interest in selling there.  I don't know if they
plan to resume shipments outside the US or not.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM