[comp.sys.atari.st] Him1 archives....

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (12/14/88)

I tried to check out what was on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) and I was
not able to list the files on the machine.  I am on a unix machine.  Is
there some special command to send to him1 to get a listing?

Jules....
--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

In article <1370@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:
>I tried to check out what was on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) and I was
>not able to list the files on the machine.  I am on a unix machine.  Is
>there some special command to send to him1 to get a listing?

There's nothing in the default directory. Issue the command
	cd PC7:

to get to the Atari archives.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (12/15/88)

---
In article <1370@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:
=
=I tried to check out what was on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) and I was
=not able to list the files on the machine.  I am on a unix machine.  Is
=there some special command to send to him1 to get a listing?
=
=Jules....
=--

having tried the very same thing yesterday (12/13), i figured it out:

1) all the files are arc format, some arc521b, some older arc

2) it is not a full implimentation of ftp as far as i can tell (i.e. mget
   does not _SEEM_ to work)

3) you MUST be in ascii type to do ls and MUST be in binary type to
   get/put

4) "ls" is similar to ls under unix, i.e. it lists files but the wild card
   is "?" NOT "*" ( try "ls ?"  for list of all files, "ls A?" for all files
   starting in "A", etc.)

5) as far as i can tell, him1 ftp is case insensitive but your host ftp
   will store the files upper case if u ask for them that way.

i wish howard would have mentioned these simple things in his earlier
posting...irregardless, it is an excellent source for material (especially
now that i am at a company with ftp access :^).

-bill
...!rutgers!umn-cs!hall!boston!rosenkra

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (12/15/88)

In article <1370@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:

>I tried to check out what was on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) and I was
>not able to list the files on the machine.  I am on a unix machine.  Is
>there some special command to send to him1 to get a listing?

Try using 'dir' instead of 'ls'.  If that doesn't work, try it again.
Also, set binary mode only before you transfer a binary file.  EBCDIC doesn't
look so great on an ASCII terminal.  (IBM bashing reserved for future occasion)

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder|| printf("Say please:] \n");
              walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu=======|| if (say_please(user))
{ncar,nbires,sunybcs}!boulder!tramp!walkerb====||     be_nice(random());

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (01/05/89)

    I'd like to thank everyone for flooding the net with their ftp problems
the week I had finals and during vacation. The only time out of the whole
year that I don't follow the net... Anyway, I was going to respond to
everyone individually, but I think I'll do it this way...

                         Presenting....

                    Jon Brode's Him1 Cookbook

    The PC7 archive is stored on an IBM 3090-600e mainframe. It uses an
ugly, awful, old operating system called MTS. It doesn't like talking to
un*x machines and such, as a matter of fact it couldn't until our systems
group installed the HIM, the host interface machine. We have two of them,
but only the first one is available for anonymous ftp. This ugly little
kludge has been just recently installed, thus it is still buggy. If you
have trouble connecting or trouble with dropped connections, that's the
problem. When that happens, try again later when the HIM is in a better mood.

    We used to run this archive on Clio and Euterpe. They are Suns and
were nice machines to ftp to. Unfortunately, there were some problems
with using those machines, so we had to move to the 3090.

    You can only access PC7 (the name of the archive) if you have ftp. We'd
like to set up mail access, but we're having some problems with that. Anyway,
if you have ftp, type 'ftp him1.cc.umich.edu' or 'ftp 35.1.1.43', some
systems prefer one over the other, but they both get you to the same place.
Once you are connected, our system will prompt you for a name. Type
'anonymous'. Then you will be prompted for a password. Type whatever you
want, it's not picky. Then you will be given a nice 'ftp>' prompt.
Congratulations! You have just entered the realm of MTS.

     That will put you in the directory of the FTP account. There's nothing
there, you will have to change to the PC7 directory. Type 'cd pc7:'. That
will put you in our directory. Actually, directory is a misleading term
because MTS doesn't have a hierarchical filing system, thus all of our files
are clumped together into one huge mass. We don't like it either, but there's
nothing we can do about it. If you want to see all of the files that we have,
type 'ls ?'. Note: MTS uses a ? as a wildcard, not a *. This will flood
your screen with filenames. To get a more manageable listing, use a prefix
with the wildcard characters. For example, 'ls disk?' lists all of the
filenames that start off with the letters 'disk'.

     Unfortunately, our mainframe limits us to 12 character filenames, which
means that they aren't all that descriptive, but luckily allows us to name
them with ST compatible names. If you want to find out what the files are,
you could read the '!index' file. The only problem is that it is pitifully
out of date, but this should be remedied over Winter Solstice vacation. Until
then, you'll just have to try to get along with the file names. Incidentally,
this file is not binary, do not try to transfer it as such.

     And now, the fun part, how to get our files down to your local system.
After you've 'cd'ed to PC7, and found the file you want to get, type
'binary'. This will let you transfer the arc files properly. You *must*
set binary when you ftp arc files. To get the file you want, type
'get filename', where filename is the name of the file you want. Then you
can sit back and wait for the transfer to complete. There is a command
called 'mget' to let you get multiple files. Remember when you use it that
the MTS wildcard is ?, not *. Some ftp implementations have a 'hash'
command that lets you know how much has transfered. Other ftp implementations
have a 'bell' command that beeps at you when your transfer is complete.

     Now comes the tough part, transfering the file to your ST. There are
many, many ways to do this. The most popular seems to be kermit, so I'll
describe how to use Uniterm's kermit. Ask you local sysadmin how to run
kermit. Then, make sure that you have parity and stop bits set properly
on both sides. If they aren't, you'll get bad CHK's and other nasty errors.
After that, type 'set file type binary'. (On VMS systems, you have to
set file type fixed, instead of binary) Then type 'send filename', and
things should be set on that side. From Uniterm, hit Alt-T and click the
box that says binary. Then click the box that says 'receive' and supply
the fsel box with a filename. From there you can sit back and relax again.

     Once you have the file on your ST, you have to unarc it. Most of
the files on PC7 were arced with the old version of arc, but a lot of
the newer stuff is done with the new version. To unarc the old stuff,
use dcopy, to unarc the new stuff use arc 5.21b. Arc 5.21b will unarc
the old stuff too, but dcopy is *much* faster.

     That just about wraps it up, folks. If you have anymore problems,
send me some e-mail. If you want to say hello, send me some e-mail. If
you want to compliment the fine job (IMHO) that I'm doing, send me some
e-mail. If you want to flame me or complain, I'll give your name to my
father, the IRS auditor. :-)

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu
 Moderator of PC7, Atari-God :-)