[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems de-arcing NULLFILL.ARC

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (12/23/88)

In article <8812210153.AA26758@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> U46050@UICVM.BITNET (JOHN ZAFIRIS) writes:
|I have received some requests for the source code for NULLFILL and
|suspect that there is enough residual interest for it that I have sent
|an .ARC of it and the executable.  I don't know which file servers most
|on the 'net have access to and since the UUE for this ARC is not too
|long (137 lines) it is appended to this note.
|                                                               ...John
   [uuencoded file removed...]

I tried to uudecode and de-arc this stuff, but arc.ttp complains (I'm
using version 5.21):

$ arc.ttp x nullfill.arc
Extracting file: NULLFILL.PRG
Corrupted compressed file.
Invalid code 535 when max is 533.
WARNING: File NULLFILL.PRG fails CRC check
An entry in NULLFILL.ARC has a bad header.   97 bytes skipped.
Extracting file: NULLFILL.SRC
Corrupted compressed file.
Invalid code 2541 when max is 2151.
WARNING: File NULLFILL.SRC fails CRC check
An entry in NULLFILL.ARC has a bad header.   1292 bytes skipped.
Extracting file: NULLFILL.TXT
Corrupted compressed file.
Invalid code 1512 when max is 1060.
WARNING: File NULLFILL.TXT fails CRC check
An entry in NULLFILL.ARC has a bad header.   586 bytes skipped.
$

An older version of arc.ttp (5.12) also reveals errors. Am I the only
one having these problems?
                          Leo.

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (01/05/89)

In article <899@philmds.UUCP> I wrote:
|   [uuencoded file removed...]
|
|I tried to uudecode and de-arc this stuff, but arc.ttp complains (I'm
|using version 5.21):

	 [etc...]

Thanks to Dennis Pixton I found the cause of the problem:
The preceding table used tildes for carets (~ instead of ^). Since
neither the Unix uudecode nor my own ST hack of uudecode knows about
translation tables, the resulting arc file was corrupt. Replacing ~ by ^
and again uudecoding solved this. Hmm, my uu[de|en]code needs revising...

B.T.W. anyone knows of a standard Unix uu[de|en]code (not the Dumas
program) that knows about tables? Ultrix's doesn't.

	  Leo.

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/05/89)

In article <899@philmds.UUCP>, leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:

> I tried to uudecode and de-arc this stuff, but arc.ttp complains (I'm
> using version 5.21):
>
> An older version of arc.ttp (5.12) also reveals errors. Am I the only
> one having these problems?

Maybe!  Both arc.ttp (5.21b) and Unix arc sucessfully tested and
extracted NULLFILE.ARC for me!  Lucky me, I guess!  On the other hand,
the uuencoded SEL_PROG.ARC that was posted, I was unable to uudecode
(Dumas: ST or Unix) or de-arc it.  Win a few, lose a few.  :-)

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

In article <907@philmds.UUCP> leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
>B.T.W. anyone knows of a standard Unix uu[de|en]code (not the Dumas
>program) that knows about tables? Ultrix's doesn't.

The prepended translate table seems to have been Dumas' creation, though
I'm not too sure about that. (I've seen one other non-Dumas version that
generated those tables.) But why not just use Dumas' code? I installed it
on our Suns. I like the auto-split and include feature, as well.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/11/89)

In article <907@philmds.UUCP>, leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
| Thanks to Dennis Pixton I found the cause of the problem:
| The preceding table used tildes for carets (~ instead of ^). Since
| neither the Unix uudecode nor my own ST hack of uudecode knows about
| translation tables, the resulting arc file was corrupt. Replacing ~ by ^
| and again uudecoding solved this. Hmm, my uu[de|en]code needs revising...
|
| B.T.W. anyone knows of a standard Unix uu[de|en]code (not the Dumas
| program) that knows about tables? Ultrix's doesn't.

That's just it, why isn't everyone using Jean-Pierre Dumas' UUD and
UUE combination.  I believe that it was his good idea to use
translation tables.  Living on BITNET can influence such behavior!  I
even have UUD running on my Sun and under Ultrix!  Now I don't know if
I'm allowed to release the Unix(tm) version or not.  If someone has
more information (or his telephone number) let me know.

--ralph