[comp.sys.atari.st] Publishing Partner/ Page Stream Updates

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/31/88)

I just called SoftLogik to see if there was a newer version of
Publishing Partner than 1.01.  The answer is 1.03, about 1 year
ago, but they didn't know if it fixed the bug I reported in February, 87.
(The bug is that a round cornered box of size 0 creates bad PostScript -
causes the PostScript interpreter to get an error.  You, of course, can't
delete this box because it has no size so you can never click on it.)

Anyway, here is the new news.  They claim that they will have a real
version of Page Stream available next Monday that works.  I groaned and
told them what was wrong with the last one.  They claim:
	* to have it debugged
	* to have a document conversion program
	* to have a font conversion program
	* to care about the bad reviews and hope to correct that

I elected to settle for the PP 1.03 release for now but, maybe, they
are starting to get their act together.  I would have abandoned them long
ago except I need PostScript output and have a bunch of existing PP
format documents.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

kibo@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu (James Parry) (01/01/89)

In article <1612@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Anyway, here is the new news.  They claim that they will have a real
>version of Page Stream available next Monday that works.  I groaned and
>told them what was wrong with the last one.  They claim:
>	* to have it debugged
>	* to have a document conversion program
>	* to have a font conversion program
>	* to care about the bad reviews and hope to correct that

The document converted from PP to PgS exists, I've used it.  It works
fairly well (I've had some documents that don't go through it, but most do.)
It can be found on GEnie (type SOFTLOGIK) or CompuServe (go AtariVen).
On CompuServe, I have also been told that the upgrade to 1.1 of PgS (about
two weeks ago) has been delayed since they'll release 1.4 instead, then
that 1.4 will not change to 1.5, etc... I think PageStream will be version
*at least* 1.5 by the time they get their first upgrade out.  (There was
also some talk of posting it to services like Genie and CIS.)

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any of the above companies (SoftLogik,
GEnie, CompuServe).

James "Kibo" Parry
userfe0n@rpitsmts (bitnet)
kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) (01/03/89)

In article <2228@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kibo@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu
(James Parry) writes: (in connection with PageStream updates and utilities)
>It can be found on GEnie (type SOFTLOGIK) or CompuServe (go AtariVen).
>On CompuServe,..............................(There was
>also some talk of posting it to services like Genie and CIS.)

Not all of us are on the commercial networks, and SoftLogik's pattern of
distributing software over them is pretty hard on foreign users.  I've
been getting mailings of what appear to be demos, which seem a real
waste of their money, but then I hear that people are getting useful
programs from Genie and CompuServe.  Does anyone have a good idea when
SoftLogik will put a WORKING version in the MAIL for those of us who
have ordered and paid for the update?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

nelson@kodak.UUCP (bruce nelson) (01/07/89)

In article <3127@dalcs.UUCP> bill@biomel.UUCP, biomel@cs.dal.CDN writes:
>Not all of us are on the commercial networks, and SoftLogik's pattern of
>distributing software over them is pretty hard on foreign users.  I've
>been getting mailings of what appear to be demos, which seem a real
>waste of their money, but then I hear that people are getting useful
>programs from Genie and CompuServe.  Does anyone have a good idea when
>SoftLogik will put a WORKING version in the MAIL for those of us who
>have ordered and paid for the update?

Ok, here's how it's gonna work (according to S-L on the phone last week) ....

IF SoftLogik decides to, they are going to post, on C-Serve and GEnie, an
encoded version of the newest release. You will need the 1.00 release of
PageStream mailed in November to decode it. This is so that some of the
users who a. Need it in a BIG hurry, and b. can't wait, and c. are users
of those services, can get a copy ASAP. But, if you don't or can't access
the uploaded version, the master disks will be released to the duplicating
company at the same time, and, as soon as they come back, they will be mailed,
to ALL registered users, whether they downloaded them or not.

The version mailed in June/July WAS a demo. Pure and simple. The version
mailed in November was a working version, although many bugs remained, and
some users claimed it, too, was a demo. The version about to be released
(I believe it will be version 1.05 and is supposed to be released on 8 Jan)
fixes those bugs, bugs you didn't even know about, and adds some features
which weren't complete in 1.00.

The disks which will be mailed soon should include all the extra fonts and
printer drivers which have been uploaded to the pay services. The fonts, by
the way, included the PostScript downloadables, too. (It's really nice to have
another 15 or 20 fonts around :-).

Bruce Nelson
President, Atari Computer Users of Rochester, NY

nelson@kodak.UUCP (bruce nelson) (01/07/89)

The following was posted on GEnie on 1/6/89 by Jack Durre', who is a
consultant for SoftLogik, and is also a SIGop on their SIG:

The upgrade ("1.5") HAS GONE TO THE DUPLICATORS, and is expected back
in the office during the first part of the week...  We will begin
mailing them to registered owners as soon after we receive them as we
possibly can...and yes, I said "mailing".

... to answer your question about bug "eradication", YES!  Deron has
eliminated all of them that were on the infamous "list", plus any
others that he was aware of...To top it all off, however, he NEVER
assumes that it's "done", and will continue to add features, etc., and
to provide all of the support for which Soft-Logik has been known since
the release of "Publishing Partner".  As for _why_ you can't get it to
bomb, when others complain?...I dunno either, and this has been the
source of great frustration for all of us in the office... Sigh...this
program doesn't just hate users...it hates EVERYBODY, equally! <grin!>

Seriouly again, I would suggest to everyone that upgrade disks have
already gone out to dealers, and if you're a registered owner (in the
U.S.), you should probably receive yours within the next 10 days to 2
weeks.  I'm certain that everyone of you out there is going to be going
over the new version with a 'fine-toothed comb', looking for a single
'glitch' (call it "knee-jerk reaction"), and I would only ask that you
be _certain_ of any problems, before you take us to task...thanks.

Harry_Wallace_Waddell@cup.portal.com (01/09/89)

>In article <2228@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kibo@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu
>(James Parry) writes: (in connection with PageStream updates and utilities)
>>It can be found on GEnie (type SOFTLOGIK) or CompuServe (go AtariVen).
>>On CompuServe,..............................(There was
>>also some talk of posting it to services like Genie and CIS.)

>Not all of us are on the commercial networks, and SoftLogik's pattern of
>distributing software over them is pretty hard on foreign users.  I've
>been getting mailings of what appear to be demos, which seem a real
>waste of their money, but then I hear that people are getting useful
>programs from Genie and CompuServe.  Does anyone have a good idea when
>SoftLogik will put a WORKING version in the MAIL for those of us who
>have ordered and paid for the update?

>Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
>Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
>	UUCP: ...!{uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
>	CDN: biomel@cs.dal.CDN	BITNET: bs%dalcs@dalac.BITNET

The best information I have from a memo on Compu$erve is that the new release,
v1.5, is currently being duplicated and prepared for ditrubution to those of
us who ordered upgrades.(with current defined as 1/5/89). Now its one of
those "checks in the mail propsitions".

The real question is, is this new version "properly" debugged to the point
where it is robust enough for real work?

					harry_wallace_waddell@cup.portal.COM

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (01/17/89)

From: dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley)

[Harry Wallace Waddell wrote in comp.sys.atari.st...]

> The best information I have from a memo on Compu$erve is that the new release,
> v1.5, is currently being duplicated and prepared for ditrubution to those of
> us who ordered upgrades.(with current defined as 1/5/89). Now its one of
> those "checks in the mail propsitions".
>
> The real question is, is this new version "properly" debugged to the point
> where it is robust enough for real work?

  I have the PageStream update, so it is at least 'real'.

  If you accept that the 'beta' version was 5% useable and the version 1.0
release was about 30% useable (as I do) then the new version (1.5) is
about 90% useable.  It still has a few kinks in it, and you have to delete
your old pagestream .INF file and recreate the configuration information
file from scratch or it will randomly flake out on you, but after you get
that out of the way it works pretty well.

  Note that I'm not saying it's perfect.  There's still lots of room for
improvement but it is =much= more like what I expected from them over a
year ago.  (They even got rid of the dot-matrix printer bug that made
version 1.0 unuseable for FX80 output...)

  They also have a font converter to take old Publishing Partner fonts and
convert them over to PageStream font format.  Again, it isn't perfect
either, but it does the job quite well on all but three of 15 fonts I have
so I guess I'd say it does the job.

  Other questions?

--
PS: Note that my Reply-To address gets munged by the gateway I'm currently
using for news access so you can't just <r>eply to this article and have

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems