[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari-bashing

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/22/88)

A.J. Yarusso writes:
>Most people who criticize Atari's don't have an Atari and are VERY
>biased...  oh well, such is life.

I've found that generally people who criticize Atari machines who DON'T
own an Atari machine are generally mis-informed, ill-informed, or just
plain ignorant of the capabilities of the machines.  Many times they just
can't believe that a "game machine" can be capable of much more than playing
"Pac-Man".  When shown the true capabilities, many times they are quick to
show an interest, especially when they find out just how inexpensive that
kind of power can be.  The problem comes when they don't want to be bothered
learning what an Atari computer can do.  A lot of times, they'll say that
if it was any good, they would have heard about it before... and there's
the true problem...   the manufacturer of what is arguably the BEST value
in low cost computers does NOT, for whatever reason, tell the world about
their machines.  It falls to "evangalists" to spread the word, and it's
an uphill battle..

Among people who DO own Atari computers, you'll ALMOST NEVER hear them
criticize the MACHINE itself...

BobR

stephen@plx.UUCP (Stephen Heath ) (12/23/88)

In article <12835@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> A.J. Yarusso writes:
> Among people who DO own Atari computers, you'll ALMOST NEVER hear them
> criticize the MACHINE itself...
>
> BobR

I agree.  I DO own an Atari and IT did do most of the things I wanted
it to do.  I DID DO a lot of shopping before I bought it 2.5 years ago.

But the promised additions to it and the sometimes BETTER THAN THOU
SOAP BOX STYLE of the people at Atari and those who represent them on
this net has ended this evangelist's support.

I've owned Atari for 6 years and I doubt that I'll ever buy another one
and will influence my associates to not buy one either!

I'm tired of being the VERY LAST ONE, yes the VERY LAST ONE as a consumer
to whom atari lends an ear and tries to satify.

They are interested in if I'm satified only and only if it affects their
bottom line to any major amount.  And if it doesn't affect their bottom
line they couldn't care less.

SCH

An X-evangelist and letting everyone know about it X-customer!

stephen@plx.UUCP
sun!plx!stephen

Apply Standard Disclaimer.  As in I'm responsible for this and not
the company I work for!!

( Atari needs this or they threaten to sue your company!!!!! )

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (12/27/88)

In article <12835@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> A.J. Yarusso writes:
> >Most people who criticize Atari's don't have an Atari and are VERY
> >biased...  oh well, such is life.

Well, I own two Atari 800s and an Amiga 1000. I have had an Atari 520ST and
an MS-DOS machine (Tandy 1000HD). By that logic I should be unbiased and have
an evenly balanced viewpoint. I don't.  My opinion of the Atari ST, due to
my experience with mine, is that it is a poorly-thought-out hack, and the
spiritual descendant of the Commodore-64.

It's worse than teh C=64, because much of that machines limitations are the
result of when and how it was produced. When the ST came out, there were at
least two decent operating systems for the 68000 available: OS/9 and Tripos.
Why they went with Gem-DOS I have no idea.

Programming on the ST is exactly like programming on the IBM-PC, except that
there are fewer tools available, and more bugs to work around. After a couple
of months of struggling the ST went into storage and I financed an Amiga.

> the true problem...   the manufacturer of what is arguably the BEST value
> in low cost computers does NOT, for whatever reason, tell the world about
> their machines.  It falls to "evangalists" to spread the word, and it's
> an uphill battle..

That's true. Commodore has done a lousy job of advertising the Amiga. How nice
of you to notice. (Yes, I know he's talking about the ST. I don't know why...
Atari has done a very good job advertising the ST, with much more frequent
and affective advertisements than Commodore)

> Among people who DO own Atari computers, you'll ALMOST NEVER hear them
> criticize the MACHINE itself...

Well, you've heard it now. The hardware is unexceptional, and the operating
system (if you can call it that) is only exceptional in its intellectual
poverty. If it had been well designed in the first place, people wouldn't
need to make the sorts of hacks that Allan Pratt so despises.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net

jeff@stormy.atmos.washington.edu (Jeff L. Bowden) (12/28/88)

Peter da Silva (peter@sugar.uu.net) writes:
>Well, I own two Atari 800s and an Amiga 1000. I have had an Atari 520ST and
>an MS-DOS machine (Tandy 1000HD).

I own an 800 and a 520.  I've programmed both machines extensively as well as
machines from IBM (RT, PC), Apple (//e, Mac), DEC (VAX/VMS, Ultrix), Sun
(SunOS/X11) and various others.

>                                   By that logic I should be unbiased and have
>an evenly balanced viewpoint. I don't.  My opinion of the Atari ST, due to
>my experience with mine, is that it is a poorly-thought-out hack, and the
>spiritual descendant of the Commodore-64.

I think your statement is probably false.  I totally agree with your
assessment of the ST so I think that your viewpoint is evenly balanced and
unbiased.  "Fair" does not mean "without opinion."

My 800 is a very useful game machine, a gem for its time.  My 520ST is a
terminal emulator/file storage device.  To be fair, if I owned an IBM PC it
would probably serve the same purpose.

Actually to be really fair that's probably about the only thing I'd use
anything for unless it ran some form of Berkeley Unix. :-)  (Well, maybe
I'd use an Amiga for a frame buffer :-) :-) )

Go ahead and flame me, this subject is now in my kill file (electronic
asbestos).

mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM (01/01/89)

> It's worse than teh C=64, because much of that machines limitations are the
> result of when and how it was produced. When the ST came out, there were at
> least two decent operating systems for the 68000 available: OS/9 and Tripos.
> Why they went with Gem-DOS I have no idea.

Either you never owned a C-64 or have a very short memory. The C-64 is no
comparison to the ST. If anything it has a tough time being considered the
equal to the Atari 8bit line.

> Programming on the ST is exactly like programming on the IBM-PC, except that
> there are fewer tools available, and more bugs to work around. After a couple
> of months of struggling the ST went into storage and I financed an Amiga.

I can only guess that you do not have any good software stores avaiable to you
that sell ST software. I find lots of programming utilities available for the
ST. Far more than I can find for my Amiga. My main source for utilities for the
Amiga is thru mail order and not local software houses.

As far as comparing the two machines op sys, I find GEM totally superior to
Workbench. It is much more friendly and easier to work with. As far as CLI
is concerned, I find third party ST stuff far better than either Amiga 1.2 or
1.3. I also get far more Amiga GURU's tha ST bombs. There is no way ever I would
mothball my ST, I am too happy with it and feel very comfortable using it.

					Matt Hetman

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/05/89)

I claimed that the Atari ST was worse than the C=64, because with benefit
of more experience and they (The Tramiel Bunch, now called Atari) still went
with a unique proprietary O/S (GEMdos, from Digital Research).

In article <428@ho7cad.ATT.COM>, mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM writes:
> Either you never owned a C-64 or have a very short memory. The C-64 is no
> comparison to the ST. If anything it has a tough time being considered the
> equal to the Atari 8bit line.

This is true, and I'll give you the Apple-II as well. But then this is also
true of the Atari ST. The Jay Miner Bunch (Amiga) are still ahead of the
Tramiell Bunch, and the Bad Apples (Apple) have less desirable hardware but
make up for it in other areas.

Now, I continue with:
> > Programming on the ST is exactly like programming on the IBM-PC, except that
> > there are fewer tools available, and more bugs to work around. After a couple
> > of months of struggling the ST went into storage and I financed an Amiga.

> I can only guess that you do not have any good software stores avaiable to you
> that sell ST software.

I don't know. Is the Floppy Wizard in Houston good? They seem to have plenty
of titles. The ones I saw and tried out were almost all toys. Dave Beckmeyer's
shell was the one exception.

> I find lots of programming utilities available for the ST.

As many as on the IBM-PC? (go back and read what I said, above). If you want
to compare the Amiga to the ST, can you run PM while debugging a multitasking
MIDI utility or a well-behaved videogame? Where's the source code debuggers?
How about REXX? Or the midi.library? You couldn't *write* a program like the
midi library on the ST. On the Amiga it's shareware.

> Far more than I can find for my Amiga.

What do you need? I'll be happy to help you find some. I find Fred Fish
supplies most of my needs, though. Most of my software budget, such as it
is, has gone to Manx.

> My main source for utilities for the
> Amiga is thru mail order and not local software houses.

I don't buy anything but games from local software houses, even when they have
the products I want. Simple economics, coupled with the fact that I know more
about the product than they do... on any machine.

> As far as comparing the two machines op sys, I find GEM totally superior to
> Workbench. It is much more friendly and easier to work with.

That's why I wrote Browser.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/05/89)

Oh yes, let's get some terms straight.

In article <428@ho7cad.ATT.COM>, mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM writes:
> As far as comparing the two machines op sys, I find GEM totally superior to
> Workbench....

Neither the GEM desktop on the ST nor the Workbench on the Amiga have anything
to do with the operating system:

		Amiga		ST		Mac		IBM

User		Workbench	GEM Desktop	Finder		COMMAND.COM
interface	or
(shell)		CLI

User		Intuition	GEM		Toolbox		none
interface
(library)

File system	AmigaDOS	CP/M-68K	MacOS		MS-DOS

Operating	Amiga EXEC	none		none		none
system
(kernel)

Library		Amiga EXEC	none		Resource	none
manager						manager

Operating	Libraries	D/As		D/As		TSRs
system		Drivers				Resources
extensions	Handlers

Multitasking	Inherent	Third party,	Multifinder	Windows
				partial.	Switcher	Third party,
								partial.
--

In article <3216@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Oh yes, let's get some terms straight.
>
>		Amiga		ST		Mac		IBM
>
>User		Workbench	GEM Desktop	Finder		COMMAND.COM
>interface	or
>(shell)		CLI

Fair enough, though you don't list "third party" here for the ST. Gulam is
very powerful, and there's also the CRAFT programming environment.

>User		Intuition	GEM		Toolbox		none
>interface
>(library)
>
>File system	AmigaDOS	CP/M-68K	MacOS		MS-DOS

Actually, I'd say the ST filesystem looks identical to MS-DOS. I suppose
we can let that slide, since MS-DOS evolved from CP/M anyway...

>Operating	Amiga EXEC	none		none		none
>system
>(kernel)

You're being somewhat of a bigot here. An operating system manages system
resources on behalf of a user, as a most basic definition. Since all of these
machines have, at the very least, code to allocate memory, control access to
physical devices, etc., then by definition they do have operating systems,
however limited or primitive. The ST has somewhat more comprehensive a system
than either the Mac or PC, since it also utilizes memory protection and tries
to maintain a distinction between user and supervisor mode. I don't know enough
about the Amiga to compare, though it obviously must also support these features
or else the much-crowed-about inherent multitasking would be a crock.

>Library		Amiga EXEC	none		Resource	none
>manager						manager

Please define library manager. I've seen the Mac resource manager. It's an
interesting idea, but intolerably slow. I suppose it corresponds to the Apollo
library manager, or MACH's shared libraries. Dynamic linking is definitely a
nice thing. There's a "third party" PD package that implements this on the ST,
which seems to do the trick very nicely. As such, I find this "none" entry for
the ST to also be incorrect.

>Operating	Libraries	D/As		D/As		TSRs
>system		Drivers				Resources
>extensions	Handlers

You fail to mention MSDOS device drivers. Shame shame shame. TOS also allows
for TSRs, which is basically what device drivers are. Just because the folks
at Atari aren't pointing things out to your attention doesn't mean they don't
exist. In this case, I think your own words are somewhat appropriate -
"programming an ST is like programming a PC." The same techniques, or ideas at
least, apply. I suppose, before going much further, you should also define
your terms some more - what do you mean by "libraries, drivers, and handlers"?
I'm assuming you're using terms specific to Amiga parlance, and not just the
usual meanings of "device driver," in which case I would say "driver" and
"handler" were synonymous.

>Multitasking	Inherent	Third party,	Multifinder	Windows
>				partial.	Switcher	Third party,
>								partial.

This would follow, given your assertion that the Amiga has an operating system
and none of the other machines do, since multi-tasking is a feature of an
operating system. However, your entries here would tend to conflict with the
previous entry. Too bad.

Also, the ST operating system is really more than you would lead others to
believe. It's called GEMDOS, after all, to imply that the graphics environment
aspect is really intrinsic to the system as a whole. And though the GEM desktop
is simply a user interface, the Graphics Envuironment Manager is really a part
of the operating system, and performs ("partial") multitasking management.
Inherently. I grant you that it's very limited, but it provides most of the
features one would expect from a full multi-user multitasking system, including
IPC primitives and job control.

Not to say that things are all perfect or wonderful in the ST world, but they're
certainly as crippled as you make things sound. There's a lot of delay loops in
TOS that would have to be rewritten before it could handle multitasking more
flexibly. There are lots of things I'd like it to do that it doesn't, but it's
not impossible to implement these by oneself.

Finally, much of this is only of great import to a hacker. An application user
doesn't care if GEM is the operating system or if a mouse click will generate
an asynchronous interrupt to resume a suspended task. And for programming, there
are few systems I've seen that provide a more powerful and flexible environment.
Sure, it irks me that I can't pop up Uniterm while I'm compiling something. Big
deal, it doesn't take very long to compile stuff anyway. Fast filesystems are
nice that way. That's also an interesting point you fail to summarize in your
table - the ST and PC disk I/O are probably the fastest around. I'd venture to
say the Amigas comes in next, and the Mac last, though the Mac may very well be
faster for all I know. (I *know*, for a fact that the ST disk I/O is faster than
the Amigas. Even with identical devices, like a freshly formatted Quantum 80S.)
Even my Sun 3-260 with SMD disk controller is hard pressed to deliver the same
kind of performance. (On second thought, no, it zips along pretty well too.)

Speed is something that's more commonly talked about, true? I mean, speed is
noticed by anyone, hacker or application user. And while an ST may not be
faster than an AT clone with 20MHz 80286 installed, it's easily the fastest
of the three (ST, Mac, Amiga). I suppose I could spend the bucks for an Amiga
2000 with 68020, but I'd still be stuck with a machine with slow disks... (And
when you're compiling code, it's disk speed that matters, unless you happen to
be using Turbo C or something...)

>--
>Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
>...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

Sorry for the length...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

In article <538@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> I write:
>Not to say that things are all perfect or wonderful in the ST world, but they're
>certainly as crippled as you make things sound. There's a lot of delay loops in

Just in case people get the wrong idea... Yes, I accidentally omitted the word
"not" up there... Brain got ahead of the fingers and they dropped a packet, I
guess...

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (01/07/89)

In article <3213@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Now, I continue with:
>> > Programming on the ST is exactly like programming on the IBM-PC, except that
>> > there are fewer tools available, and more bugs to work around. After a couple
>> > of months of struggling the ST went into storage and I financed an Amiga.

I don't want to start a long debate becuase this has a lot to do with personal
prefereneces, but in this case I have to stick up for the ST.

I find I like developing on the ST *much* more than ugly IBM-PC's.   The
PC is a royal pain what with it's segments and 640K limitations and DOS memory
management problems etc. etc.   The ST has the nice 68000 CPU architecture,
lot's of RAM if you want, and a pretty good bunch of UNIX(tm)-like development
tools and reasonable C compilers and debuggers.   Many of the fancy PC
debuggers I've used (e.g. CodeView) are such memory hogs that you can't
use them to debug large applications on a 640K machine.  And credit Atari
becuase I think you get more done on the ST using "legitimate" techniques
(especially BIOS/XBIOS) system calls than on the PC where you find you
have to "cheat" a lot (although the PC has a lot "legitimate" ways to "cheat",
if that makes any sense).  Not to mention all the PC C compiler bugs...
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Lester Moore - Four slugs from a .44
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  no Les, no more."

walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (01/07/89)

In article <3216@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Oh yes, let's get some terms straight.
>[...]
Please guys, don't start a flame war here.  If you have to reply to this topic
please do so directly.  Use the mail.

Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb
A person who claims that absolute zero is impossible
to obtain has not taken a quiz in thermo yet.

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/08/89)

In article <538@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
> In article <3216@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Oh yes, let's get some terms straight.
[ and then I went a bit off the deep end ]

[shells]
> Fair enough, though you don't list "third party" here for the ST. Gulam is
> very powerful, and there's also the CRAFT programming environment.

I tend not to include third party stuff. I haven't found any third-party
shells worth the hassles (incompatibilities with batch files, and stuff).
Are all ST shells batch-file compatible?

[filesystem]
> Actually, I'd say the ST filesystem looks identical to MS-DOS. I suppose
> we can let that slide, since MS-DOS evolved from CP/M anyway...

You're right. It is an MS-DOS derivitive. CP/M-68K was too slow, and rather
than tune it to make it faster they re-did it from scratch. I don't know
if that was a good idea, but it may have been the only option.

[O/S]
> You're being somewhat of a bigot here. An operating system manages system
> resources on behalf of a user, as a most basic definition.

My basic definition of an O/S is that it manages all the resources available
to the user. If it doesn't have a scheduler (i.e., doesn't manage CPU time)
it's not what I'd call an O/S. I waited 6 years for a computer with an O/S,
though I expected that it'd be running UNIX.

> The ST has somewhat more comprehensive a system
> than either the Mac or PC, since it also utilizes memory protection and tries
> to maintain a distinction between user and supervisor mode.

I used to think so, too, but according to people who've done O/S work on the
ST it doesn't have any useful memory protection for multitasking.

> I don't know enough
> about the Amiga to compare, though it obviously must also support these
> features or else the much-crowed-about inherent multitasking would be a crock.

Which features? Amiga programs run in user mode. There is no way, on a bare
68000, to protect programs from each other. Like the ST, the Amiga does
protect the operating system itself.

> Please define library manager. I've seen the Mac resource manager. It's an
> interesting idea, but intolerably slow.

OK. On the Amiga everything is handled by libraries and intertask
communication. All "os calls" are made by calling libraries and sending
messages to tasks (using the message-passing routines in exec.library).
To open a library (say, graphics.library), you call the routine in the
exec.library "OpenLibrary". It returns the base of a jump-table for that
library. Exec.library itself has a jump table with a known address. If
the library you want to use is on disk, it loads it in. When everyone using
a library finally closes it, it's marked as unused and may be purged if
its memory is needed.

> There's a "third party" PD package that implements this on the ST,
> which seems to do the trick very nicely. As such, I find this "none" entry for
> the ST to also be incorrect.

I'm sure you can find third-party PD packages for all these things... but a
developer can't depend on the user having them available... so they have to
keep on duplicating the code.

> You fail to mention MSDOS device drivers. Shame shame shame.

Sorry.

> TOS also allows for TSRs, which is basically what device drivers are.

Not really. On the Amiga a device driver is just another program... but one
that accepts and handles a certain set of packets.

> what do you mean by "libraries, drivers, and handlers"?

Libraries: see above.
Drivers: These handle physical devices, and are accessed by the dos library.
Handlers: These handle virtual devices, such as the timer or windows (each
	console window is a virtual terminal).

> This would follow, given your assertion that the Amiga has an operating system
> and none of the other machines do, since multi-tasking is a feature of an
> operating system. However, your entries here would tend to conflict with the
> previous entry. Too bad.

Yeh. Well, like I said, I kind of went off the deep end. I was just pissed
at the people who were using the term "operating system" to refer to anything
from a user interface (GEM Desktop, or the Amiga Workbench or CLI), to a file
system (MS-DOS, AmigaDOS), to a programming interface.

> Also, the ST operating system is really more than you would lead others to
> believe. It's called GEMDOS, after all, to imply that the graphics environment
> aspect is really intrinsic to the system as a whole.

This is one of the really amazing things about the ST and the Mac. They started
with what's really an incidental part of an operating system (the user
interface) and made it central to the whole machine. The amount of twisted
logic you send up with is amazing... witness the recent Mac engineer on
comp.sys.next who couldn't understand how UNIX windowing systems (and the
Amiga windowing system, for that matter) handled refresh without involving
the program.

> And though the GEM desktop
> Finally, much of this is only of great import to a hacker. An application user
> doesn't care if GEM is the operating system or if a mouse click will generate
> an asynchronous interrupt to resume a suspended task.

It does make a difference. Like the computer novice, with an Amiga, who didn't
comprehend why someone would *want* a desk acessory... "Can't you just run
your print in the background and click up something else while it's going on?"

> Speed is something that's more commonly talked about, true?

Perceived speed. People don't mind a database taking 10% longer to look
something up if you can still use the computer while it's doing it. WHen
you talk about speed, you're really talking about responsiveness. And the
Amiga is the most responsive machine I have ever used.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

Peter's comments prefaced by }
Howard's by >

In article <538@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> (Howard Chu) writes:
}
}Operating	Amiga EXEC	none		none		none
}system
}(kernel)

> You're being somewhat of a bigot here. An operating system manages system
> resources on behalf of a user, as a most basic definition. Since all of these
> machines have, at the very least, code to allocate memory, control access to
> physical devices, etc., then by definition they do have operating systems,
> however limited or primitive.

My advice is not to get going on this subject, you lose. Under an operating
system you ask for something then you use it, one PC's, Mac's and ST's you
just use it. For instance, if you want to write write track 0, sector 10
on "non-OS" machine you call the BIOS entry point with some parameters
like "Disk in Drive A, Track 0, Sector 10, Data." For the Amiga you have
to call OpenDevice() first which will arbitrate your access to the device
among other tasks, and then you send your request to the task that is managing
the disks. There is a big difference in philosophy. Like memory allocation
for instance, you don't have to bother after you know how much is available
because no one else is using it. It isn't "bad" that you don't have an OS
it just is. It is more like running one big program, parts of it are in
ROM and parts of it are in RAM, that is the Mac/ST/PC model.

}Multitasking	Inherent	Third party,	Multifinder	Windows
}				partial.	Switcher	Third party,
}								partial.

>This would follow, given your assertion that the Amiga has an operating system
>and none of the other machines do, since multi-tasking is a feature of an
>operating system. However, your entries here would tend to conflict with the
>previous entry. Too bad.

They don't conflict, you just aren't familiar with the terms. Devices and
Handlers are separate tasks, each piece of hardware has a device driver
associated with it handlers provide the access method. A filesystem is a
handler, trackdisk is the floppy disk driver. So in your parlance GemDOS
is like the handler and BIOS is like the device driver. The difference
being that these are just tasks on the Amiga, currently there are two
Handlers for filesystems, the original one and a newer one that hasn't
been moved to ROM yet.

> Sure, it irks me that I can't pop up Uniterm while I'm compiling
> something. Big deal, it doesn't take very long to compile stuff anyway.
> Fast filesystems are nice that way. That's also an interesting point
> you fail to summarize in your table - the ST and PC disk I/O are
> probably the fastest around.

And this is where is all breaks down. That second sentence is called a
rationalization. When I program I often start up a paint program to design
icons, start other compiles, and pass data back and forth between my compiler
envrionment and editing environment. Multitasking is a lever that is quite
powerful, if it weren't Bill Gates and John Scully wouldn't be trying so
damned hard to get it on their systems no? Finally, if you get a chance
try the Amiga Fastfilesystem on a Quantum 80S. Try on a freshly formatted
one and one that is 80% full. We'll even let you use 16Meg partitions
and the Amiga will smoke your eyes. We're talking 800 - 900K bytes/sec
transfer rates bud.

>Sorry for the length...

me too, software wise the Amiga is ways out front. You can also buy a
68020 Amiga today at a dealer near you. Faster than a Mac II and cheaper
too. Ask for the 2500.

--Chuck McManis

In article <84396@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>> Sure, it irks me that I can't pop up Uniterm while I'm compiling
>> something. Big deal, it doesn't take very long to compile stuff anyway.
>> Fast filesystems are nice that way. That's also an interesting point
>> you fail to summarize in your table - the ST and PC disk I/O are
>> probably the fastest around.
>
>And this is where is all breaks down. That second sentence is called a
>rationalization. When I program I often start up a paint program to design
>icons, start other compiles, and pass data back and forth between my compiler
>envrionment and editing environment. Multitasking is a lever that is quite
>powerful, if it weren't Bill Gates and John Scully wouldn't be trying so
>damned hard to get it on their systems no? Finally, if you get a chance

True 'nuff. I guess I shouldn't be harping on this point, particularly
since I use Minix anyway. (Hey, anyone interested in a port of TOS to a
Sun 3-280? Just kidding, really. I think...  }-)

>try the Amiga Fastfilesystem on a Quantum 80S. Try on a freshly formatted
>one and one that is 80% full. We'll even let you use 16Meg partitions
>and the Amiga will smoke your eyes. We're talking 800 - 900K bytes/sec
>transfer rates bud.

Well, we're talking pretty nice, I guess. I've got a Quantum 80S on my
machine. I've compared it to an Amiga with the same drive. (At the local
computer store, of course.) Copying 1 megabyte files around on a freshly
formatted (yes, 16 MB, oh well...) partition. My ST was faster. (Did I
say "was?" Still is, too, I think...) Given a sequential read, figure that
having to read 1 meg ought to be enough to defeat any speedups due to
track caching and such. Though since they were two identical drives, you
wouldn't expect any of that to be an issue at all. The Amiga guy at the
store suggested that the ST gained from a 1:1 sector interleave. Since the
ST DMA controller is supposed to max out at 1MB/sec, you can see that the
difference wasn't all that great. But, we clocked the Amiga around 500-600K
per second, and the ST at around 700-800K.

I suppose this can't really be all that conclusive. After all, it's a
mechanical device, prone to inconsistencies from imperfections. (I mean,
a couple times the ST clocked at 1 MB per second. Many times it timed in
a lot slower, like 500K or so. What can you tell from that? Seek delays?
That should only be a couple milliseconds difference, right?)

--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu
/ /(_/(__                University of Michigan
    /           Computing Center          College of LS&A
   '              Unix Project          Information Systems

ecs40hw036@minnie.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000047834;3200;250;205;ecs40hw) (01/18/89)

Every computer user will put up with its quirks eventually, and
users are usually loyal to the brand that appeals to them.  There are
more than adequete software titles and programs for the Atari and the
Amiga.  But, Atari ST is more of a solid, computer aimed for the user
because GEM has less quirks than Workbench and it uses more reliable chips.
The Amiga, on the other hand, is more well suited for specialized uses
less MIDI, which is the ST's strong suit.  However, I like the ST because
of certain personal reasons...

Ever since Pong came out, Atari developed a unique personality.  The 2600
represented a elegant stroke of ingenuity, more so than Coleco in its day.
Other machines had more power, but the 2600 sold.  Atari users knew their
game systems were inferior, but they remained loyal.  Then came the
opinion of the masses...  When the 400 and 800 came out, and the loyal
Atarians or would-be hackers picked it up, others would say, why not
Apple?  Or why not IBM?  You mean you bought a $1000 game machine?  From
the beginning, Atarians had to defend themselves to death wherever they
tread, unless of course, it was safe Atari territory.  A sort of brotherhood
developed amongst Atarians that stood together through the failed Morgan
stint, the 7800, the Marie, the invincible days of '82, the days when it
seemed Atari would meet an early grave in 83, the 1400XL, and finally, the
somewhat rebirth of Atari with the ST.  Of course, some Atari users are
unaware of this, but there is a core of truly loyal Atari users who give
Atari so much personality.  That is why I am an Atarian.

-Andy