[comp.sys.atari.st] X Server for the Atari?

twolf@homxb.ATT.COM (T.WOLF) (01/13/89)

Does anybody out there know of an X11 Server for the Atari ST?  I know that
someone mentioned a full X10 implementation that came with his/her operating
system (was it Minix or Xenix...dunno).  Anyway, I am just looking for a
Server that works over the ST's serial (or any other port) line.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tom Wolf
Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ			E-mail:  twolf@homxb.att.com

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Fariborz Skip Tavakkolian) (01/18/89)

In article <2802@homxb.ATT.COM>, twolf@homxb.ATT.COM (T.WOLF) writes:

> Does anybody out there know of an X11 Server for the Atari ST?  I know that
> someone mentioned a full X10 implementation that came with his/her operating
> system (was it Minix or Xenix...dunno).  Anyway, I am just looking for a
You are refering to STX, IDRIS combo.

> Server that works over the ST's serial (or any other port) line.
> Any info would be appreciated.
> Tom Wolf
> Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ			E-mail:  twolf@homxb.att.com

Using the serial line for X10 or X11, will be an exercise in futility.
If you have access to layers sources for the 630 or the original Blit
terminal, you would be much better off using it.  Granted, there will
be some work in porting it.

From what I've seen, ``UW'', may be a good solution. On S5R3 you should
be able to use the TLI services to implement the back-end for UW.

I have not considered running STX using SLIP(serial line IP), under IDRIS.
May be I'll try it and let you know.  I would not hope for much though.
It runs very well with TCP/IP over Ethernet. (Sorry , we do not produce
the Ethernet cards commercially).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely
--