[comp.sys.atari.st] Migraph Touch Up needs dongle

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (01/15/89)

Since it is not mentioned anywhere in the ads or the package, I thought
that people considering purchasing Touch Up from Migraph would like to know
that it won't run without a dongle on your parallel port.

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (01/17/89)

| Since it is not mentioned anywhere in the ads or the package, I thought
| that people considering purchasing Touch Up from Migraph would like to know
| that it won't run without a dongle on your parallel port.
----------

 Um, what's a "dongle"? (I am interested in Touch-Up, and I'm pretty sure I
 don't have one of these exotic things).

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

sl161011@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (01/18/89)

In article <5440011@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>{[Touch Up needs a dongle]
>
> Um, what's a "dongle"? (I am interested in Touch-Up, and I'm pretty sure I
> don't have one of these exotic things).

A dongle is a piece of hardware that comes with a piece of software that
must be present for the software to run.  In this case, the dongle must be
plugged into the parallel port for Touch Up to run because the software looks
for it.  This is a hardware oriented solution to pirating.  You can copy the
program, but it won't run without the dongle, so giving the program to
someone else will do no good, unless they too have a dongle.  The problem
comes when the dongle must be plugged into the same place something else
might need to be plugged.  In this case something like a parallel printer.
I don't have Touch Up, so I don't know if there is a way to plug both a
parallel printer, and the Touch Up dongle into the parallel port.  Probably,
the Touch Up dongle has the facility to have a parallel printer plugged
into it, but even this might cause some problems with certain printers if
the Touch Up dongle affects the signal strength at all.  Certainly when
buying Touch Up, you should ask about this possible problem.
sl161011@silver.UUCP                                    Kevin B. Clendenien
"My dongle is bigger than your dongle"

keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) (01/19/89)

Hey Thomas,

     For those of us who are definitely that literate.....what the

heck is a dongle???     Thanks,

                        Keith Groves

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (01/19/89)

Dongle: Hardware device required for operation of software, a form of copy
protection.
   For the ST, These generally go into the cartridge port, but on the Amiga
many go into the joystick port.  The program in question (Touch Up!) requires
one in the parallel (printer) port.