[comp.sys.atari.st] Looking for an Exorcist

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (01/08/89)

Good Day all

John Kawakami writes:

I won't quote him, but he says that the ST's user interface is not easy
to use due to its bugs, he says it's harder to use than an IBM, and
doesn't compare with the mac.

********* Flame On *********

How much have you used these computers?

Take mac paint and Neochrome.
      Both are made by the companies that made the computer
      Both are limited in features and have the same basic features
   I have never found an error in NeoChrome (and I'm using a pre-release
version, .5 I think), but I bomb often (especially when printing) when
using Mac Paint (I of course stopped using it).

The mac doesn't offer a good programming environment, it seems that
every time I try to do something, the stupid OS gets in the way (with
the mac of course) but with the ST, you don't deal with gem unless you
call it yourself!

Also, I am using system 6.0 (haven't got an update yet) and cannot run
many programs due to poor memory allocation!

I have run into serious errors (OS errors with system bombs/lockups
etc.)  many times on the mac, and although I know there are errors on
the ST, I have never come across them!

The clincher is this:  I use my ST over four times as much as I use my
mac, and I have come across more errors in the OS and software of the
Mac than on the ST!

All I can say is that you must be jealous of how great the ST is
compared to the mac, and the fact that everything for the mac costs so
much more!

*** Flame Off ***

Aric Friesen Addresses:  Genie:  A.FRIESEN ARPA:
Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

P.S.

Why do Atari haters read and post to the ST net?  Why don't they STOP?!

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/08/89)

> Why do Atari haters read and post...

I'm not an Atari hater. I've got two Atari 800s, and they're great. I see Atari
as suffering from a disease that goes by the name Jack Tramiel...

If it wasn't for him the Amiga would be an Atari product.

Yeh, an exorcist sounds like a great idea.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (01/17/89)

Another good thing about the Atari ST computers are the computer bulletin
boards (bbses). They are generally FREE, there are literally hundreds of them
and you can chat with sysops on them. The FOREM ST bbs program is probably the
BEST bbs program available for ANY computer (it certainly beats the daylights out
of RedRyder host mode).

The Mac bbses charge $25 and most are susbscription boards. Just try to find a FREE
Mac bbs. and they have primitive file xfer protocols.  I have seen a mac friend
spend hours trying to d/l files unsuccessfully because of poor Mac xfer
protocols.

And the Mac has a tiny, dinky, little monitor. and it doesn't have color!!

The ST has both color and monochrome, and if you spend about $600 for a fancy
hi rez multi-sync color monitor you can do BOTH color and monochrome on the
same monitor.

And with the spectre 128 cartridge/software you can run about 90% of all Mac SE
software (but not MIDI stuff).

So, for what I do, I really LOVE my two STs!! I would recommend them over a Mac to
all but a confirmed Mac weenie!!

Richard (MWC is great!!) Coverft

venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda) (01/20/89)

In article <40e6cb36.14e07@gtephx.UUCP>, covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

> Another good thing about the Atari ST computers are the computer bulletin
> boards (bbses). They are generally FREE, there are literally hundreds of them
> and you can chat with sysops on them. The FOREM ST bbs program is probably the
> BEST bbs program available for ANY computer (it certainly beats the daylights out
> of RedRyder host mode).

Please do not exaggerate!
Generally, most of BBS in world are free. FOREM BBS is NOT by ANY mean the
best BBS written for any computer. Maybe (maybe) it is the best for ST,
but i would not say that too.
I have been running Citadel BBS for ST for 9 months, then i switched to
FOREM, which is surely more powerful, but has as many holes as swiss cheese.
It crashes, it looses messages, it has NO network (you must BUY the network
package apart).
Now i am tired of Forem, and i am looking at MagPie BBS under Xenix.
This is the best i saw around, until now.

> The Mac bbses charge $25 and most are susbscription boards. Just try to find a FREE
> Mac bbs. and they have primitive file xfer protocols.  I have seen a mac friend
> spend hours trying to d/l files unsuccessfully because of poor Mac xfer
> protocols.

This is TRUE. Mac has been the last among computers to get Zmodem working!
By the way, did some1 see it around?

> And the Mac has a tiny, dinky, little monitor. and it doesn't have color!!
>
> The ST has both color and monochrome, and if you spend about $600 for a fancy
> hi rez multi-sync color monitor you can do BOTH color and monochrome on the
> same monitor.
>
> And with the spectre 128 cartridge/software you can run about 90% of all Mac SE
> software (but not MIDI stuff).

Not true. If you play with your Mac, you don't care about crashes.
If you work, you ain't gonna use an ST with a kinky emulation.
I have both Aladin and Magic Sac, they are fine for playing.
A Mac is always a Mac, let's be serious.

> So, for what I do, I really LOVE my two STs!! I would recommend them over a Mac to
> all but a confirmed Mac weenie!!

If i had money, i would buy a Mac: it has better software, and it's a professio-
nal machine. My ST is just fine, and worths at least double the price it costs.
Why complaining about Mac?? It's a great machine. Let's talk of Atari.

> Richard (MWC is great!!) Coverft

          ^^ You never used Turbo C, my dear! I have both, and CAN compare.

--
Paolo Ventafridda     Via Ottoboni 6,20148 Milano - Italy      Tel.+392-4032432
EUnet:blue@altger  eucon:venta@i2ack   BANG:{pyramid,altger,tmpmbx}!i2ack!venta

The-Sorcerer@cup.portal.com (Douglas P Dionne) (01/21/89)

venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:

> I have been running Citadel BBS for ST for 9 months, then I switched to
> FOREM, which is surely more powerful, but has as many holes as swiss cheese.
> It crashes, it looses [sic] messages, it has NO network (you must BUY the
> package apart).

Apparently you don't know what you are doing, Paolo.  I have been running
FoReM ST for over two years now, and the only system crash that I *ever*
had was due to a faulty Supra hard drive.

I have over 200 *active* users, with over 80 meg of BBS "stuff" currently
under the control of FoReM.  So, you can't say that I don't have heavy
usage.

Sounds like a hard drive problem to me.  Either that, or you need FOLDRXXX.PRG
in your AUTO folder.

the-sorcerer@cup.portal.com
Douglas P. Dionne