[comp.sys.atari.st] Super Res

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (01/17/89)

In article <3294@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The Atari has a maximum possible resolution, using every trick in the book,
>of something like 262 by 704 by 512 colors.

Would someone care to explain this technique to me so I can put it in my book
of tricks. I can mix screen modes and palettes but getting a screen res of
704x262 sounds weird to me. I reckon its a perverted medium res screen but I
would be happy with a 16 colour 352x262 low res one if it is stable enough to
use.

>Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
>...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/21/89)

I have to back off on this claim:

In article <3294@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The Atari has a maximum possible resolution, using every trick in the book,
>of something like 262 by 704 by 512 colors.

This claim is something like Shannon's Theorem. I know it should be possible,
given the hardware and the resolution of a monitor, but I have no idea how.
You would have to find some way to keep pumping pixels during the vertical
blanking period. It's easy on the Amiga, but may require hardware hacking on
the ST.