[comp.sys.atari.st] TCP/IP for Atari ST

wxh@a.lanl.gov (William x Harvey) (01/20/89)

Recently someone posted to the net that karn@flash.bellcore.com had
implemented TCP/IP protocols for the PC.  This is true, but he does not
have an implementation for the Atari ST.  Does anyone out there have
such a creature?

frg@jfcl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (01/21/89)

In article <811@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (William x Harvey) writes:
>Recently someone posted to the net that karn@flash.bellcore.com had
>implemented TCP/IP protocols for the PC.  This is true, but he does not
>have an implementation for the Atari ST.  Does anyone out there have
>such a creature?

Yes, the Karn software has been ported to the ST by Walter Doerr
(DK2GG).  The current version 871225.33a for the ST, with NET/ROM
and Finger support thrown in for good measure, is available by
copying NET33_ST.ARC (sources are NET33SRC_ST.ARC, if I recall) from
the net.  NET33_ST.ARC is known to be on TOMCAT.GSFC.NASA.GOV (which
is an AT running the Karn software).  The sources are known to be on
BOBCAT.BBN.COM.  (I put them there.)  They may also, by now, be on
one of the regular distribution points such as the /hamradio directory
at UCSD.EDU.

It works fairly well, but do be advised that it's not a speed demon;
with a 1200 bps AX.25 connection, the program on the ST is fairly
hard pressed to keep up with the traffic while doing Trace.  But
it's a fairly clever, tolerably robust implementation.  (I haven't
tried out the MIDI ports, but it supports them too.)

In article <811@a.lanl.gov> wxh@a.lanl.gov (William x Harvey) writes:
>Recently someone posted to the net that karn@flash.bellcore.com had
>implemented TCP/IP protocols for the PC.  This is true, but he does not
>have an implementation for the Atari ST.  Does anyone out there have
>such a creature?

Yep. I ported the 871225.31 version to TOS, and added support for MIT's
SLFP (Serial Line Framing Protocol). Get it off him1, in PC7:, (look for
"ka9q?" there.)

Slowly beginning to work on his NOS version. ("Network Operating System"
multiple tasks, BSD sockets, other goodies...)
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu