[comp.sys.atari.st] Turbo C, 68020 German board

#FJMORA@WMMVS.BITNET (01/21/89)

Hello,

I subscribe to the German ST Magazin (very good) and I saw a couple
of interesting tests ans reviews in the last two issues.
1) Turbo C was reviewed versus Laser C. Overall, it is faster and
produces a better code (although I don't know if the PC-relative
addressing mode is used or not).

2) A 68020-68881 board was reviewed. It is expansive but fast.
The installation requires a trained dealer and some faith in Lady Luck.
CPU intensive operations show a 20fold speed increase. Please German
STers, confirm it, somebody borrewed those issues and I just can't
remember the exact figures, price, compatibility.

Disclaimer: as far as I can tell, I did not dream. This is not,
repeat not, yet another silly rumor.

Please, German net readers, post more info about it. Too many people here
believe that just because the US don't show a good support for the ST,
the whole world do the same thing.

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              BITNET:
     The College of William and Mary            #fjmora%wmmvs.bitnet
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA                                        GEnie:  F.MORA

     *                                                                        *
     * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
     *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
     *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *
     *                                                                        *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (01/23/89)

In article <8901210142.AA17772@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> #FJMORA@WMMVS.BITNET writes:
>2) A 68020-68881 board was reviewed. It is expansive but fast.
>The installation requires a trained dealer and some faith in Lady Luck.
>CPU intensive operations show a 20fold speed increase. Please German
>STers, confirm it, somebody borrewed those issues and I just can't
>remember the exact figures, price, compatibility.

There are 3 such boards around here.

As far as I know, they arn't wort the money (020/881; new housing for
ST...) when run with the patched TOS (you know, TOS won't run with the
020, cause Atari used the Line-F opcodes for some system primitives).
Extra speed is about ten to twenty per cent...

Run under RTOS (an multitasking realtime system designed to support the
PEARL languane), it can speed up processing of floating point by up to
500 per cent.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
In a space in the forest, on an empty patch of wet ground between a