[net.wanted] self winding watches

nicholso@hpda.UUCP (Ron Nicholson) (10/02/85)

{cannonical first line}

I'm looking for a good quality, mechanical, self-winding wrist watch.
For the past several years, all that I've seen have been quartz and
cheap wind-up watches. If anyone knows who still makes self-winding
watches and where I might find a sales outlet, I would appreciate it
if they sent me a pointer.

				Ron Nicholson
				...ucbvax!hpda!nicholso

jfb@iuvax.UUCP (10/07/85)

ROLEX makes a "good quality self-winding wristwatch".  You can find
them at any authorized ROLEX dealer.  Beware of oriental imitations
which are on the market.  A ROLEX will run you about $1000.  You can
get them for less if you are traveling in Switzerland (about 700).  Or
if you like you can spend $14,000 or more depending on case settings
etc.

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (10/07/85)

In article <1212@hpda.UUCP> nicholso@hpda.UUCP (Ron Nicholson) writes:
>I'm looking for a good quality, mechanical, self-winding wrist watch.
>For the past several years, all that I've seen have been quartz and
>cheap wind-up watches. If anyone knows who still makes self-winding
>watches and where I might find a sales outlet, I would appreciate it
>if they sent me a pointer.

i have a rolex, which is a GREAT mechanical, self-winding watch.  it is
more accurate than my old pulsar quartz analog watch. there are only
a few companies that make the type of watch you're after, (almost all in
switzerland), and you do have to pay to get one, but it's worth it.

try calling:

	marcus & co.   1-202-331-0671   	(washington d.c.)

and asking for their catalog.  the people are nice.  after you check
around you'll see they have very good prices (1/3-1/2 off retail).  i didn't
get my rolex there (girlfriend picked it up in geneva) but a friend of mine
got one from them, and was very satisfied with the service.  in the states
this is the best way to buy a quality watch. i had checked around a lot
before i lucked into getting mine directly from europe, and marcu&co. seemed
the way to go.  very good with service, delivery, answering questions,
warranties etc. etc.

	tick-tick-tick-tick,

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

ps: if you stay away from the 18K gold the prices aren't as bad as you
might think, and you get the exact same "guts" that are in the $5,000+ watch.