[comp.sys.atari.st] Supra/Control Panel Clash!

jdp@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) (01/19/89)

I have a 1040st and just recently (last weekend) purchased a Supra
30 megabyte hard disk.

I carefully followed the installation instructions, formatted the
disk and installed the proper files into the auto folder so that
the date/time would be fed to the system automatically upon booting.

I turned everything on and saw the "system date set" message flash
on the screen and expected everything to be kosher.  I clicked on
the ONLY desk accessory I have installed (Control.acc) and it displayed
the 1985 date...

Thinking I must have missed setting the Supra clock, I ran the supplied
set clock program and was dismayed to see that the supra had the correct
date/time but the system didn't.

I manually ran the supclkrd program and sure enough, it updated the system
properly.  Turning everything off, I rebooted again and it failed to load
the system with the date and time.

I called Supra on Tuesday, and they told me to remove the Control Panel
accessory and try it.  It worked!!  So I can't have the control panel
on my hard disk if I want the system date/time to be set at boot????

This seems to indicate that I will either have to manually run the
clock read program at every boot or learn to live without the control
panel...

Anybody have any suggestions??

  Jerry Pierce
  pacbell!pbhyf!jdp

dcripe@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM (01/19/89)

I also have a Supra hard disk and noticed the same problem with the clock read
program.  After several days of frustration, I moved things around in the
root folder and the AUTO folder and it worked!  Seems like maybe the order of
things in the folders makes a difference or something.  Try it out.

	Dan Cripe
	Motorola, Inc.
	dcripe@mcdurb.mot.com

Disclaimer:  These lies are mine alone.  Motorola doesn't know about them and
probably never will.

dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (01/20/89)

> Anybody have any suggestions??
>
>   Jerry Pierce
>   pacbell!pbhyf!jdp

It sounds like you are still using the version of the control panel
that came with the initial release of the ST.  A year - year and a half
ago Atari distributed a revised control panel accessory that fixed
this bug, and in general is cleaner (doesn't need as many desk accessory slots, etc.)

mike@ncrcpx.UUCP (Mike Reiss) (01/21/89)

In article <1989Jan19.143900.14627@mntgfx.mentor.com> dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) writes:
>> Anybody have any suggestions??
>>
>>   Jerry Pierce
>>   pacbell!pbhyf!jdp
>
>It sounds like you are still using the version of the control panel
>that came with the initial release of the ST.  A year - year and a half
>ago Atari distributed a revised control panel accessory that fixed
>this bug, and in general is cleaner (doesn't need as many desk accessory,
>slots, etc.)

Where do I sign up ???  I've never even heard of this and I've read alot
about the ST.  Where can I get one of these?  Can someone put it on the
net???  It is PD isn't it ???

thanks,

mike

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/21/89)

Jerry Pierce says, in reporting an incompatibility between the Supra clock
and the Atari control panel ACCessory:
>This seems to indicate that I will either have to manually run the
>clock read program at every boot or learn to live without the control
>panel...

Just curious, Jerry, but what do you use the Control Panel ACC for?
I think I used it once or twice when I first got my ST, but it's been lost
on some disk or other ever since..

Also, I think I remember that there was a "fixed" version of the Control
Panel ACC that corrected some kind of problems, in the time setting area,
if I remember correctly.  Do you know if you're using the original or the
"fixed" version?

BobR

dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/27/89)

In article <26800018@mcdurb>, dcripe@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
> I also have a Supra hard disk and noticed the same problem with the clock read
> program.  After several days of frustration, I moved things around in the
> root folder and the AUTO folder and it worked!  Seems like maybe the order of
> things in the folders makes a difference or something.  Try it out.
> 	Dan Cripe

Well...  In my feeble memory there is this vague notion that the control panel
gets its date from the keyboard clock when it is started, which is often not
set by the clock setting programs that come with hard-drives and/or NV clock
chips.  The \auto folder program sets the TOS time from whatever clock and the
control panel comes up later (since it is a desk accessory) and resets the
time to whatever the keyboard clock says.   This gets even more confusing
when you are running this old code on a Mega, which has a built in NV clock
as well because some clock setting programs that have been floating around
use the IKBD protocol to access the keyboard clock.  In any case, sometimes
you need to make sure that the \auto clock setter sets the keyboard clock
before the control panel is loaded.

    Daniel A. Glasser                           One of those things that goes
    ...!persoft!dag                             "BUMP!!!(ouch)" in the night.
 ---Persoft, Inc.---------465 Science Drive-------Madison, WI 53711-----------