[net.wanted] Wanted VCR info.

olivier@butler.UUCP (Charles Olivier) (10/01/85)

I'm looking for a VCR that has more that 230 lines of
horizontal resolution (like 260 & above & VHS perferable
and 1/2 inch tape).  Any suggestions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

			Charles Olivier
			P.O. Box 2249
			Kirkland Wa 98083

		uucp:	...uw-beaver!{tikal,teltone}!dataio!butler!olivier
		& Email

brown@nicmad.UUCP (10/04/85)

In article <145@butler.UUCP> olivier@butler.UUCP (Charles Olivier) writes:
>I'm looking for a VCR that has more that 230 lines of
>horizontal resolution (like 260 & above & VHS perferable
>and 1/2 inch tape).  Any suggestions?

You will have to keep looking, as the beast doesn't exist.  SuperBeta is
supposed to come close to 260.

For higher resolution, I use 3/4" Umatic.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (10/07/85)

     There are several manufacturers of YIQ-type Beta and VHS vcr's, with
luminance response to (supposedly) 4.2 mHz. This is sufficient for full NTSC
video performance ( ~~ 370 TVL with Kell factor of 0.707). These recorders,
while they use the Beta and VHS tape, are not compatible with home recorders.
They are "high band" equipment.

     Also, you see people who specialize in taking U-Matic recorders and
jacking them up to 11.5 mHz and a modulation index of 1. These are claimed
to be direct colour rather than colour under (the primary source of scuzz
in your VTR image).

     If you want a consumer recorder to do this, forget it. There is nothing
quite like all the comb filtering and overshoot "enhancement" used in this
junk, and MTF numbers are meaningless in a consumer VTR due to the signal
processing.

For highest bandwidth, I use a Sony BVH-2500 and throw out the tie base
corrector's filters.  If you need even more bandwidth, buy a Super Slo-Mo
machine from Sony and modify it (it goes to at least 15 mHz).

David Anthony
C.D.E.
DataSpan, Inc
.