[comp.sys.atari.st] In the same vain: keyboards

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (01/28/89)

	What are the possibilities of attaching a keyboard other than the
one supplied to a Mega?  What kind of signals are on the keyboard port
(or is it <gasp> hard-wired)?

							Thanks,
							 Mike

|        THE InterNet address> davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu           |
|       These are my thoughts and do not necessarily reflect those of    |
|The Ohio State University, IRCC-Facilities Management, Koffolt Computer |
|Graphics Lab, The OSU Chemical Engineering Department, or anyone else...|
|************************************************************************|
|         "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy running across the field?"        |
|                        "Shut up Son, and reload."                      |

In article <1611@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:

>	What are the possibilities of attaching a keyboard other than the
>one supplied to a Mega?  What kind of signals are on the keyboard port
>(or is it <gasp> hard-wired)?
>
>							Thanks,
>							 Mike

The Mega keyboard is connected by a 6 conductor rs-232 cable. Replacing it
with an off-the-shelf keyboard would be an interesting exercise. The keyboard
is much more than just a lot of switches and a decoder, it's really a micro-
computer in its own right. If you never planned to use your Mega keyboard
ever again, you could rip the electronics out of it and try to attach another
keyboard, but it would probably take some effort to match the scancodes up
properly. (You'd probably want access to an EPROM burner so you can generate
a new scan table...)

Note the same applies to a regular 520/1040 keyboard, just that it's all in
one case instead of at the end of a cable.
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu