[comp.sys.atari.st] TT rumours

mike@bnr-di.UUCP (Mike Norman) (01/27/89)

This might sound like a silly question, but ...
(my favourite introductory line when asking a question
on the net :-)

I'v heard some rumours and various other things that Atari
will be producing a real UNIX box called the TT or TT/X
with a 68030 in it.  Has anyone else heard these rumours?
Has the net already chewed this over a million times and
I'm late?

What about it folks?  Opinions, etc gladly accepted.

Mike Norman
c/o
Bell-Northern Research
Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
Usenet path:  {...some large backbone site that goes
  somewhere useful...}!watmath!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!mike

[Warning some offensive material ahead, but good stuff too]

In article <151@bnr-di.UUCP> mike@bnr-di.UUCP (Mike Norman) writes:
> I've heard some rumours and various other things that Atari
> will be producing a real UNIX box called the TT or TT/X
> with a 68030 in it.  Has anyone else heard these rumours?
> Has the net already chewed this over a million times and
> I'm late?
> What about it folks?  Opinions, etc gladly accepted.

#define UGLY_FACT_ZONE
Well, why not consider an Amiga their box has been on sale at dealers
now for a month (UNIX isn't available just yet, but then again it wasn't
for the Mac II either right off the bat. You can still run AmigaDOS
programs). Contrast this with the current state of the "TT".
#endif

Ok, that aside. Looks like Atari Bashing is one again coming into favor
and of course this quickly degenerates into flames, personal insults, and
innuendo. Let's skip that for the moment. How about some constructive
information fed directly to Roy Good (via this newsgroup) on what the
Usenet sampling of users wants Atari to focus on. After all in a constrained
environment you can only do so much. I offer the following Agenda items
(in a first pass priority ordering) to pass on to Atari. Feel free to
add your input as "things you think Atari should be working on now, and
what you are willing to give up if they go an do it."

	1) TOS 1.4 - Number one priority 'cuz it affects most people.
	2a) Blitters All around - upgrades to blitters for everyone
		either via a socket upgrade or a motherboard swap.
	2b) 520/1040 <--> Mega upgrade program. Might also be reasonable.
	3) 32 bit version of an Atari machine in production with at least
	 	some backward software compatibility.
	4) A technical support program for developers.

That's my list, what 'cha think?

--Chuck McManis

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/29/89)

Chuck McManis gave us his wish list and asked other people to give theirs.  I
love wish lists, but mine is different from his.
     1) TOS 1.4 (we agree on this one)
     2) A faster ST (he may include this in his wish for a 32-bit box)
     3) Video at least as good as VGA
     4) All-around improved hard disk support (bigger, faster, easier)
     5) Don't gratuitously block upgrade possibilities

Frankly, I like the present ST very much, and consider many of its problems
'version 1' types of things.  So my wish list doesn't aim at a new machine, it
aims at 'version 2' of the ST.  Think of it as original IBM PC vs AT: the AT
was mostly just a cleaned up version.  I can wait (a LONG time) for Atari's
analog of the PS/2.
                                      Steve J.

c60c-3ds@web-4c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (01/29/89)

As long as everyone (well, some people) are making wish lists:

	0) TOS 1.4, at a reasonable price (like free)
	1) better developer support
	1a) "official" ST docs in bookstores.
	2) either trade up options, or ST card cage box
	3) more STs
	4) better customer support
	5) release portable and TT and ATW
	10) $600 cash so I can buy stuff :)