[comp.sys.atari.st] Wanted -- fonts for DVIEPS and DVIST for the ST port of TeX

dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/06/89)

I've collected 'kibo's TeX postings from CI$, and have played around with
them a bit -- I found that there are not enough of the font image files
for the DVI filters to give good results.  The TeXST.tex file uses a size
of a font that is not available in the supplied 'pk' fonts.  DVIEPS uses
a (much) smaller size and produces unreadable mathmatical formulae, DVIST
just quits since it cannot find a close enough match on the size.

Is there any source (BBS or UUCP) for more of these font files?  Even better,
is there any PD port of Metafont to the ST so I can create whatever fonts in
whatever sizes I need?  Some of this may have passed by in
comp.binaries.atari.st or comp.sources.atari.st, but unfortunately, my system
only gets comp.sys.* and news.*, no sources, alt, or binaries groups.
    Daniel A. Glasser                           One of those things that goes
    ...!persoft!dag                             "BUMP!!!(ouch)" in the night.
 ---Persoft, Inc.---------465 Science Drive-------Madison, WI 53711-----------

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James Parry) (01/17/89)

In article <814@per2.UUCP> dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
>I've collected 'kibo's TeX postings from CI$, and have played around with
>them a bit -- I found that there are not enough of the font image files
>for the DVI filters to give good results.  The TeXST.tex file uses a size
>of a font that is not available in the supplied 'pk' fonts.  DVIEPS uses
>a (much) smaller size and produces unreadable mathmatical formulae, DVIST
>just quits since it cannot find a close enough match on the size.
 I have uploaded more fonts to CIS since you posted this...
 I'll also upload any specific fonts or sizes that you want.  (I have
 a few meg of fonts total here, which is why my whole set has not appeared
 on Compuserve so far.)

>Is there any source (BBS or UUCP) for more of these font files?  Even better,
>is there any PD port of Metafont to the ST so I can create whatever fonts in
>whatever sizes I need?  Some of this may have passed by in
>comp.binaries.atari.st or comp.sources.atari.st, but unfortunately, my system
>only gets comp.sys.* and news.*, no sources, alt, or binaries groups.
 I haven't heard of MetaFont being ported to the ST.  However, I can give
 you the 'Epson' mode definitions that you can use with a standard MetaFont
 on a local system (if you have one handy).  MetaFont comes with the sources
 for all those fonts--all you need is to prepare a little file (which I can
 mail you) that defines what resolution and print quality your printer does.

 Here is a sample entry in a .mf file to define an Epson print mode:

mode_def epson = % normal-size Epson 9-pin fonts
 proofing:=0;
 fontmaking:=1;
 tracingtitles:=0;
 pixels_per_inch:=240;
 blacker:=-.25;
 fillin:=0;
 o_correction:=.4;
 enddef;

you would invoke MetaFont, input this file, say \mode=epson;, and then
input the font definition file you are generating from (cmr10.mf, etc.)
the pixels_per_inch value should be 240 for actual-size fonts (this is the
number in a .gf or .pk font file name.  MetaFont will output .gf fonts;
there should be a program with MetaFont, called gftopk, which will translate
to .pk format.)

These are the values of pixels_per_inch to use for various sizes of fonts
for DVIEPS, given in terms of scaling ten-point fonts to a specific size,
magstep, etc.

% cmr10 at 5pt   (50%)  = 120 pixels/inch
%          6     (60%)    144
%          7     (70%)    167
%          8     (80%)    190
%          9     (90%)    219
%          10    (100%)   240
%          11    (110%)   263
%          12    (120%)   288   <-- \magstep1
%          14    (140%)   329
%          14.4  (144%)   346   <-- \magstep2
%          17    (170%)   415
%          25    (250%)   597

DVIST is much fussier about having the right size fonts available; the set
that were included with it when I got it were almost, but not the right sizes.
You can try renaming the files ocne you find out what it wants.  Or, you can
generate the fonts it needs.  (The pixels_per_inch values above should be
multiplied by .4, and I think then they'll be correct for DVIST.)

Disclaimer: I'm not taking any credit for writing any of these programs or
implementing them on the ST.  I'm just trying to organize a collection of
them.  My thanks to the authors of these programs.

The programs I've uploaded to CIS may also be found (with the exception of
DVIEPS) on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) if you have FTP, and all the programs
are also available on pawl.rpi.edu (128.113.10.2).  I can also e-mail them
to you if possible... remember, if you can't find a font you need on a
local computer system, or can't build it, I'd be happy to do it.

james "kibo" parry             |  "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."
kibo%pawl.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu (internet)
userfe0n@rpitsmts (bitnet)     |  anything i say represents the opinion of my
kibo%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu |  employer, interwox media, which is me.

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/27/89)

In article <191@rpi.edu>, kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James Parry) writes:
| In article <814@per2.UUCP> dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
| >I've collected 'kibo's TeX postings from CI$, and have played around with ....
[ lot's of interesting comments concerning TeX and co. on our beloved ST! ]
| Some of this may have passed by in
| >comp.binaries.atari.st or comp.sources.atari.st, but unfortunately, my system
| >only gets comp.sys.* and news.*, no sources, alt, or binaries groups.

I, unfortunately, haven't seen *any* of this interesting stuff posted
in the above-mentioned groups.  Could someone please post TeX for the ST?

| The programs I've uploaded to CIS may also be found (with the exception of
| DVIEPS) on him1.cc.umich.edu (35.1.1.43) if you have FTP, and all the programs
| are also available on pawl.rpi.edu (128.113.10.2).  I can also e-mail them
| to you if possible...

Many of us do not have access to FTP over the Internet.  I see lots of
messages that mention that one only has to FTP over to foo.bar.edu in
order to download what one wants, but access to USENET news does not
imply access to the Internet, nor the converse for that matter.  I'm
sure that many people are interested in TeX and friends for the ST.
So please post to the appropriate groups.

Thanks for all of us,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) (01/31/89)

In article <279@laas.laas.fr> ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>Many of us do not have access to FTP over the Internet.

This is a problem for many of us.  It's frustrating to know that there's a
lot of good stuff out there we can't get at.

>sure that many people are interested in TeX and friends for the ST.
>So please post to the appropriate groups.

I have to disagree with this.  My TeX collection, including fonts, macro
files, executables, dvi drivers, and source, weighs in at over 2.5 megabytes.
Most of what I have is available on CompuServe; I know people have to pay for
it, but that seems fairer than making a _lot_ of people on the Usenet pay for
something this big.  I like the sources and binaries groups a lot, but in this
particular case, as with GCC for the ST, I think it prudent to not post it.

Of course, my opinion could be wrong ... :-)

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221