[comp.sys.atari.st] Help Needed: PageStream to PostScript

jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) (01/24/89)

I received the updated version of PageStream (V1.5), and have been trying
to write PostScript output to disk, since I don't have a PS printer on my
machine.  So far I've been singularly unsuccessful.

Does anyone have the procedure down pat?  I suspect the problem may have
something to do with not having the required fonts on the output disk, though
I have loaded the font disk when prompted.

I have a 1040ST with only the one (double-sided) disk drive.

While I have your attention, do you know how to make polygons correctly?
With the latest version I don't seem to be able to make PageStream stop
adding segments.  The manual says to double click, but that doesn't stop it.
I have finally just moved the cursor to another icon in the toolbox (such
as "object"), but then the program doesn't recognize the polygon as an object.

Finally, is there not presently a way to get splines, as described in the
manual (see "reshape" command, which appears in the documentation, but not
in the online menus).

Thanks for your enlightenment.  In general I quite like PageStream, and
look forward to learning how to use it effectively.

Layne Jensen                          jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center            ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA

mike@ncrcpx.UUCP (Mike Reiss) (01/24/89)

In article <1374@cod.NOSC.MIL> jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) writes:
>I received the updated version of PageStream (V1.5), and have been trying
>to write PostScript output to disk, since I don't have a PS printer on my
>machine.  So far I've been singularly unsuccessful.

Good luck !!!  I have ask this question on the net twice and have not even
gotten a response.  Either it cannot be done or those who know aren't talking.
If anybody knows the answer, please post it as I am sure many people would
like to do this !!!

mike

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (01/25/89)

  I have some experience with postscript output from PageStream.
  When printing to disk it seems not to print the "%!" character in
  the beginning
  which is required for Postscript devices to recognize that the
  file is a postscript file rather than a normal ASCII file.  As a
  result when you dump that file to a Apple Laserwriter it outputs
  pages containing the postscript commands rather than the actual
  page.  I have to add the "%!" chartacters to the beginning of the
  file to get it work right.  Anyone has similar experience?  The
  version of Pagestream I refer to is the one out on November, but I
  don't know if this bug is still present in V 1.5.

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/27/89)

In article <932@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) writes:

>   I have some experience with postscript output from PageStream.
>   When printing to disk it seems not to print the "%!" character in
>   the beginning
>   which is required for Postscript devices to recognize that the
>   file is a postscript file rather than a normal ASCII file.  As a
>   result when you dump that file to a Apple Laserwriter it outputs
>   pages containing the postscript commands rather than the actual
>   page.

This is nothing new.  When I got the original version of Publishing
Partner there were (and still are) no comments whatsoever in the output
plus they had a control-C at the beginning of the file.  I complained
and they said something like "well, it works on our printer".  As we
use PP to produce stuff that we include in troff output this is a
pain in the ass.  I have been using 'tr' to fix the control-C and
some other stuff but you still can't process the output with a
pager that looks for the reguired %%Page comments.  In other words,
%! is just one of the things missing.

The %! isn't required by the laserwriter.  It sounds like you are
running the output thru the TranScript (Adobe) filter.  If it
doesn't find the %! it assumes you want the file printed as text
and processes it appropriately.

Now, my suggestion: bitch to SoftLogik.  It was over two years ago
that I explained to them why they needed to produce compliant
PostScript.  I would much rather they fixed existing bugs than
add new 'features'.

one of the thing
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) (01/29/89)

In article <1821764@ncrcpx.UUCP>, mike@ncrcpx.UUCP (Mike Reiss) writes:
>>I received the updated version of PageStream (V1.5), and have been trying
>>to write PostScript output to disk, since I don't have a PS printer on my
>>machine.  So far I've been singularly unsuccessful.
> Good luck !!!  I have ask this question on the net twice and have not even
> gotten a response.  Either it cannot be done or those who know aren't talking.
> If anybody knows the answer, please post it as I am sure many people would
> like to do this !!!

I'm having trouble with PageStream 1.5, mostly printing to a printer,
but I did try generating a PostScript file and it works fine (I haven't
sent it to the printer yet, that is a hassle for me, but I do it
sometimes).  You have to be sure to specify file output when you
reconfigure the printer from the global menu.  Did you do this?

Hope this helps.

It is a lot easier to diagnose problems when you give some details,
rather than: "So far I've been singularly unsuccessful."

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (01/31/89)

Here's how to print a document to a PostScript file from within
PageStream:

First, choose Configure Printer from the Global menu. A
screen will appear that says Printer Configuration. Click on Load
and select the PostScript printer driver.

Then move to the section Send To: and click on Disk File.
Click on OK and then move to the File menu and Print the document. It
will ask for a filename and then produce a PostScript file on the
disk.

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
Bach almost persuades me to be a Christian.  -- Roger Fry