[comp.sys.atari.st] Is there a good

matsl@nada.kth.se (Mats Luthman) (01/29/89)

I would like to have some brief information on C-compilers currently
available for the ST. I am iterested in compilation speed (especially
when run on a hard disk if that has an influence on it), prices,
kind of user interface, if there is a lint function or support for
prototypes and so on.

edwin@ruuinf.UUCP (Edwin Kremer) (01/30/89)

In article <775@draken.nada.kth.se>, matsl@nada.kth.se (Mats Luthman) writes:
> I would like to have some brief information on C-compilers currently
> available for the ST. I am iterested in compilation speed (especially
> when run on a hard disk if that has an influence on it), prices,
> kind of user interface, if there is a lint function or support for
> prototypes and so on.

Turbo C is fast (sorry, no hard statistics); I've seen comparison
against Mark Williams, Lattice, Laser and Aztec. Turbo C beats them all,
although MWC has much better debug facilities.

Turbo C is rather cheap, in the Netherlands around Dfl. 250,-, which is
about $120

Two user interfaces: one for commandline Shell freak, the other window
GEM oriented (like Turbo C for MS-DOS).

Supports prototyping (it's use strongly recommended), is full ANSI standard.

Fast execution, uses registers for passing parameters to a function rather
than the stack. Functions that have a variable number of arguments are
an exeception to this, of course...

						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

c60c-3ds@web-3c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (01/31/89)

In article <1089@ruuinf.UUCP> edwin@ruuinf.UUCP (Edwin Kremer) writes:
>Turbo C is rather cheap, in the Netherlands around Dfl. 250,-, which is
>about $120

Are there English instruction manuals (aka documentation) for Turbo C?
And is Borland's support significant enough to wait for a U.S. release?
(Or is their support not worth waiting for).

John Kawakami

edwin@ruuinf.UUCP (Edwin Kremer) (02/01/89)

In article <19722@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-3ds@web-3c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) writes:
> In article <1089@ruuinf.UUCP> edwin@ruuinf.UUCP (Edwin Kremer) writes:
> >Turbo C is rather cheap, in the Netherlands around Dfl. 250,-, which is
> >about $120
> >
> Are there English instruction manuals (aka documentation) for Turbo C?
> And is Borland's support significant enough to wait for a U.S. release?
> (Or is their support not worth waiting for).
>
> John Kawakami

As far as I know, the only documentation is 660 pages paperback instruction
manual, describing the implementation, the user environments and all
libraries (stdlib, toslib and gemlib).
Unfortunately, the book is entirely written in German, which is *really*
annoying. This is what I understood from an article in a Dutch Atari
magazine: Borland USA supplied the parser, Heimsoeth Germany (Munich) did
the real compiler design. No flames if this isn't true !!!!!

You know, most of us Dutchies have been tought German language at school
and have only little problem to read and understand German writing, also
due to the fact that the Netherlands border on Western Germany, but no
doubt I'm really looking forward for an English version....

					--[ Edwin ]--