[comp.sys.atari.st] Mouse behaving strangely...

shao@ai.toronto.edu (Sherwin Shao) (01/14/89)

	I don't know if any of you has ever experienced this, but I'm
going to describe how my mouse is behaving.  Any hints on how to adjust
the mouse would be appreciated.

	1. Movements up, down or right are perfect.
	2. Attempts to move the mouse pointer left causes problems.
	   It does not scroll smoothly, and often seems to be 'blocked'.
	3. Sometimes, abrupt movement of the mouse causes a series of
	   keyboard clicks, and certain characters to be generated as if
	   typed.  (Usually Esc or '1')

Problem 2 above can be altered by adjusting that inside the mouse.  But
what I am actually adjusting is unknown.

Problem 3 is caused by the 'tail'.  Actual cause: unknown.

Help!!!!
--
sherwin shao		shao@ai.toronto.edu
Department of Computer Science

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (01/26/89)

From article <89Jan14.050812est.38521@neat.ai.toronto.edu>, by shao@ai.toronto.edu (Sherwin Shao):

> 	2. Attempts to move the mouse pointer left causes problems.
> 	   It does not scroll smoothly, and often seems to be 'blocked'.

When my mouse behaves like that, I get the ball out and clean it with
dish washing liquid.

kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
kloppen@gmdzi.uucp

guest@dsrgsun.CES.CWRU.Edu (Brad T. Banko) (01/29/89)

In article <959@gmdzi.UUCP> kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) writes:
>From article <89Jan14.050812est.38521@neat.ai.toronto.edu>, by shao@ai.toronto.edu (Sherwin Shao):

>> 	2. Attempts to move the mouse pointer left causes problems.
>> 	   It does not scroll smoothly, and often seems to be 'blocked'.
>
>When my mouse behaves like that, I get the ball out and clean it with
>dish washing liquid.
>
>kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
>kloppen@gmdzi.uucp

glibness aside... i had a similar problem with my 1040ST's mouse after
only about 3 months of use... (the ball was clean... i checked all of the
obvious problems).  i blame it on a shoddy design of the electronics
inside that mouse which was stamped "made in taiwan"... i sent it back to
atari and asked for a replacement, and they complied, but this was a
similar mouse "made in taiwan", and RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX i had the same
problem.  In the meantime, I had ordered a replacement mouse from a
mail order house (send me mail, and I will recommend them to you).
This replacement mouse ($50) was "made in japan", and was of a very
simple design inside.  It has worked fine for the past year or so.

DON'T RESPOND TO "guest@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu"...

SEND ME MAIL AT "banko@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu"

Good luck.

Brad Banko
Columbus, Ohio  USA

ecs40hw036@minnie.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000050000;3200;250;205;ecs40hw) (02/01/89)

I don't understand why all the fuss over the mouse.
My mouse worked fine in the two and a half years I owned my ST.  The only times
my mouse is erratic is when there is dirt on the rollers.
(By the way, my monitor and mouse is made in Japan, and my computer is made
in Taiwan.  I guess the older models of the mouse are made in Japan, before
the opening of Atari's factory in Taiwan.   However, that shouldn't make
a difference, because the factories are all automated, and the factory in
Japan and the factory in Taiwan use the same equipment)