[comp.sys.atari.st] Translator One

kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) (01/25/89)

Hello fellow STers,

Does anybody know of any other device than the Translator One which
will allow a similar function (i.e. read/write Mac disks)?

I am interested in buying such a device, anybody has one for sale?
Thanks.

--
|-^-~--v^v--^^~v~---^-- Kris Iskandar ---^-~~v^-v^---~--v^v^-~v^---~~v^^----
Electrical Engineering Dept. | INTERNET: kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (01/25/89)

In article <19693@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) writes:

> Hello fellow STers,
>
> Does anybody know of any other device than the Translator One which
> will allow a similar function (i.e. read/write Mac disks)?
>
> I am interested in buying such a device, anybody has one for sale?
> Thanks.

There are 3 such devices for the ST.
1. Translator One.  Allows Mac disks to be read or written from within
   the Spectre 128 or Magic Sac emulation.  This is just the same as on
   a Mac, except you must format them using a TOS program.

2. Happy (products?), the folks that made eproms for the Atari 810 floppy
   drives, now have a product that is a Cartridge which allows copying
   a Mac disk to/from a magic format disk.  Obviously it cannot be used
   while Specter/Magic Sac is running as both are cartridges.

3. It is rummored that Dave Small is making a new "translator one"
   for his new company. When/where/if available is not defined.  If it
   comes to be, it will surely work like item 1.

Also, There are several products for PC's that will also copy Mac floppies.
I have Central Point Software for my PC at work.

Howard Johnson
ATT-BL
lzaz!hcj

kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) (01/26/89)

Hello again,
Thanks for all the response to my question on the Translator One.  I've received
some conflicting answers.  Everyone agreed that the Translator One will allow
the Mac disks to be read by the ST.  But, some say it won't let you write a Mac format disk.  Is this true?  I have an ST at home and a Mac at the office.
I would like to be able to just insert disks into both machine and work on them.Hope somebody can clear this confusion.  Thanks.

--

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (01/26/89)

In article <19703@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) writes:

> Hello again,
> Thanks for all the response to my question on the Translator One.  I've received
> some conflicting answers.  Everyone agreed that the Translator One will allow
> the Mac disks to be read by the ST.  But, some say it won't let you write a Mac format disk.  Is this true?  I have an ST at home and a Mac at the office.
> I would like to be able to just insert disks into both machine and work on them.Hope somebody can clear this confusion.  Thanks.

I have Traslator One and you can read and write Mac format disks.
No restrictions.
But its much slower than using Magic format, so I don't use it more
than I have to.  Slow, yes! Always works tho!!!!

BTW: Just to show the kinds of nasties that float arround.
Last week I set out to convert a Mac format disk to Magic for a friend.
I used the floppy copy utility in spectre 128 (running in TOS mode).
No Way.  the copy was happy, but once Spectre started running as a Mac,
Mac would not buy the disk -- it kept trying to FIX a file.

Then I just formated a magic disk (under TOS), and let Mac itsself copy
the disk.  Works perfect.

Either spectre copy is sick, or there is more to copying than first appears.

Howard Johnson
ATT-BL
lzaz!hcj

c60a-2bn@web-3e.berkeley.edu (Lawrence Chiu) (01/27/89)

Kris, the Translator One reads and writes to Mac disks.  However,
this product is supposed to be in short supply.  The Spectre GCR,
from Gadgets by Small, Inc., will be a much faster version of the
Translator One.  I suggest you wait for the GCR.

Lawrence Y. Chiu; University of California, Berkeley.

dlm@druhi.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (01/28/89)

in article <19703@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) says:
> Hello again,
> Thanks for all the response to my question on the Translator One.  I've received
> some conflicting answers.  Everyone agreed that the Translator One will allow
> the Mac disks to be read by the ST.  But, some say it won't let you write a Mac format disk.  Is this true?  I have an ST at home and a Mac at the office.
> I would like to be able to just insert disks into both machine and work on them.Hope somebody can clear this confusion.  Thanks.

	The Translator One(tm) can read, write and format Mac(tm) disks.
Depending on the particular floppy disk drive you are using there *may*
be some limitations.  With some drives the disks formatted by the
Translator One are not writable on a real Mac, since the Mac always
writes to a disk when it is inserted the Mac may crash the disk.
Solution: either format the disk on a real Mac or write protect the disk
before putting it into the Mac.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM (01/30/89)

In article <380@lzaz.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
> 2. Happy (products?), the folks that made eproms for the Atari 810 floppy
>    drives, now have a product that is a Cartridge which allows copying
>    a Mac disk to/from a magic format disk.  Obviously it cannot be used
>    while Specter/Magic Sac is running as both are cartridges.

This is not totally true. The Happy Discovery Cartridge can be ordered with
optional socket so a second cartridge can be used with it. I use one regularly
with my Magic Sac cartridge. I have found no problems with both cartridges
plugged in. In addition the Discovery Cartridge allows you to backup many of
your copy protected programs that could not be copied through software programs
alone.

				Matt Hetman

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (02/02/89)

In article <19693@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Does anybody know of any other device than the Translator One which
>will allow a similar function (i.e. read/write Mac disks)?
>I am interested in buying such a device, anybody has one for sale?

I have a Translator One that has sat on my shelf for a long time.
It is fully functional, and I could be persuaded to
part with it ... make me an offer. If you must have
one now, the used market is more promising as they
are like hen's teeth these days.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP