[comp.sys.atari.st] What are MFM and RLL drives and which should I get?

humtech@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (23050000) (01/25/89)

I've seen talk recently about formatting MFM drives using RLL neither of which
I've ever heard of. I take it that they are some sort of hard disk formatting
techniques or types of hard disks.

Recently, I've decided that it's just too difficult to operate my 1040 via
floppies - I can play games, but I can hardly run a shell and a compiler with
tools.

I have never owned a hard disk before. Does it make any difference which kind
of hard disk I buy? Can I get a controller and cables for anything I get?
I take it that I also need a controller, some sort of power supply (which I
guess I can figure out from the specs on the drive mechanism), and some
cables. I thought I heard something about an adaptor? Do most controllers
support the MFM and RLL types?

I'll probably buy a drive mechanism first so I guess I should make sure I buy
the right one first.

Price is definitely a consideration - I'm on a college student budget! Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (02/01/89)

In article <6102@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:

>I've seen talk recently about formatting MFM drives using RLL neither of which
>I've ever heard of. I take it that they are some sort of hard disk formatting
>techniques or types of hard disks.

MFM and RLL (modified frequency modulation and run lenght limited) are
methods to encode data (bytes) to be stored on media.

They define a timing of the serial signal send to the hard disk (or
received ...).

The information is packed a little denser using RLL. Some (older) MFM
drives cannot take the higher density.
To put more information in the same place, RLL encoding uses less space
for "clock" and similiar signals. That - and the increased density -
squeeze some more capacity out of the same drive; 50% with RLL, 90% with
ARLL (advanced RLL).

Some people say, formatting an non-RLL drive with an RLL controller,
voids the warranty.
This is true for some drives: their media could take the higher density,
but their electronic must no be used with signals, seldom returning to
low level (line drivers blow up...).

Most new drives can be used with RLL. If formatting with RLL does not
work (media not capable ...), the drive isn't hurt and will run with any
MFM controller.

I prefer ARLL over MFM: it gives me twice the capacity and 2.5 times the
speed...

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my Ego, I want it caught and shot.

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (02/04/89)

---
there is an article in the most recent BYTE (feb?) on HD drivers.
i have not read it yet but it looks promising...

-bill