[comp.sys.atari.st] Extended vdi query function

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (01/31/89)

From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)

While testing Ian Lepore's GEMFAST bindings with Sozobon C, I discovered
that he has implemented the VDI extended device inquiry function
as vq_extend(h,f,w) instead of vq_extnd(h,f,w).

Don Farmer's GEMQ bindings and the two reference books I have here
(Pollack & Weber's "Atari ST Applications Programming" and SRM
Enterprises' "Tackle Box ST") all describe the standard name as
vq_extnd, but I have noticed the alternate spelling in a number of
programs I've run across. Also, I think Mark Johnson's libraries also may
use the variant spelling.

Is this a typo or an unresolved disagreement?  If there is one true
spelling for the function call, I'd like to know it.

*   Watch that return address! Reply to:
*   stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org  (UUCP)
*   crash!pnet51!steve@trout.nosc.mil (ARPA)
*   St. Paul Winter Carnival! Hail Boreas! Defeat Vulcanus Rex!

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (02/06/89)

In article <707@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
>From: thelake!steve@stag.UUCP (Steve Yelvington)
>

>While testing Ian Lepore's GEMFAST bindings with Sozobon C, I discovered
>that he has implemented the VDI extended device inquiry function
>as vq_extend(h,f,w) instead of vq_extnd(h,f,w).

Mark Williams uses vq_extnd, but the manual even notes that in some
bindings, the routine is called vq_extend. Just one more case of
poorly set up abbrevs (should have been called vq_xtnd of course :-)
to be consistent).

* Todd Burkey-trb@stag |Man: What's a million years like? God: Like one second.*
*  A member of STdNet  |Man: How about a million dollars? God: Like one penny..*
* The ST Developer Net |Man: Can I have a penny?          God: Just a second...*