[comp.sys.atari.st] Poor support

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (02/06/89)

From: dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley)

[Dan Scott <danscott@atari.UUCP> wrote...]

> ...  That service
> center should get on the ball and contact Service center support @ Atari
> to get the latest rev of the cart plus any other materials that may have
> been re-vamped since they last contacted Atari.

  This brings up a recurrent problem with Atari.  Why is it that Atari
(et-all) seems to think it's the responsibility of the service center to
contact Atari whenever Atari has an update?  What ever happend to the step
of letting the service center know that there is an update available in
the first place?

  Atari acts as though all service centers and developers have the power
to read the mind of Atari and know when to request developer/service info
updates.  I don't know about Atari service agreements, but I'm pretty sure
that there isn't any stipulation about psionic powers being a requirement
to become a developer...  An oversight perhaps??

  I know of a company that registered with Atari several years ago and
paid the required fee to be given developer support...  Have they received
even one newsletter?  Nope...  Were they informed that newsletters were
being sent?  No...  Have they received anything but the initial developers
docs and the very basic beginners set of compiler tools?  (take a guess...)

  Is anyone detecting a pattern here...?

  If Atari would send information to the people who need it rather than
hoarding it, it would go a -long- way twords fixing up the really bad
support image that Atari currently has.  The people really being hurt by
this attitude problem are Atari, Atari developers, Atari service centers,
Atari owners, Atari stockholders...(hmmm.  Anyone see another pattern...?)

  Final (serious) question:  Why doesn't Atari "get on the ball" and send
out developer and service support information to -all- the people who have
paid for it without the service/developer people having to guess what
materials exist that Atari hasn't announced???

--
PS:  Please(!) note that my Reply-To address gets munged by the gateway
I'm currently using for news access so you can't just <r>eply to this

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems